1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Mere shadows" of what is to come

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alcott, May 19, 2020.

1. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was specifically referring to the word "σαββατωνG4521 N-GPN". I re-emphasized that here - "Mere shadows" of what is to come

I was not referring to the words "things" or "shadow".

When you posted the OP, did you not desire a response? Did you only desire responses that merely agreed with you? If so, I will withdraw.

Whether anyone does or not, the information is still given. Just as God inspired the scriptures and gave them to mankind, whether anyone reads them or not.

When I come into contact with others who disagree, I read their material, and respond accordingly.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not agree with me; not even merely. But I had already made you aware that I don't read those long piles of propaganda you paste.

Which word, then

3. Alofa Atu

Alofa Atu Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok, so you are looking for a response, even if it disagrees with you, and you are then inclined to discuss the difference between the two positions?

The sentence seems self-contradictory on the surface, as it seems that though you "don't read those long piles of propaganda" (as you say) that I post, how can you know then that what I post is "long piles of propaganda", rather than coherent and thoughtful response to your own position if you do not read them?

Wouldn't that be like attending a lecture or debate, where two sides are presented and you merely tune in to the side you already agreed with, and shut out completely the differing view before considering what is stated in whole, before making a true judgment, simply because the response is deep?

For instance I have listened to entire series, lectures, debates on many things, and always listened to the differing side (at least once), to make decision on what is true/false between the positions. I could even give you specific debates, and lectures I listened to.

That is the point of these two texts:

Pro 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.

Pro 18:17 He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him.

If you may please see where I stated:

I was specifically referring to the word "σαββατωνG4521 N-GPN". I re-emphasized that here - "Mere shadows" of what is to come

I was not referring to the words "things" or "shadow".