1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old regular

old regular Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Mountain Association has an ORB church in Newport,Ky there are several ORB in Southeastern Indiana,There is one near Leabnon,Ohio in the Union Association one in Middletown.The first Church I ever took the stand in ,was Northern New Home Ermel Ison was the Moderator/Pastor back then.I went out with his daughter Carla .It was at Goshen and in the Indian Bottom Asso.
    bro. M.Slone

2. old regular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Bethel Association for the minute.old regular

3. sfarmer

sfarmer New Member

I"m kindof new to this board. My personal and spiritual roots lie way back on the Old Regular Baptist Church. I've got both Smithsonian CS ans well as the Lomax CD and listen to them frequently.

I've been wondering -- is it possible to purchase the songbooks? I've got my maternal grandfather's Sweet Songster and another smaller book (whose title I can't recall).

Listening to the CDs makes me wnat to drive up to VA (roots were in the Union Association) or KY for church services.

Susan

4. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Susan:

I know of a person to which I can supposedly get copies of Sweet Songster and the Thomas Hymnal, but I haven't gotten a response back to my request yet. I may have to call him instead of write him.

I also have the Goble Primitive Baptist songbook, which I found can be purchased from the Primitive Baptist Library in Carthage, IL:

http://www.carthage.lib.il.us/community/churches/primbap/Goble.html

I also have the New Baptist Songbook which has alot of the same songs that the others have. The only book that I haven't heard about much is the "Old Regular Baptist Songbook". It is mentioned in the booklet on the 2nd volume of the Smithsonian recordings.

There is another book that I have that has the statement, "I Will Sing Unto the Lord as Long as I Live" on it. It is also ORB.

Are there any Old Regular Baptist Churches in TN?

....and by the way, welcome to the board!

5. zane 446

zane 446 New Member

If you go to the website below, you can actually download three songs from the Smithsonian Folkways CD SONGS OF THE OLD REGULAR BAPTISTS (SF40106). The songs are:

"If I Would Live a Humble Life"
    "Attend Young Friend While I Relate"
    "I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger"

According to the site, these were recorded at Defeated Creek Old Regular Baptist Church in Linefork KY on June 10, 1993.

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/MusicAtlas/Volume3/playpagevol3ch7.html

Zane

6. sfarmer

sfarmer New Member

The other songbook that I have is the 1960 "The New Baptist Song Book" published by Foster Ratliff.

To my knowledge there aren't any ORB churches in Tennessee. There might be some up in the tri-cities area, but not any that I know of.

Susan

7. sfarmer

sfarmer New Member

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Susan, the Sweet Songster was in print not too long ago, but the Thomas Hymnal was not. If you're interested, I can send you a private message with the mailing address.

9. Preacher's Boy

Preacher's Boy New Member

I have a copy of Thomas and Sweet Songster that my grandfather and father used for many years as singers and moderators of orb chuches...some of the lyrics are really quite beautiful...if youve never heard it, the lining out style of song leading is often very moving...you can find it at Amazon music using Old Regular Babptist as the search.

10. Preacher's Boy

I have a copy of Thomas and Sweet Songster that my grandfather and father used for many years as singers and moderators of orb chuches...some of the lyrics are really quite beautiful...if youve never heard it, the lining out style of song leading is often very moving...you can find it at Amazon music using Old Regular Babptist as the search.

11. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Susan:

Thank you so much for the digital library website! I noticed on there that some of the songs are sung by Hurley (Hirley) Smith and wife along with a congregation. I've known him for almost all my life. He pastors, if I remember correctly, Middle Quicksand United Baptist around Jackson, KY.

12. Preacher's Boy

If anyone has tapes of my father or grandfather singing or preaching, I would apprieciate knowing how to get a copy....I know numberous tapes were made but haven't been able to lecate any....
    That would be Ermel Ison or Kirby Ison...thanks..doug ison

13. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

There were a couple in Johnson County, TN in years gone by, but I think the last one there closed about 1935. It was across the road from my grandmother-in-law's house. They got in a controversey over women preachers, and busted to the four winds.

At one time the Eastern District Primitive Baptist Association was in correspondence, IIRC, with some ORBs. (I gave away most of my collection of minutes some years ago). There are several of the congregations of the Eastern District in upper East Tennessee. I am not entirely sure how they view themselves, although we have a couple in our church that belonged to an Eastern District Church at one time.

I did a large print version of the Goble hymnal, if anyone might be interested. (Mainly cause I am going blind). If you are, see http://www.lulu.com/newriver/

There are some other baptist history things there as well, if you are interested.

Jeff

14. old regular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preacher's son, I have stayed all night at your fathers house and I am positive that some of his sermons were available on tape(audio)they were recorded by Bro.Fred Ross of Kenova W.Va he is a member of the Indian Bottom Association Bethany Church of Kenova you might be able to find a number from their web site.These were made when he was the pastor of NNH.Elder Kirby Ison someone may have an old reel to reel of him.There is to the best of my knowledge an ORB church in Kingsport Tn.Union Association and there were some meetings held in different parts of Tn to see if their was enough intrest in starting another ORB there.I have never heard of Women Preachers in any old school Baptist Churches.Bro.Slone

15. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

There aren't any women preachers in any as far as I know, but in 1934, one was licensed one to preach. Sister Nancy Owen, I knew her children, but that church refused to back down and was tossed from fellowship with the Mountain Union Association. The Church divided, part going off and joining some other churches in the neighborhood, and what was left of that church was closed many years ago. It was located on Forge Creek, Johnson County, Tennessee.

16. old regular

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is very interesting that something like that could have come about.I remember a brother telling me that there was a Seperate Baptist Church back years ago,I believe it was Shubal Stearn's home church that was supposed to have had a woman "preacher".He said he read it somewhere.I have known of women leading prayer in an ORB church that came from a United Baptist Assn. That incident caused quite a stir and associations where ready to declare non-fellowship with that church.I read about it in the New Salem Assn. Minute.New Salem was the "mother" of Mates Creek and Sandlick Reg.Primitive Associations Also the Union. Bro.Slone

17. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. Slone

You must remember there are two Sandlick Associations, one in Kentucky, very small, and one in Virginia, which is fairly good sized. The larger one (Sandlick in Va - 1967) in Virginia was formed as a result of a split in the old Washington District (1811), which was a daughter of the Holston (1786), which was a daughter of the Sandy Creek (17??). Don't remember off the top of my head.

18. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

There's a mix of United Baptist churches that have women lead in prayer. I wasn't familiar with it growing up, but I see it more here.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Separate Baptists were tolerant when it came to women preachers. Are the Separate Baptists today that way? I don't know much about their current views.

Wasn't Sandy Creek in 1758?

BTW, I enjoyed looking at your website, Bro Weaver.

David

19. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I don;t know if the Separates have women preachers now or not, but the Christian Unity Association, had them at one time, before they merged with the separates. I don;t think they have any at present at any rate. I'll have to ask my sister-in-law about that.

There was a Separate type fellow who stopped in awhile back, but haven't seen any more from him.

Around here the Southern Baptists have divided a bit over women in various and sundry roles. As far as I am aware, the Southern Baptists and perhaps the Separates are the only one who have women in deacon or preaching roles. Course the Southern Baptists also have a host of this and that for women, kids, and whom ever, which most of the rest of us dont partake of.

20. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

I've noticed that the Indian Bottom Association doesn't have a website anymore. Does anyone know what happened to it? It was "oldregularbaptist.org", but now it says that it doesn't exist.

They had some lined out songs that I was able to download before it disappeared.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.