1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How To scripturally Determine the Mind of God on the Modern Practice of Paraphrasing His Words

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JD731, Jun 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reasoning is sensual and you have not met the standard you have required of me. When you do that come back and let's talk some more.

#141 JD731, Jun 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  2. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do have a much different view of the word of God than you. When the scriptures say in places like Heb 4:12 and in 1 pet 1:23 that the word of God is living, I actually think that I have a little understanding of what God means by it. I certainly do not think he is filling space because he wants a certain number of chapters in Peters first letter to the stangers.

If you and I were to communicate what we think God means when he says his word is living, then I would say our understanding of God might be further divided and our contention would be greater. Having said that, I hope you do not go to guessing what I believe before I tell you.

#142 JD731, Jun 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have I told you what you think re scripture, NO. What you have done a number of times is suggest that only the KJV is a valid translation but as yet you have not said which version of the KJV you think is the correct one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not practice what you preach. You seem to keep wildly and inaccurately guessing what others believe, and you keep improperly trying to put words in their mouth and mind that they do not state and do not believe.

This thread seems to be intended to get others to defend something that they have not advocated. This thread seems to be based on a bogus, strawman misrepresentation that does not present accurately what non-KJV-only believers believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning -
    This thread will be closed no sooner than 0730 hrs GMT (Fri) 330 am EDT (Fri) 1230 am PDT (Fri)

6. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you consider the word of God translated into English in the 1537 Matthew's Bible to be living?

Do you consider the word of God translated into English in the 1560 Geneva Bible to be living?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I believe that the bible is the word of God and you say you have a different view than I do what does that say about you?

Do you think that those of us that do not use the KJV do not know what the bible says or lack understanding?

For someone that tells me I should not guess what you believe you sure do a great deal of guessing about what others believe. And seem to think you know how God wants His word spread.

8. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the word of God is living no matter where it is found because God says it is. We just need to be sure we are defining both the word of God and the word living in the same way God does.

Do you have a scriptural definition that will include both those Bibles you asked about in your comments?

Is life translated by all the translations of men as well as the paraphrases which I understand are admittedly not the words of God by their creators? Would the dynamic equivalence of ithe NIV be the word of God and be alive?

I am just asking. If you can prove scripturally that they are then I am ready to believe you.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4:12, ". . . For the worde of god is quycke and myghty in operacion and sharper then eny two edged swearde: and entreth through even vnto the dividynge asonder of the soule and the sprete and of the ioyntes and the mary: and iudgeth the thoughtes and the intentes of the herte: . . ."

Hebrews 4:12, ". . . For the worde of God is liuely, and mightie in operation, & sharper then any two edged sword, and entreth through, euen vnto the diuiding asunder of the soule and the spirit, and of the ioints, and the marow, and is a discerner of the thoughtes, and the intents of the heart. . . .'

1 Peter 1:23, ". . . for ye are borne a newe not of mortall seed but of immortall by the worde of god which liveth and lasteth for ever. . . ."

1 Peter 1:23, ". . . Being borne anewe, not of mortall seede, but of immortall, by the woorde of God, who liueth and endureth for euer. . . ."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My preferred English Bible translation--the KJV has some dynamic equivalent renderings according to what KJV-only advocates have identified as being dynamic equivalence, and it provides no English rendering for some original-language words of Scripture and adds many English words for which it has no original-language words of Scripture.

Do you apply your own stated measures/standards consistently and justly including to the KJV?

According to scriptural truth, the same measures/standards should be applied consistently and justly. The use of any unrighteous divers weights, unequal or false balances, inconsistent divers measures, unfair or untrue judgments, or double standards in evaluating, judging, trying, or comparing original language manuscript copies of Scripture [likewise printed original language texts and translations] would be wrong according to a consistent, sound application of scriptural truths and principles (Prov. 16:11, 20:10, 11:1, 20:23, Deut. 25:13-15, Ezek. 45:10, Lev. 19:35-36, Amos 8:5, Ps. 82:2, Lev. 19:15, Luke 16:10, Matt. 7:2, John 7:24, Lev. 10:10, Ps. 58:1, Deut. 16:18-20, Ps. 19:7-9).

• Like Like x 2
  11. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you prove that the bible you use, KJV, is God inspired. You seem to place a great deal of trust in a version that has gone through so many revisions and corrections.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed
    Feel free to start a new thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.