Each of us in our Christian walk have heard this said by our Christian leaders and peers on many occassions. We know too that to claim to hear from God is a serious affirmation that should never be spoken of lightly as to hear a false word or message that is not from another voice that we hear and attach it to God would be blasphemy and mislead the hearer of that word.
Whenever I hear this phrase proclaimed from the clergy or from laity I take note as we all should, but I also within my spirit question it's authenticity by asking the question: "Oh He did, did He?, so what DOES the voice of the Lord sound like???
Don't you wonder too if the 'voice' that you 'hear' is the same 'voice' that every other Christian hears and if maybe His voice is heard differently by different Christians???
In both the Old and the New Testaments, there are firm examples of where God spoke to His people. In the Old Testament I have believed that the voice of YHWH was a physical and audible manifestation of sound waves just like we hear in the natural. When God spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai from out of the burning bush, I accept that God's voice was the same as we would experience in the natural. And when angels have spoken to men, I also accept it quickly as an audible voise of authority. Likewise, when this is expressed in the New Testament I **want to** accept and believe that the voice of the Lord is an audible voice but somehow I find this hard to accept because it has never happened to me.
Jesus says in the following passage:
You see, I think it is absolutely imperative that I 'hear' the right voice each time that that voice speaks to me. I know that I know that I AM a sheep, so HOW will I recognize the voice of my Master if I do not hear from Him in the natural??? Or, should I be hearing from Him in the natural audible hearing of my physical ears???
(Side note: I also regret that there is no other space on these boards to post such a topic as this and have non-Baptists post their responses to these questions that are vital to ALL Christians.)
Whenever I hear this phrase proclaimed from the clergy or from laity I take note as we all should, but I also within my spirit question it's authenticity by asking the question: "Oh He did, did He?, so what DOES the voice of the Lord sound like???
Don't you wonder too if the 'voice' that you 'hear' is the same 'voice' that every other Christian hears and if maybe His voice is heard differently by different Christians???
In both the Old and the New Testaments, there are firm examples of where God spoke to His people. In the Old Testament I have believed that the voice of YHWH was a physical and audible manifestation of sound waves just like we hear in the natural. When God spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai from out of the burning bush, I accept that God's voice was the same as we would experience in the natural. And when angels have spoken to men, I also accept it quickly as an audible voise of authority. Likewise, when this is expressed in the New Testament I **want to** accept and believe that the voice of the Lord is an audible voice but somehow I find this hard to accept because it has never happened to me.
Jesus says in the following passage:
And again in verse 27:John 4: 1-5; 4:27:
1-I assure you, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! 2-For a shepherd enters through the gate. 3-The gate keeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice and come to him. He calls his sheep by name and leads them out. 4-After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they recognize his voice. 5-They won't follow a stranger; they will run from him because they won't recognize his voice. (NLT)
And so it is that I pose these questions to each of you: How does the voice of the Lord manifest itself to you??? What does the voice of God sound like??? And more importantly, how do you KNOW that that voice is NOT the voice of the robber or the thief???27-My sheep know my voice, and I know them and they follow me. (KJV)
You see, I think it is absolutely imperative that I 'hear' the right voice each time that that voice speaks to me. I know that I know that I AM a sheep, so HOW will I recognize the voice of my Master if I do not hear from Him in the natural??? Or, should I be hearing from Him in the natural audible hearing of my physical ears???
(Side note: I also regret that there is no other space on these boards to post such a topic as this and have non-Baptists post their responses to these questions that are vital to ALL Christians.)