1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heretic hunters

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by rsr, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Pete

Pete New Member

rsr, I think it will be interesting when the bank staff see that their machine had a glitch, and they work out who ran off with the cash it spat out instead of taking it in to the staff there :D

<Preacher> "Your honor, I took the money, but only because God told me to....."

<Judge> "Insanity plea huh?"

Pete :D

2. atestring

atestring New Member

I once emailed Hank Hannegraff on his (so Called) Bible answer man website and ask ;
    "Are you the man that writes books slamming prosperity preachers and sells them at $29.95 each with 1,000,000 sold?"
    I was put on his mailing list and his packet that he sent me ask me to donate.
    I wrot him back and told him to take me off of his mailing list and that I would not send him a donation since he thinks prosperity could ruin him.

3. Pete

Pete New Member

Wether doctrinally good, bad, or ugly, just about every ministry has it's hand out.

Someone please grab all these ox by the ears, muzzle them, and lets see what a "holy priesthood/royal priesthood/holy nation/kings and priests/etc" can do...

"Freely you have received, freely give"
    "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Pete (an amateur)

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

The "Bible Answer Man" was Walter Martin, not Hank Hannegraaf.

I listen to the show when I can (which isn't much) and I wasn't aware that the show had it's own website.

OK, first of all, ALL books are expensive.

Second, are you sure they sold 1,000,000 each? That's extremely rare for a Christian book, particularly one that alienates such a large segment of the Christian community.

Third, these books came as a fruit of Hannegraaf's own labor. What you're paying for arethe hundreds of hours and sweat he put into researching these things.

The Word of Faith false teachers, on the other hand, are charging for things that either come under the heading of "ministry", should be free or they offer promises on God's name to get the naive to send money. There's a huge difference between the two.

Fourth, CRI offers quite a bit of materials to the public for free, many containing the same information found in the books.

In fact, I'm very familiar with the CRI website and I can tell you from referrerencing it quite a bit that there's very little in the book that you can't find on the website.

What's more, they've played extensive portions of the audio version of the book on the radio show.

That's a problem with a lot of big minstries, not just CRI.

I've never heard him teach anything like this. Can you elaborate?

5. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Just a note. Earlier this week, we signed up for cable TV, which we hadn't had before. As a result of this conversation, decided to stop by the TBN station for a bit to see what all the hullabaloo was all about. All I can say is what a mess.

Jeff.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeff, if you want the full dose -- and I'm sure you don't -- flip by during a pledge week.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

rsr!! Put your hands on that computer screen! I SAID DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!(SCREEMS HERE WITH EYES SHUT TIGHT !!)

There! I knew God was sending you to that screen so that you can send me that Remington 870--box it up and send it to the address below!!! YES! Peace and prosperity can be yours---mercy!!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

rsr...you going to have to do it extra 2 times...he needs a dryer too. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

Sherrie

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

RSR noted:

I'll pass, thank you very much. I consider myself fairly well educated, well traveled, fairly intelligent kinda fellow. I had no idea such foolishness was going on in the world of religion. I guess I have been sheltered, being a Primitive Baptist type person. Oh well, I'll crawl back into my cave.

11. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Hi folks

Dateline (NBC) is supposed to be running a special expose on Benny Hinn tonight at 8 P.M. EST, December 30, 2002.

Enjoy.

Jeff.

12. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yep! Its on now.

Sherrie

13. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Jeff.

Yes, I watched it. All of it.

I took notes. I was disappointed. No Adam flying. No nine persons of the Trinity.

Oh, well. This is a secular medium. Still, the stench is undeniable. Lots of cash. Big homes. Put it in our pockets, eh? Let's drive a Mercedes-Benz.

One poor woman is giving $12,000 a year to the "ministry," which apparently decides beforehand who is worthy of healing and who is not.

God help us.

[ December 28, 2002, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: rsr ]

14. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I watched the whole thing. Bizarre how folks can justify that whole mess. Ought to be a way to have these folks (Hinn and his ilk) locked up, It seems to me he has long since passed from religion to fraud by deception. Not to mention those thinking they are healed who ignore their physicians. Very very wrong, and very very sad.

Jeff.

15. Pete

Pete New Member

At the end of the show did he give an invitation to "sow into this ministry, become a partner, share in the loot....er.....blessings.." etc etc?

Pete

Edited to add following quote from the man himself: "What's the big deal, for goodness sake? What am I supposed to do, drive a Honda? ... That's not in the Bible. ... I'm sick and tired about hearing about streets of gold [in heaven]. I don't need gold in heaven. I got to have it now."

More at http://www.gospelcom.net/apologeticsindex/h04.html

[ December 28, 2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Titus2_1 ]

16. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. He did. See Baptist Believer's post in the "Did You See Benny" thread in the "News Affecting Baptists Worldwide" forum.

I glossed over the man who rose from the dead.

This is all part and parcel of the Word of Faith movement. "God is speaking to me," good old-time gnosticism. "I know what God wants, but you don't. Listen to me."

Not to mention the deliverance movement. A demon causing cancer and blindness, he?

There is simply too much material to deal with.

17. atestring

atestring New Member

Pardon my ignorance but what is an "ILK"?
    Who is his "ILK"?

18. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

An "ilk" would be those of like methodology or purpose. It is a negative word, couldn't think of a better one at the time I wrote the note.

An example of one I would consider his "ilk" would be Creflo Dollar and Kenneth Copeland. I am sure there are more of them, but I have little exposure to these folks, I only recently signed on for cable TV, and the local stations don't carry much religious broadcasting.

Another vocabulary word for today would be minions. Hinn's minions would be his assistants employed to carry out his evil doings.

Hope it helps.

Jeff.

edited to clarify a point.

[ December 29, 2002, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Weaver ]

19. atestring

atestring New Member

If an "ILK" means those of like methodology or purpose then you will have to admit that the disciples of Jesus and His Apostles are "ILKS."

As far as this being a negative term so was the name "Christian" in Antioch.
    Jesus was called a winebibber by the pharisees and they said that John The Baptist had a demon.
    They might have calld John The Baptist and Jesus a couple of "ILKS."

There were people that accused the 120 on the day of Pentecost of being drunk with "new wine" ( a phrase used 5 times in the book of Joel)
    Would they have used the term "ILK'if they werre alive today?

20. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just thought I'd pass along the good news that the Inspiration Network is in the midst of a big expansion. I have considered it "TBN lite," but the past few nights have seen them out-TBN TBN.

BTW, Reinhard Bonnke has also made hay of a resurrection in Nigeria.