1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Man's Ability to Repent

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by PreachTony, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Maybe I haven't read enough, but it seems that some of you are, how shall I say, mis-characterizing what DHK believes. I think he is simply saying that the one things that is required for salvation is faith in Jesus Christ. For instance, I believe a young child can be saved. How? Simply by believing and trusting in Jesus. Does a young child need to also repent to be saved? I say no.

Anyway, if I have misstated what DHK believes, I'm sure he will say so.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK,

But when a sinner comes to Christ, turning from sin is exactly what happens; whether the singular or plural form of sin is used it still means the same thing. If I say, "I have turned from my sins" or "I have turned from my sin" I am still saying that I turned from sin in the aggregate. But back to my first sentence.

When a sinner comes to Christ, turning from sin(s) is exactly what happens. I have no idea how it sounds like reformation. Did you know, that in the patristic age, candidates for Baptism had to be examined first to determine whether they had sufficiently repented? While the practice was unbiblical, it was understandable considering the persecution the early church endured. The patristic fathers wanted to make sure that a professed Christian was, indeed, a Christian. We would never think of that today since the requirement for baptism is a profession of faith. But the idea that repentance from sin(s) in conjunction with coming to faith in Christ was a not Reformation novelty.

Yes. Of course. There is no Monergist that will argue with that. Sola Christus (Christ Alone).

3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exclusively. John MacArthur whipped the Lordship Salvation issue into a frenzy when he published, "The Gospel According to Jesus" in 1988, and MacArthur is a dispensationalist. Personally I can rattle off the name of over a dozen dispensationalist pastors who believe in Lordship Salvation.

#123 Reformed, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Reformed is right, it might be "Typical," but thankfully not applicable across the board. I'm anti-Lordship Salvation and I'm not a Dispensationalist.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

John the Baptist stated in John 1:29, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin(singular) of the world." Now, we all know it wasn't a single sin John was referring to when he said that. When I repented it of my sin it was like I wadded them up and took them to Him and placed them at His feet. It was like I was saying in my heart,"Here God are all my sins. I have sinned against You, a most holy God. I am deserving of eternal death, and without Your forgiveness, I'm a goner." He then took them and cast them as far from me as the east is from the west.

I didn't give Him an itemized list. But conviction brought contrition. Contrition brought forth a broken heart. A broken heart brought forth a Godly sorrow. A Godly sorrow brought forth a repentance unto salvation not to be repented of....

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. You do not believe in a pre-tribulational rapture, a literal 7 year tribulation, and 1000 year millennial reign by Christ?

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salavation hapens RIGHT at the very moment that the sinner receives jesus thru faith in him and his finished work ont he Cross, and the Lord Himself makes Jesus BOTH Lord and saviour over that person, as its not us doing that , it is the Father Himself!

Do you hold that unless a person ceases to sin, that jesus has not reallu become "Lord of all?"

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I do not, Reformed. I'm amillennial. I believe in a general resurrection and I believe when Christ returns we will be called up to meet Him in the air, and so we shall ever be with Him. I believe the earth (the elements) are saved to a melting with a fervent heat.

I read the apocalyptic literature (Revelation, Daniel, etc) with a more eclectic view (as opposed to a literalist interpretation).

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be reformed in your eschatology then...

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I suppose...though I would state that I did not come to these beliefs by studying under Reformed theologians. I came to them through my own study of the scriptures, through my discussions with fellow church members, and through hearing the Dispensationalist view and finding it in opposition to the scripture.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tony, are you a Baptist?

12. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I am. I go to a small Baptist church in Northeast Georgia. We are not affiliated with any association or convention, though we do often work and worship with our local sister churches.

13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really are an enigma. An amillennial Baptist who is not a Monergist. Wow.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Sin" in the singular denotes a sinful lifestyle.
    "Sins" in the plural denotes a list of sins. So they don't mean the same thing.
    The latter may be nothing more than a form of reformation. Or, even if it is sincere, it is not necessary and may do more harm than good. It is not essential in God's plan of salvation.
    Consider the following scenario:
    An evangelist comes to town to preach in the local Baptist Church. He is well known and a good number of unsaved are also in attendance. At the end of a particular powerful message he gives an invitation but in his message he had emphasized that you need to repent of all your sins. If you don't repent of all your sins you can't be saved. Some come forward--too many for the pastor to counsel with. He enlists the help of some other of his members.
    One "sinner" does want to be saved. The preacher had said that he needed to repent of his sins, so in his prayer he begins to tell God how sorry he was to commit adultery with so and so, to sell those drugs to those children, to take advantage of that particular girl, to steal from the local hardware store, etc. etc. And the counselor is there with his eyes closed and his jaw dropped. "Repent of all your sins." What he has just done may be of irreparable harm, given fodder for gossip, harmed not just himself but the reputation of others.
    Repenting of individual sins does not mean confessing them before others. Neither does it mean listing them. But to many it does, and can have that meaning. It may not to you, but you don't know that it will to others.

Repentance simply means a change of mind. Look it up in any lexicon. It does not mean a turning from sin. It means to turn, to change, as in to change direction, to turn around. One must turn from the direction they were going (the way of sin and the world; the way of rebellion) and turn toward God, and submit to him. That is what repentance is. It is from...toward.... It is a change in direction. There must be "repentance toward God," and that does not come without faith. Faith and biblical repentance accompany one another. They are a package deal. You can't have one without the other. They are two sides of the same coin.

That speaks of fruit--after the fact.

#134 DHK, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Come to north Georgia...we're all over the place. :thumbs: :smilewinkgrin:

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there are also those who would hold to Monergist and yet also hold to Dispy thinking, such as myself!

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Just protect your roosters if you go there, Brother Reformed. :smilewinkgrin:

Then end up looking like this...

[​IMG]

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Then like this...

[​IMG]

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And finally like this...

[​IMG]

20. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

It should be noted that the chickens shown in posts 137 and 138 are not the same chicken. That first one is entirely too gamey... :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.