1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Bless US Bible

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JonC, Mar 29, 2024.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't stand that song.

At first I liked it. Then it was OK. But I was serving at the time and every deployment, every ceremony....they wore the song out.

I do like Lee Greenwood. I was in uniform (working) at a resturant with my family and he bought our dinner. I didn't know until the waitress told me (he had already left).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I had quite the similar experience, except I was not in the military. However, the song started really turning my stomach when churches starting singing it on Sunday mornings, often around 4th of July, but sometimes in response to elections and other political events where the church leaders thought the "good guys" won.

I finally walked out of a service in disgust when they started playing the song for the congregation to sing during Desert Storm when the visiting preacher proclaimed that the War in Iraq had "more conversions [allegedly to Christianity] than casualties," totally ignoring the tens of thousands of Iraqis and Kuwaitis who died. While I was definitely in support of the war based on the knowledge I had, I also recognized that the "other side" was mostly made up of draftees rounded up to fight for a dictator that ended up dead or grievously wounded. The God we claim to worship has commanded us to be concerned about the whole world, not just those who our politicians tell us to like or hate. War is a terrible and sometimes necessary thing, but we should not dismiss the suffering and death of those who are not on "Team America."

I had nothing against the man until he decided to make some cash off of a Bible sold as a religious totem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three issues that comes to mind.
    1) Love of country to promote the word of God.
    2) Using the Bible to promote the love of our country.
    3) The appearance of using item 1 and item 2 to make money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably a close explanation of what they mean by “inspired”.

I don’t know about the “fast buck” comment. They may expect to be selling throughout DT’s second term.

peace to you