• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jonah

webdog

Active Member
Site Supporter
I was asked a question I have never heard before.

This lady I work with asked if Jonah had died while in the belly. She said she read it in a Vernon McGee (I think) commentary.

I have never heard of this before.

Have you?
No, on the contrary the fish was sent as a means of saving Jonah's life...it was an act of grace, something that is often overlooked and misconstrued as an act of punishment.
 

PeterM

Member
I've heard both positions... Whether Jonah died or not, isn't the point.

Webdog nailed it!!! Being swallowed and vomited by the fish is an act of God's grace... for Jonah and Ninevah. The parallel (sp?) for us is the cross and resurrection as they are demonstrations of God's grace toward me (us).
 

blackbird

Active Member
No, on the contrary the fish was sent as a means of saving Jonah's life...it was an act of grace, something that is often overlooked and misconstrued as an act of punishment.

I'm currently preaching a series through Jonah

I proposed to the listeners the same exact thing as we read here by Webdog---------that the fish was sent to save Jonah's life from the sea

I read not long ago that meritime rescuers--------upon hearing of a "Man Overboard" distress call-------from the time of the call---they have a 36 hour "Window of rescue" before the search is called off----the search is called off if the person is not found within that 36 hour time frame---and he/she is presumed dead

Survival time in the open ocean----without lifeboat---I mean, if you're there in the water treading it--------rescuers say there is a 36 hour window before one is enveloped by the sea

LSS--------Jonah had a better survival rate inside the fish's belly then he did out in the open sea
 
Top