1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Theological Stance after Searching with All of My Heart

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been researching Martin Luther for a talk I shall be giving shortly with reference to the Reformation.
    Towards the end of his life he did say some dreadful things about the Jews, and he certainly did not see as far as many other reformers (otherwise we'd all be Lutherans). However, he did find salvation by grace through faith, and he put his life at great risk by holding to it under the most extreme pressure to recant.
    This is simply not true.
    Nor is this. Henry certainly was mumbling, but he was clutching the hand of Thomas Cranmer who was trying to lead him to Christ.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon,
    You need to moderate your language. Mr Yeadon is certainly mistaken about Calvin, but that does not make him a liar.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He spoke falsehoods about John Calvin [edited]

#63 Rippon, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    People are in many ways products of their culture. I doubt, had Luther held our contemporary worldview, that he would have arrived at the same conclusions. The same is true of Whitefield's defense of the institution of slavery, probably of Calvin's view of "Christendom" as well. While it is difficult when it comes to things like racism and religious intolerance, we can't judge the past in light of contemporary ideologies.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between a false statement and a lie. The term "lie" refers to one's motivation for making a false statement (the intent to deceive). You have no way of judging this members intent (for all appearances, he believes what he is stating to be true).

There are people who genuinely believe that John Calvin ruled Geneva at that time. There are people who believe his word was law. There are people who believe that Calvin had the authority to make decisions for the state and even to make decisions without oversight for the church Geneva.

They are wrong, but it is probably a matter of simple ignorance of how Geneva was governed at that time. They probably do not know of the Ordonnances ecclésiastiques, the Consistoire, or the role of Geneva’s own civil government. They are just repeating misinformation.

My suggestion is that we all stick to what is said and avoid the fallacy of ad hominem by imagining we know the motivation and intent of others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Calvinist argument is that since "they" could not see the end from the beginning and still make free will - neither can God.
    The is the ultimate flaw of calvinism - it tries to sit in God's chair and tell God what He cannot possibly do.

in this case it claims that even for sinless beings - God cannot know the future and still give them anything other than man-mad-robbot will. programmed as He wills to "arrange" the future He predicts.

Calvinism makes a very poor all-knowing God.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. Nor can we romanticize the times in which Luther, Calvin, and Whitfield lived in. Man-stealing has always been a sin. The same with profanity-laden tirades. If the Lord tarries for another 1000 years, what will that generation of Christians say about this present generation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Steven, I only read your opening post, and skipped the predictable disparagement from the exhaustive determinists.

Lets consider Psalm 139:15-16:

My frame was not hidden from You,
    When I was made in secret,
    [God forms our spirit within us and therefore knows us from conception]

And
    skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
    [apparently a figurative expression of the unknown development within the womb]

16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
    [God is aware of every step of our development until fully formed and thereafter]

And in Your book were all written
    [OT book of life listed all the living]

The days that were ordained for me,
    [Here we come to the "problematic" phrase. Does the Hebrew word translated here (NASB) as ordained mean (as the exhaustive determinists claim) predestined? Probably not. Instead the idea actually intended with this vague phrase, is that God forms us with a purpose and design intent, therefore the days that were intended for me. If you look at various translation choices, you find planned and fashioned. Thus the duration of the design intent. ]

When as yet there was not one of them.
    [Yes God has a plan for us from conception, before our days numbered from birth. Our God is not only the God of second chances, He is the God of the continuous chance to follow His fresh plan for out lives.]

#68 Van, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are they saying now? Seriously does it matter what has happened historically .....but if you insist in digging into the work of understanding Jesus and his times, then you will invariably find the NT to be a far richer source of spiritual life.

For a few years now, I have been fascinated by the Sermon on the Mount....so much so that I read it over & over, then studied books on it. And its no surprise to anyone that I have also endorsed Martyn Lloyd Jones book on the sermon (he brakes it down well into digestible pieces). From my prospective, this sermon that was pronounced by Jesus himself, is the blueprint of the Christian lifestyle.....So I was encouraged when Steve listed it as a major factor in his own studies.

However Steve has given at least given 4 years of his life to studying theology & is still very confused as to what to believe. Are we to believe Luther, Calvin, Augustine, Arminius, Whitfield, Wesley etc .... they have all molded Jesus to their own persevered forms ..... probably that's to a large part where we all take our definitions from ( Like I am a Reformed, Calvinistic Baptist however I'm not a Covenitiantalist.....that's only one example & you know that their are many more I could illustrate). Given these scenarios, what are we to actually believe? Then we may well ask, "what did Jesus really teach & are we anywhere close to the Lords intentions?"

And of course, I would be remiss if I did not mention all the biases of each belief system that has developed from every group who has come to know the different belief system teaching. Hopefully we can jettison our past, open our eyes & ears to allow Him to speak to us through the scriptures....I applaud Steve for taking that journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scriptures themselves prove the truth and validity of how Calvinism sees the issue of salvation proper.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of them wiere either inspired or perfect, but they did bring back to the Church the real Gospel message!

12. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you to my defenders who said I was not a liar. I am very, very sorry if my historical understanding of Calvin is incorrect in regards to Geneva. I am merely reciting what I was told in history classes. Of course, the professors could have told me wrong, as they seemed biased. What were you taught or found in research about Calvin and Geneva?

13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he did say some dreadful things.

However, I still contend his break from the papists was reluctant. Had the papists not challenged his writing, he possibly would have never have departed from the Roman church.

Politics and political substances had more to do with pushing him and the reformation, than did his desire to separate from the ungodly. I wondered if his legal training was more directive and one reason the items I listed that reflect papist teaching were never been purged, for they had no Scripture support.

I, too, thought the same, but a recent history account, the PBS "Inside the Court of Henry VIII," about Henry and in particular his personality and temperment behind his character revealed that Henry did indeed cluctch the rosary.

The rosary was not "band" at the time. Henry did not have rational coherence the last 24 hours or more, and although the doctors knew possibly a week or more that he was going to die, there is no account that he was told. It would have to be that the account of squeezing the hand of Cranmer be held as more unlikely than him clutching to religious training and tradition that he had set aside for personal gains.

Politics, as in the case of Luther, also was revealed by Henry's death being kept silent, even from servants who would bring meals to the chamber doors for two days.

Political power played more in living and dying of the reformation characters than did the Scriptures.

In reading about Cranmer and his accomplishments, a person just cannot escape that he published alloed on the political will of the times, he had to hide his marriage for some years until political favor allowed the introduction, and eventually re-embraced the papists though admittedly tortured into doing again by the wind of political expediency.

But, then did not politics call for the crucifixion?

14. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must respectfully disagree.

I held to this view for years, but what caught me one day was that the canon of the bible is closed. By that I mean that we have all the moral teachings we are going to get from the Lord and His Son Jesus Christ. If we have a perfect standard with Jesus and the apostles, then we have a mission in life to live up to this standard as we read it to be. As a result, I contend that any modern or cultural moral teachings are disputable matters to the bible if they are not addressed by the bible. However, culture often teaches immoral things in conflict with the bible, things we must buck, which are very hard to do if its cultural.

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But does it really matter?

Ultimately, the truth is that God does not create what is not planned. That is clearly set out not only in Scripture, but creation itself.

There is nothing that surprises God, be it insignificant or significant.

There are none that come to Christ that the Father has not already specified would come and given the authority to come.

One cannot read John's clear statements in his acccounts and come away without acknowledging all believers are merely responders to and not instgators of the Saving Grace of The Father. From the first open statement to the final close of the Revelation, God is in total control, and with purpose chooses what and who will glorify Him.

History classes are time constrained to cover a certain amount of material, and unfortunately are totally inadequate when it comes to being the most unbiased.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Steven, now lets look at John 6:39-40:

39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”

I am not sure why this verse is listed a problematic? Here is my guess, you think it is possible God "gave" to Jesus every individual to be saved before the foundation of the world? So again we are dealing with a vague phrase, on which commentators differ as to meaning. My view is God "gives" individuals to Christ when He transfers them into Him. Thus the "predestination" occurs when placed in Christ and saved, because we will never be cast out and lost.

So if we are chosen through faith in the truth, then we are chosen individually during our lifetime, and not before creation. There are several verses that require being chosen during our lifetime, For example 1 Peter 2:9-10 says we were not a people before we were a chosen people. And we lived without mercy before we obtained mercy. Thus our individual election occurred after we lived on earth.
    Therefore John tells us we were chosen out of the world.

So the real problem is a mistaken understanding of Ephesians 1:4 which says we were chosen in Him before the foundation of the world. When you have at least 4 passages saying we were chosen individually during our lifetime, and one (Eph. 1:4) that might say we were chosen individually before our lifetime, which understanding is probably in error? So lets look at Eph. 1:4. What might chosen in Him mean? When was our Redeemer, the Lamb of God chosen? Before the foundation of the world. 1 Peter 1:20. So when you choose a Redeemer, would you not also have a plan to redeem? Of course. So the idea could be when God chose His redeemer He also chose us corporately as the target group of His redemption plan, thus He chose us in Him. Any other view requires us to nullify passage after passage, such as James 2:5 where we were chosen as not only poor to the world but also rich in faith and heirs to the kingdom promised to those who love God.

Once Ephesians 1:4 is understood and corporate, and 2 Thessalonians 2:13 as individual, everything falls into plance.

#76 Van, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine (I'm good with disagreement).

That said, I think if you will read the moral arguments throughout history you may change your mind. I am not saying that moral standards change, but I am saying that these standards are contextualized differently based on cultural norms and ideologies. Whitefield is a good example - he defended the institution of slavery because we are told to be content in our circumstances and slavery became a means to reach a people with the gospel message. We simply cannot judge people by our standard of judgment. We judge the Church by the standard of Christ. Insofar as John Calvin goes, your comments were a bit off.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About what? John Calvin was never a ruler in Geneva. He never served over the Counsel, and while very influential his authority was limited to the Church. In other words, he is often attributed with sentencing people to death but in reality this was a sentence beyond his authority (all he could do was refer people to the civil government). Sometimes they listened to Calvin, but often times they did not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are describing here on this tirade Open Theism, but not Calvinism!

20. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, I understand the verse better now. I may be reading way too much into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.