If you're referring to welfare, as in getting a check from the government that isn't ss or whatever, then isn't it pointless as it's not really in existance any longer?
When I got divorced I went and applied. I was told that you must be working 40 hours a week in order to get cash assistance, and that you could only get it for 3 years of your whole life. On top of that if I got it any child support ordered from my husband would go directly to them and they'd keep it. On top of that once I got off of the assistance I would have to pay it back.
Maybe that's just in Ohio, but I'd imagine since it's a government thing it's the same all over. It was reported in our paper a few years ago that only 9 people in our county were getting cash benefits.
Anyhow, I don't think there's a certain percentage requirement on tithes. Give what you have. I don't believe tithing your electric bill is faith, it's just stupid. I've tried it a couple years ago. ROFL I got my electric shut off!
I'm amazed at the amount of hatred among Christians for those who have or do get help from the government. I went to a church ONCE, everyone was driving BMW's and Mercedes and the place was beautiful. The majority of the sermon was spent bashing those "lazy leeches on welfare eating steak with our tax money". If there was no government assistance like that I seriously doubt we'd be paying less taxes, it just would be used to fund more abortions or some other idiotic cause.
Gina