In Texas, we get our tax 'bills' in September (property appraisal statements earlier in the year), the taxes are due the next January 31. That is the reason the options were 'lump sum annually' with different ways of raising the money to pay it, and 'in the months leading up to the due date,' but not "semi-annually," because I wasn't aware some states (or at least one) do it that way.
In my own situation, I owe the whole $2290 by the end of theis month, and I wouldn't be able to pay it wihout dropping my main checking account to below the minimum, and there would be a $12 fee for doing that. I sold off 5 stocks which had gone to virtually nothing the last week in Dec., to get the only thing out of them they were worth-- capital losses to knock off 07's income tax. So, to avoid probably 2 monthly bank fees, I would need to sell some of my more profitable holdings, like AT&T or Orbital Sciences, the value of which suddenly went down over $3000. Or else, change banks to one with a lower minimum than $1500. In the meantime, maybe fewer people notice someone is a Scrooge if Christmas has already passed :smilewinkgrin: .