• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

National Endowment for the Arts Under Assault

Jerome

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
http://www.thehour.com/news/article/NEA-under-assault-10894653.php
with the inauguration of President Donald Trump and a promise to slash the federal budget — including reported plans to eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities — celebrations have turned to concern for nonprofit arts organizations
In addition to proposed cuts for the NEA and NEH, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds the National Public Radio and Public Broadcasting Service, would be privatized under the plan. All three agencies were established in 1965 by President Lyndon B. Johnson
 

Crabtownboy

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Those budges are so small that they are like a pimple on the face of a 350 lb. man. Why not go after some of the big budgets where it is know there is lots of waste?
 

Rob_BW

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
If NPR didn't want to be on the chopping block, they shouldn't have allowed themselves to become so partisan and politicized.

I've been driving 4.5 hours to get home on the weekends, and 4.5 to get back to work, for over 4 months now, and have been listening to a lot of radio. NPR has gone over the edge. Liberals would be screaming if Rush Limbaugh received federal funds, yet they turned NPR into an official organ of the Democratic Party.
 

Jerome

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Those budges are so small that they are like a pimple on the face of a 350 lb. man.
There are more concerns than just $$$!
This lady from Memphis sums it up:


"I'm going tell everybody there a thing or two about about having good stern morals in the art."

"Well, see, that's the thing, whenever they tell you it's all about the arts, you don't never know what kind of people you're going to be dealing with."

"I am so tired of walking in museums and just seeing paintings of naked people and statues."

"People these days don't know how to paint, that's what I say...I don't know why people can't paint like they used to. You know, when I was a girl, people could paint til where it looked just like a photograph. That's how you know it's a good painter! When they can paint so good that it looks just like it was took with a camera."
 
Last edited:

Crabtownboy

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
One man's art is another man's trash.

The lady you linked to must not go many museums. Gee-whiz, nude paintings and statues go back into distant history. I guess Venus de Milo and Michelangelo's David would not meet her standards. Not would the centuries old paintings

La Maja Desnuda, Venus of Urbino, or Rokeby Venus meet her standards.

Much regular advertising on mainline TV is more pornographic than these paintings and statues. Does TV advertising upset her? And what about the porn in magazine ads?
 
Last edited:

Salty

20,000 Posts Club
Administrator

Much regular advertising on mainline TV is more pornographic than these paintings and statues. Does TV advertising upset her? And what about the porn in magazine ads?

The difference being that TV ads are not paid for by the govt.

and you are correct that NPR and PBS are extremely a small part of the federal budget.. But virtually everything should be on the chopping block. -

From Wiki: $445 million in fiscal year 2012 to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting

The basic salary of 535 members of Congress for one year is about 100 million dollars.

There are about 22,000 employees of Congress - at an average salary of 100 grand that would be
about 2 billion dollars - more than a drop of the federal budget.

Welfare spending is about 1.1 TRILLION dollars for FY 17
That looks like a good place to start.
 

Crabtownboy

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
The difference being that TV ads are not paid for by the govt.

and you are correct that NPR and PBS are extremely a small part of the federal budget.. But virtually every.

Salty, not totally true. There are many companies that receive subsidies from the government that do advertise. Here is a list of the top 30 subsidized companies and, as you will see, many do advertise.

Note: the numbers are in billions.


imrs.php
 

Salty

20,000 Posts Club
Administrator
Salty, not totally true. There are many companies that receive subsidies from the government that do advertise. Here is a list of the top 30 subsidized companies and, as you will see, many do advertise.

on the verge of a technicality - but I do see you point there.

First - are theses actual cash payouts or are they tax deductions/ credits?

Are there "strings" attached to the subsidies ?

many more questions - but this will suffice for now.

The list you gave above is about 75 billion - much less than the amount spent on welfare - where there is virtually little or no strings.

In a perfect world - there should be NO subsidy or tax deduction/credits.

I support the Automatic Electronic Tax
 

Crabtownboy

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
on the verge of a technicality - but I do see you point there.

First - are theses actual cash payouts or are they tax deductions/ credits?

Are there "strings" attached to the subsidies ?

many more questions - but this will suffice for now.

I don't know the answers to your questions ... and this old man is too tired to look them up.

The list you gave above is about 75 billion - much less than the amount spent on welfare - where there is virtually little or no strings.

But much more than the programs we are talking about.

In a perfect world - there should be NO subsidy or tax deduction/credits.

I have to think about that one. Not sure if I agree or disagree.


I am not sure I understand what you mean by "Automatic Electronic Tax."

I
 

Salty

20,000 Posts Club
Administrator
I don't know the answers to your questions ... and this old man is too tired to look them up.I
DITTO!

.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "Automatic Electronic Tax."
I
Only electronic transactions (credit card, checks, ect) are taxed - at a low rate - no more than 5%
Everyone pays - no exemptions, No exemptions. No tax forms to file, no paperwork to keep.

Basically banks and credit card companies would handle all transactions -
just like a bank deducts your bank charge.

The bank would collect and send the tax to the IRS.

If you click on the above link - it will give you all the details
 

carpro

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Salty, not totally true. There are many companies that receive subsidies from the government that do advertise. Here is a list of the top 30 subsidized companies and, as you will see, many do advertise.

Note: the numbers are in billions.

I don't see any left wing propaganda outlets like NPR on your list.

But then, that would mean being honest about your comparison, and we can't have that , can we?
 

Crabtownboy

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
I don't see any left wing propaganda outlets like NPR on your list.

But then, that would mean being honest about your comparison, and we can't have that , can we?

NPR is not a manufacturing or a for-profit company.
 
Top