Keith M said:
Why in the world would anyone with any common sense use an English dictionary to try to define what was originally written in Greek or Hebrew?
Keith, let’s be practical for a moment. Come, let us reason together.
1. Do you really think God would expect the average saint should to have to go to the Greek\Hebrew to define an English word? Is this not severely limiting the saint here? Surely you cannot be serious. Does this sound consistent with the simplicity that is in Christ?
2. Ok then let’s go with Greek definitions then – I’ll play along. Which Greek/Hebrew Keith? We all know there are many lexicons, manuscripts, etc. available. Which ones should farmer Jones use? I mean the ole’ boy has got to learn the languages first and then figure out which ones are “reliable”!
3. Again, which family of manuscripts Keith? Which ones is farmer Jones to use - the ones which are the basis for of the King James (95%) or the ones from Egypt (the other 5%)? Isn’t this what the real issue is? Are the ones from Asia Minor right or the ones from Egypt right?
Folks – I don’t panic when folks go to the Greek – many a great saint has to get more clarification but now you have taught the average saint to start poking around in the Greek when he doesn’t even know what the simple English says first!?!?!?!
I don’t blow a gasket when people think there are a few errors in an AV – I understand there are some tough passages and words. I can see how folks could have issues but...but what throws me is that folks cannot see the modern versions for what they are. If a person cannot see the omissions, changes, etc. especially when they surround the blood atonement, second coming, ascension, and the deity of Christ then it is no longer an intellectual issue – the facts are there – it has now become a heart issue.
Again with feeling…
Money –
1. Coin; stamped metal; any piece of metal, usually gold, silver or copper, stamped by public authority, and used as the medium of commerce.
2. Wealth; affluence
Wealth -
Prosperity; external happiness.
Prosperity -
Advance or gain in any thing good or desirable; successful progress in any business or enterprise; success; attainment of the object desired; as the prosperity of arts; agricultural or commercial prosperity; national prosperity.
The above definitions if run through the scriptures give you a commentary on what money is.
The above definitions fit your Hitler, Cain and Able, and any other example or illustration.
Just as a Greek word has different meanings so does the English have different “slants”.
I firmly believe God had the AV translators put down what they put down for the love of money (coin, wealth, prosperity, external happiness) is the root of all evil. I believe if it is evil it is because someone loves coin, wealth, prosperity and external happiness. What else are people pursuing today? And if they love these more than God it is evil.
God bless