1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Limited free will

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Van, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't get your distinction. No ones does good --period.

Our first parents were clean and upright --perfect,initially. But since the Fall all have sought out their own devices to use KJV-speak.

Psalm 14 is rather emphatic Winman. All have turned away from God.All are corrupt. No one does good. Not even one!

You cite Scripture which undermines your interpretation. Our best deeds are like filthy rags. Take the Bible as it states it Winman. It doesn't mention anything about a process. It's just plain stinking dirty.

The Bible is against you. From the womb they speak lies.

Evil men know how to give good gifts to their children does not negate the fact that they are indeed evil men.

I got a chuckle out of that one. "No man is perfect" --really Winman?That's your deep theological truth device at work? That's just a mere tautology. The Lord looks down from Heaven on the whole human race --says that all have turned away from God --they are all corrupt --no one does good --not even one.And you, in your superior understanding of Holy Writ declare,"It just means that nobody's perfect!" You're a hoot! I can't wait for your theology to come out in systematic form!
    "No one" is rather absolute Winman. Let's be clear about that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, they respond to the limited faculty of conscience which approves and disapproves but even what the conscience APPROVES does not mean it is "good" in God's sight only in the sight of a limited conscience. But even conscience is violated by the Gentile proving they are not "GOOD" in God's sight as defined by not merely the written Law but their own conscience.

You are attempting to take those actions approved by conscience and claim that makes them capable of doing "good" before God when that is clearly not the case as Paul concludes in Romans 3:9-13.

As even you admitted you can go into the darkest jungles of Africa and you will find a DISTORTED but working conscience. They may not kill and murdre their own families but they will the families of another tribe. Their conscience does not approve killing their own family, but even they violate that whereas it will approve of killing others and God's law does not approve of that. So the inferior conscience provides sufficient evidence to prove they are sinners but never proves they are good or righteous.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Just because no man does good or seeks God does not necessarily mean he is unable to do good or seek God, you are reading that into scripture.

There are many things I have never done that I am able to do. I have never driven my car down the sidewalk and run over innocent pedestrians, but I am quite able to do so.

False.

Ecc 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

The word "they" is plural and points back to the word "man" showing this is speaking of all men, not just Adam.

The word "corrupt" by definition means to go from a good state to a bad state, look it up in any dictionary. You must first be good to become corrupt.

No piece of clothing starts out filthy or torn, all clothing is originally clean and whole. No leaf starts out withered and dead, all leaves start out green, tender, and alive.

You are not thinking things out, you are allowing others to condition your thinking. The scriptures say we have 'become" filthy. The word "become" describes a process.

Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

This is perfectly describing corruption, we were not originally filthy, but we have "become" filthy. We have gone from good to bad.

First of all, no newborn baby can speak any language, so it must be understood this Psalm is hyperbole and should not be used to form doctrine.

Second, all babies when they speak speak the language of their parents. No baby born to English speaking parents speaks French or Spanish. They learn their language from those around them, and this is where they also learn to lie, by hearing others lie.

I agree 100%. But being evil does not mean they are unable to do good. It is not evil to tell the truth. It is not evil to be faithful to your wife. It is not evil to return a lost wallet. Unregenerate men do good things ALL the time.

When the scriptures say there is none good, it is not saying that men are unable to do good, it is saying that no man is PERFECT. For all men have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

No one except Jesus has ever been perfect or just. That is exactly what Solomon taught.

Ecc 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Solomon is not saying men never do ANY good, he is saying that no man is ALWAYS good here.

Jesus said evil men KNOW HOW to give good gifts to their children. This shows unregenerate men have the ABILITY to do good.

Total Inability is utterly false doctrine.

#43 Winman, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No its not.

Everything the unconverted man does is sin against God. But sinning against his fellow man and God at the same time is even worse. He's committing vertical AND horizontal sin at the same time when he steals from his fellow man.

Winman, you are KJVO for heaven's sake. Anybody who could believe that ignorance is stupid to believe anything. You might as well be a snake handler.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, it is not a sin for any man to tell the truth. It is not sin to be honest and return a lost wallet. It is not sin to be faithful to your wife.

If your view is correct, there is no such thing as good. When Jesus told the truth it would have been evil, when he healed the lame and sick it would have been evil. In your view EVERYTHING is evil.

You simply do not see how twisted and plain stupid this false doctrine you have swallowed is. It is nonsensical. It turns good into evil.

Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Yes, I happen to believe God's promise that he would preserve his words to all generations (Psa 12:6-7).

That has nothing to do with Total Inability. Jesus himself said sinners do good.

Luk 6:33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

Jesus didn't talk about "horizontal" good here, he simply said that sinners also do good.

As for being a "snake handler", it is you that believes telling the truth is a sin. Wow.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Every breath taken by an unrepentant man is sin.

Every step he takes as a man unyielded to the Lordship of Jesus Christ is treason in the courts of heaven.

All things that every creature made in God's does ought to be done for the glory of God.

If it is not, no matter how noble in the eyes of morally blind fools- it is SIN!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Would you care to show the scripture that supports this?

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

People have been giving you Scriptures about this for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Right. I'm sure everyone reading will buy this lame excuse. :laugh:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this from your beloved KJV?

"An high look and a proud heart,and the plowing of the wicked,is sin."

I hope you don't mind that I updated just one word,do you?

Basically all the acts of the unregenerate are evil and sinful --even things on the horizontal plane we think of as good in and of themselves. But,and this is significant, but God, (don't you appreciate that phrase? But God) considers all acts that people do as evil because they do not do their deeds for the glory or love for God --therefore their actions are evil. You see God has a higher regard for what constitutes sin than you do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's it? That's your proof that EVERYTHING men do is evil? I don't think so.

First, this verse is speaking of "the wicked". All a person has to do is read and you will see the Proverbs and Psalms especially speak of two types of persons, "the wicked" and "the righteous". So, not all men are "the wicked".

Pro 21:21 He that followeth after righteousness and mercy findeth life, righteousness, and honour.

The same author in the same chapter speaks of men who follow after righteousness. It says he "findeth life", so he is not regenerated when he first follows after righteousness, it is something he obtains later. Thus, unregenerate men can do and seek good.

Pro 21:15 It is joy to the just to do judgment: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity.

The same author, same chapter; Do all men love to do wickedness? NO, some men love to do what is good.

Pro 21:12 The righteous man wisely considereth the house of the wicked: but God overthroweth the wicked for their wickedness.

Same author, same chapter; The righteous man observes that God overthrows the wicked.

So, this verse (vs.4) you submitted is speaking of especially wicked persons only. Yes, pretty much everything they do is designed with wickedness in mind, but this is not describing all men, the scriptures themselves make a very clear distinction between good and evil men.

#51 Winman, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  12. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All have sinned, all have a sinful nature - bent to evil "by nature".

The "heart is deceitfully wicked who can know it" says Jeremiah.

But that is a description of the sinful nature apart from the Gospel - apart from the work of God to save mankind.

By contrast - we live in a world where the Gospel does exist, Where the Holy Spirit "convicts the WORLD" John 16 and where Christ says "I will DRAW ALL unto Me" John 12:32.

The result is that the GIANTS of faith listed in Heb 11 - come from the OT and include those who never died - such as Enoch.

The result is that Paul argues that WE should "follow HIS example" and that we should ourselves be "examples" to others, and that we should mark those who do not walk after the pattern that we have in the Apostles - in Paul.

in Christ,

Bob

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, that's right. The wicked are the unregenerate, the righteous are the regenerate.

So everything that an unregenerate man does is sin.

Great. Glad you agree.

Right, which is what God enables the elect to do. He causes them to follow after righteousness because they would never follow after it unless God caused them to do so.

Romans 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

That's right. The regenerate do not love wickedness all unregenerate people do. Glad you agree with what we are saying.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.