• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Maybe its real ,and I'm not Chosen "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Johnson

Well-Known Member
So either you aren't real
Or I am just not chosen
Maybe I'll never know
Either way my heart is broken
This is the lyrics from a well known, former professing Calvinist , singer song writer Derick Webb . Now self proclaimed 'reformed atheist ' .

i think this video explains some of the issues with Calvinism / Lordship salvation. This is an interview with Derick Webb . I think what he says exposes some of the logical consequences of Calvinism and Lordship salvation .
Starting about the 50 min mark onwards are the key parts . till about 102 min mark .
Thoughts ?
 
Last edited:

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
So either you aren't real
Or I am just not chosen
Maybe I'll never know
Either way my heart is broken
This is the lyrics from a well known, former professing Calvinist , singer song writer Derick Webb . Now self proclaimed 'reformed atheist ' .

i think this video explains some of the issues with Calvinism / Lordship salvation. This is an interview with Derick Webb ,who is now an atheist/ agnostic but formerly a famous singer song writer, professing Calvinist. I think what he says exposes some of the logical consequences of Calvinism and Lordship salvation .
Starting about the 50 min mark onwards are the key parts . till about 102 min mark .
So what’s your point?
 

Barry Johnson

Well-Known Member
So what’s your point?
that
this video explains some of the issues with Calvinism / Lordship salvation. This is an interview with Derick Webb ,who is now an atheist/ agnostic but formerly a famous singer song writer, professing Calvinist. I think what he says exposes some of the logical consequences of Calvinism and Lordship salvation .
thoughts?
 

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
that
this video explains some of the issues with Calvinism / Lordship salvation. This is an interview with Derick Webb ,who is now an atheist/ agnostic but formerly a famous singer song writer, professing Calvinist. I think what he says exposes some of the logical consequences of Calvinism and Lordship salvation .
thoughts?
I’m not going to even view it
 

canadyjd

Well-Known Member
So, you are seeking theological clarity from a professing atheist?

Do you think he might be biased?

Peace to you
 

Barry Johnson

Well-Known Member
So, you are seeking theological clarity from a professing atheist?

Do you think he might be biased?

Peace to you
Have you watched ? 'theological clarity ' ? of course not . Theological consequences maybe . I'm not suggesting Calvinsm is responsible for all false converts . Many remain and then later depart mamy non calvnist denomination s also ..I Just think there are some great teaching moments in this discussion . Including what I believe is contradictory and false about reformed teaching s is revealed unwittingly from an atheist who understands Calvinism quite well . Actually he understands calvnism better than some calvinists I know.
 

canadyjd

Well-Known Member
Have you watched ? 'theological clarity ' ? of course not . Theological consequences maybe . I'm not suggesting Calvinsm is responsible for all false converts . Many remain and then later depart mamy non calvnist denomination s also ..I Just think there are some great teaching moments in this discussion . Including what I believe is contradictory and false about reformed teaching s is revealed unwittingly from an atheist who understands Calvinism quite well . Actually he understands calvnism better than some calvinists I know.
I’ll get my theology from scripture. I don’t need to watch someone deceived by satan explain why scripture is false.

peace to you
 

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Have you watched ? 'theological clarity ' ? of course not . Theological consequences maybe . I'm not suggesting Calvinsm is responsible for all false converts . Many remain and then later depart mamy non calvnist denomination s also ..I Just think there are some great teaching moments in this discussion . Including what I believe is contradictory and false about reformed teaching s is revealed unwittingly from an atheist who understands Calvinism quite well . Actually he understands calvnism better than some calvinists I know.
Perhaps if you were to interact with them more then you would learn more. You gotta admit that they at the very least are believers not atheists.
 

canadyjd

Well-Known Member
Perhaps if you were to interact with them more then you would learn more. You gotta admit that they at the very least are believers not atheists.
Why do they identify themselves as atheists?

Oh, now I get it. They are “reformed atheists”. They used to be atheists, but now they have embraced reformed theology.

I stand corrected.

edit to add: Oops, I take my “correction” back. In post #3, the OP claimed the person in the link identified as himself as atheist/agnostic.

peace to you
 
Last edited:

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Why do they identify themselves as atheists?

Oh, now I get it. They are “reformed atheists”. They used to be atheists, but now they have embraced reformed theology.

I stand corrected.

edit to add: Oops, I take my “correction” back. In post #3, the OP claimed the person in the link identified as himself as atheist/agnostic.

peace to you
It says they were reformed and Calvinists, now they are athiests
 

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Right. I don’t feel the need to seek the opinions of atheists about my theology. They have been deceived by satan.

How did your effort to get me banned go?

peace to you
I don’t know ... I thought you were calling me an atheist. Never mind , your reference was to the atheists.
 

canadyjd

Well-Known Member
I don’t know ... I thought you were calling me an atheist. Never mind , your reference was to the atheists.
My friend. I consider you a brother in Christ with which I disagree with on some issues, but agree with on others. I enjoy our conversations, even when I get frustrated with your statements.

I would never question your salvation or the salvation of anyone professing faith in Jesus.

peace to you
 

Earth Wind and Fire

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
My friend. I consider you a brother in Christ with which I disagree with on some issues, but agree with on others. I enjoy our conversations, even when I get frustrated with your statements.

I would never question your salvation or the salvation of anyone professing faith in Jesus.

peace to you
Yea thanks, I’m sorry for douting you
 

RighteousnessTemperance&

Well-Known Member
How could anyone that almost killed RC Sproul, whose books he'd read, not be not chosen? :Wink

Seriously, it is unclear from that segment (the suggested ~50:00 to ~1:02:00) how his mind was tricked into believing there is no God.

I understand he was a Calvinist. But he indicates presuppositionalism was his primary or exclusive method of apologetics. Is that also considered Calvinistic?

He now claims the scientific method is his primary way of reasoning. Does that run counter to Calvinism?

Is Calvinism an invitation to a blind leap of faith? He seemed to say so.

And for the record, at least in that segment, I detected no attempt to convince others against God or Christ. He just says he's no longer a believer and briefly alludes to a couple of items that seemed to him to indicate Christianity isn't original. He "may have" his history all backward, twisted up, and inside out on that score.
 

atpollard

Well-Known Member
Webb replied to a Christian who tweeted him saying that he was sorry that Webb and others left the faith. The Christian said that if they ever decided to come back, the church is willing to receive them with open arms (referring to the prodigal son story in Luke 15:11-22). Webb responded graciously and kindly, tweeting,
  • “thanks, brandon. i receive that as an expression of care. respectfully, i feel the same way. i hope you can one day feel free of the need for a needless yoke, regardless of how light.” (7/27/19) - Derek Webb
Referring to Jesus’s statement in Matthew 11:30 (“My yoke is easy, and my burden is light”), Webb stated that when he left the faith, he saw it as freeing himself from “a needless yoke, regardless of how light.”


But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." [Romans 10:8-11 NKJV]

Jesus is either your Lord and your Savior, or He is not.
Derek did not want to be burdened with any Lord, so he has no Savior.

Calvinist or Arminian, that equation adds up the same.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top