1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you know with certainty that you are saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StefanM, Nov 30, 2016.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, you're not experiencing anything the rest of us haven't except in your case the doubts are amplified due to your condition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see that.

I suppose I'm just scared of the possibility of false conversion because there is a major difference between salvation and damnation.

Overall, as related to my bipolar symptoms, My current medication makes me feel almost like Spock from Star Trek behaves. I know in my head that I need to resolve this, but it's hard to resolve things when I basically feel nothing. I wasn't like that before meds, so I'm used to experiencing a wide range of emotions (good and bad). Because I don't have any emotions to help me understand myself, I'm kind of stuck.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This fear of false conversion is not a feeling? Honestly not nitpicking, just trying to understand.

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used the term imprecisely. I meant something like how logically a false conversion isn't worth anything and that I do have an interest in landing on the correct side of the fence. "I'm scared" basically just means that I am aware of the unpleasant outcome and that I don't want that outcome.

I do care, but it's on an intellectual level rather than an emotional one.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The hard part about those meds is that it can take some time to get them zeroed in where they work best for you. Honestly the best resolution for this doubt and fear you have expressed is prayer and fasting until God does something in your life. See, dealing with doubt and the other things you are struggling with, while there are some medical steps to take, are beyond what you can do yourself. This is the time when you need to rely on God the most. Paul said when he was weak God is strong (in Paul's life). I think there are some real possibilities for you here:

1. You will learn about God in a much greater way through prayer and fasting until He answers.
    2. Because you are at your weakest state God may use you in a huge way to glorify Him in the lives of others.
    3. God may show you something that will forever change your life.

As you go through your days be in constant prayer no matter what you are doing. Be available to be used by God in what ever way He sees fit (i.e. witness, minister to, others). The great commission tells us to "Go". That means "as you go" in other words as you go to the store, as you go to the hardware store, as you go to the park, as you travel from one state to another etc. Be ready, be in prayer, and find as many times to fast food, or other things of pleasure as you can all the while you would have been engaging in those activities pray instead. Continue this process until God makes this trial you are going through clear.

I promise this will work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You been on these meds before or something new?

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Sis. Ann mentioned it earlier, but the reality is, at least it was with me, a lost person doesn't care about their salvation. Pride will say, "Oh yea, i'm going to heaven", usually followed up with some sort of Self Justifying statement...I'm a good person, i belong to a church, etc. The Bible Is very clearly, "These things were written so that you may KNOW you have eternal life." Is your will surrendered to the reality that Christ is the Only Sufficient payment for your sins? Did He raise from the dead for your Justification? Is He coming back to take you with Him to be His for all of eternity? O soul, why are you disquieted within me? Hope in the LORD!

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not this specific combination, but the newest medicine I only tried for a week or so last time. My doctor and I are doing our best to find the best regimen because we've had a lot of failed attempts in that department.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the encouragement.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I certainly don't fall in this category. I would never call myself a good person, and I do go to church, even though it's hard to worship right now.

Is my will surrendered? Honestly, probably not completely. Christ as the only sufficient payment? Sure.

Did he rise from the dead? Yes

Is he coming back to take me with him? I hope so.

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You broke up my first question when it was meant to stay together, brother. Is your will surrendered TO the Truth that Christ is the Only sufficient payment. Meaning, you're not relying on anything else to save your from the penalty of your sin.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice is relax, trust your doctor and give it time to find that goal of the right combination.

Remember, you're the one that's bouncing around all over the place right now, but God doesn't change. He remains faithful even when you're faithless.

Our God is a rock.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about that.

No, I have nothing or no one else to rely on to save me. That is what concerns me greatly. It's either Christ or no salvation. I just want to feel confident that I'm in Christ because he's the only way.

14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He's the only way"--That's a great answer brother! Only The Spirit of God within you would answer in that way! Which is a testimony of the Lord Living within you!

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paradoxically, your assurance should come from knowing that you are a sinner, because Jesus Christ promises to save such (Mark 2:17; 1 Timothy 1:15).
    A great verse for downcast or depressed Christians is Isaiah 50:10.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing the verses. It's an interesting thought about awareness of one's sinfulness as a means of developing assurance. I'll have to ponder that a bit.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would add:

Mat 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Mat 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    Mat 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
    Mat 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've worked together a lot on my medication regimen. Apparently I have a "difficult" time with medication reactions, etc.

Your post is a good reminder of God's faithfulness, though.

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a good patient? :) My experience with some in my life that have this affliction is they take their meds until they get better and then quit taking it, and then it's a matter of time before it comes roaring back.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty compliant. If I have trouble with meds, I'll call the office and report it.

Getting better has been elusive. If anything, I'm getting worse. Unfortunately, that's the way bipolar usually goes over time.