• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Church Irrelevant?

Stopgap

Member
Well, there's your problem, right there. You got some brain-eating parasite. Lol.

In all seriousness, why?

Are you taking issue with the fact that I was baptized in a body of water, you know, kind of like how Jesus was?

By the way, there is a higher density of parasites that exist in the Jordan River than on the shore of an ocean.
 

Stopgap

Member
May I suggest a reading of 1 Chronicles 29 and John 12:1-8 to you?

I think both prove my point.

We are not required to build temples under the New Covenant, and Judas, like many so-called pastors today, doesn't really care about the poor.

I know you're from the UK, but certainly you must be aware of men like Kenneth Copeland and Joel Osteen.
 

Aaron

Member
Site Supporter
Are you taking issue with the fact that I was baptized in a body of water, you know, kind of like how Jesus was?
I'm asking why you got baptized in the ocean. What led to that decision?

By the way, there is a higher density of parasites that exist in the Jordan River than on the shore of an ocean.
Yeah, right.
 
Last edited:

Stopgap

Member
I'm asking why you got baptized in the ocean. What led to that decision?

If you're asking why I got baptized, it was because I wanted to demonstrate my faith. If you're asking why I was baptized in the ocean, it was because I used to live in a small beach town, and that's where the church did it.
 

Stopgap

Member
It's become increasingly evident that tradition and the lack thereof don't mix particularly well on this site.

Out of respect to several posters on this thread who took exception with my hardline stance, I will be removing my avatar of John Brown and will be signing off for the last time.

So with that, I take my leave of the Baptist Board. Au revoir!
 

atpollard

Well-Known Member
"Everyone who steps through these doors blesses this place. Some when they enter and others when they leave."

(I read that somewhere.) :Whistling
 

Marooncat79

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Actually, i am incorrect when you think about it.

Some churches are apostate and that is per the plan of God at that time

Thats why the true church should be semper reformanda for Gods glory

Those who do not fulfill Gods will in their apostasy and in keeping others in the dark
 

Marooncat79

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
There was nothing about a temple either. In a vast array of aspects, Solomon added to and embellished on the divine pattern delivered to Moses.

But when the cloud of God’s glory filled the temple on its dedication, then it was known that it was acceptable.

The building of synagogues was a custom born of the Jews in exile. It is where they gathered as a community to hear the teaching of the law and hold their courts. It was a practice that was maintained when they were regathered and the Temple was rebuilt.

And the fact that Jesus entered and practiced in community with them, it was a hallowed and natural outgrowth of their religion.

It's the same with the Church, which is Israel now.
Did i read this right?

Solomons Temple is rebellion against God?

Im serious here
 

Aaron

Member
Site Supporter
Did i read this right?

Solomons Temple is rebellion against God?

Im serious here
LOL. You may have read it right, but you're coming to the wrong conclusion.

Here's something else that will blow your mind ... where did the idea that Israel should have a king come from?
 

Ben1445

Well-Known Member
Deuteronomy 17:14
When thou art come unto the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt possess it, and shalt dwell therein, and shalt say, I will set a king over me, like as all the nations that are about me;
 

Kai

Member
I think it says a lot about your spiritual condition by the way you are desperately trying to cling on to your precious church building, even at the expense of distorting Scripture.

I recognize that this poster announced on this thread that they were leaving, but I felt compelled to respond anyway because honestly, this is some of the most offensive material I've seen on the board so far. There's a chance they might come back and read this someday, and even if they don't, I think it could be helpful for anyone lurking.

To begin with, I think there is a pretty important biblical precedent being overlooked here. Consider the synagogue. The Jews were not commanded in the Old Testament to construct synagogues throughout the land. The Temple was the divinely appointed place of worship, while synagogues developed as places where Jewish communities gathered for prayer, Scripture reading, and teaching. Yet when Jesus came, He regularly taught and preached in the synagogues.

Matthew 4:23 says that Jesus went throughout Galilee, “teaching in their synagogues.” Luke 4:16 even describes Jesus entering the synagogue “as was his custom.” If the very existence of a man-made religious building was inherently idolatrous or a sign that people had ceased being the people of God, I would think Jesus would have addressed that. Instead, He used those places to teach the Scriptures. That doesn't mean Jesus endorsed everything that happened in every synagogue. Obviously He condemned plenty of religious hypocrisy. The point is that the building itself wasn't the problem.

I think the same principle applies to church buildings today. We can certainly become overly attached to buildings, traditions, comfort, or institutional structures. We can even allow those things to distract us from the actual mission of the church. Those are legitimate concerns. But that's very different from saying that Christians who construct a building for the purpose of gathering together to worship, pray, teach Scripture, and fellowship have somehow created an idol.

It's true that the early church met in houses, in the Temple courts, and in other places. But the fact that believers can meet in homes, rented facilities, or outdoors doesn't establish that they should only meet that way, and I don't see a command that prohibits them from owning or constructing a place specifically for their gatherings. The location wasn't what made them a church. The people were the church. A building is simply a place where the church gathers.

Regarding the stewardship concern, I agree that if a congregation is pouring enormous amounts of money into a building while neglecting people who are genuinely in need, then I think that's a legitimate issue for Christians to examine. Scripture certainly calls us to care for the poor and needy, and our resources should ultimately serve Christ's purposes. But just because a congregation has expenses whether it meets in a house, rents a facility, or owns one, that doesn't automatically mean that money is being diverted away from the poor. Sometimes owning a building can actually provide a congregation with a place to worship, teach, minister to the community, hold children's programs, provide food or clothing, and serve people throughout the week.

So I have a hard time accepting the idea that the construction of a church building itself represents a departure from biblical Christianity. If Jesus could enter a synagogue that God had never specifically commanded Israel to build and preach the Word of God there, I don't see why Christians today should be condemned simply for having a building where the church gathers. Yes, it's possible for a church to become obsessed with its building, spend irresponsibly, or treat the building as though it were sacred in itself. But the danger isn't the building. The danger is what we make the building into.
 
Last edited:
Top