Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
No slur intended. I was interested in hearing from strong or very Calvinists.Originally posted by Pipedude:
Has "hypercalvinist" ever been defined in history somewhere, or is it just a slur for "Calvinist"?
It's a slur to detract from Calvinism.Has "hypercalvinist" ever been defined in history somewhere, or is it just a slur for "Calvinist"?
We all do that in one way or another I don't see why one group should be so named.Hypercalvinism is an actual term used for a group who go a bit farther in their interpretation of fundamental Calvinist doctrines.
"Double predestination?" That's a new one for this music guy. Please explain.Originally posted by johnp.:
I believe in double predestination but many others do not. I think if a person holds the five points that is enough. john.
By predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which he determined with himself whatever he wished to happen with regard to every man. All are not created on equal terms, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and, accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of these ends, we say that he has been predestinated to life or to death. (John Calvin Institutes of the Christian Religion Book 3 chapter 21:5.)"Double predestination?" That's a new one for this music guy. Please explain.
If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. John 7:17You cannot know that you are truly elect.
It means the lost were predestined for Hell, and not merely that the saved were predestined for Heaven.Originally posted by tenor:
"Double predestination?" That's a new one for this music guy. Please explain.
You have ventured a claim and a definition, but now I would like to know where you get this?Originally posted by dale kesterson:
Hypercalvinism is an actual term used for a group who go a bit farther in their interpretation of fundamental Calvinist doctrines.
As far off as catholics are with election, calvinists are just as far off. Catholics believe election is corporate but only within the church, calvinism teaches individual election. True election is corporate, but are for those who are "in Christ"Originally posted by 4His_glory:
And Catholoics are wrong. The Catholic understanding of election is far differnt that what is biblical.
I think that is a good way of looking at it. The bible does not declare a double predestination but logic dictates it. Remember, no one goes to Hell because of sin. I am a sinner and bound for Heaven.To me it always sounded like "I believe that 3+2=5, but I will not affirm that 5-3=2, since the book doesn't expressly say that."
It's a cozy place to be too.But that just goes to show how much Enlightenment humanism has infected this Arminian excuse for a mind.
Okay, that's what I was looking for.Originally posted by dale kesterson:
I found This on Wikipedia.
There can't be a universal call because not everyman hears. The universal call, that is the one that people hear, is do this and live don't do this and die. Is it similar to the law in that the command to believe is there?(1) denying that the call of the gospel to repent and believe is universal, i.e. for all alike, and (2) denying that the unregenerate (natural) man has a duty to repent and believe in Christ for salvation.