• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prominence of Calvinists in History

luke1616

New Member
This is like the guys in Corinthians who said, "I am of Jesus." They were just as carnal as the ones who said they were of Paul and theo ones who said they were of Apollos.

It is not spiritual or christocentric to demand we not use any other man's name than Christ.

It is certainly not spiritual to insinuate that a brother in Christ exalts a man on equal footing with the Lord of Glory.

But it does make those non-cals feel good to accuse a Cal of being man centered.

I preach Christ and him crucifed and risen from the dead three times a week 52 weeks a year.

Our church is VERY Christ centered.

But we appreciate Calvin for showing us the need to be.

In an age where Popes and priests were exalted, Luther and Calvin came along with SOLA CHRISTUS!- Christ alone.

They are the ones who brought us BACK to Christ.
Nah dude, you're preaching Calvin. It's pretty plain that you are obsessed with this one. No one's mad or condemning you.:love2:
 

GBC Pastor

New Member
Most of these guys are not much more than a century old. Not much history.

Not sure what this has to do with anything.


Secondly, Billy Graham is now a Calvinist. He admitted that his crusade work kept him for years from reading the Scriptures the way he should. A few years ago he determined to read the Bible through in a year. He enjoyed it so much that he read it through in two months. By the end of it he converted to Calvinism.

Doesn’t change that his evangelistic ministry was done without a Calvinist influence.


Thirdly, it is still a great deal smaller list than can be given for Calvinism.

Wasn’t trying to be exhaustive…just what I came up with off the top of my head.

Fourthly, with the exception of Wesley, whom I greatly admire, as great as these men you listed were, few of them can be considered to be the caliber of men Edwards, Spurgeon, Luther, Wycliff, Augustine and others must be considered.

The “caliber”? Really? Are we now trying to measure the greatness of men? Seems like a flawed and perhaps sinful endeavor.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
Not sure what this has to do with anything.




Doesn’t change that his evangelistic ministry was done without a Calvinist influence.




Wasn’t trying to be exhaustive…just what I came up with off the top of my head.



The “caliber”? Really? Are we now trying to measure the greatness of men? Seems like a flawed and perhaps sinful endeavor.

It doesn't matter what it seems- it isn't.
 

Dr. Bob

Administrator
Administrator
I'm impressed with the list for sure.

Saddened that some would elevate non-calvinist like Finney (a proven heretic) and Lewis (doubtful he knew anything about biblical salvation) to a list THEY admire. Ugh.

But some calvinists are not so admirable, either.

The doctrinal truth is the Gospel and that distinguishes it from the man-centered arminian/semi-pelagian pseudo-theology.

(anyone saying that a person promoting calvinism is "preaching calvin" just demonstrates inability to read or reason)
 

StefanM

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
I would like to see a source on the Billy Graham issue. The only thing I could find online seemed to be pure satire.

Also, the original list is spurious. Although Luther was no Freewiller, his soteriology did differ from Calvin's.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
I would like to see a source on the Billy Graham issue. The only thing I could find online seemed to be pure satire.

Also, the original list is spurious. Although Luther was no Freewiller, his soteriology did differ from Calvin's.

Not much. Not much at all. And the list is not spurious. Prove such an accusation or don't make it. But I will go ahead and tell you that you cannot because you are wrong.
 

StefanM

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Your complaint is noted. I would like to point out that no one is forced to respond to these threads. Do you not have a free will whereby you can exercise choice NOT to attend?

And I suppose you are bound to the posting of such retorts?
 

StefanM

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Not much. Not much at all. And the list is not spurious. Prove such an accusation or don't make it. But I will go ahead and tell you that you cannot because you are wrong.

How about you prove the Billy Graham thing?

Also if you would analyze Lutheran soteriology and Calvinist soteriology, you would find a confusing inconsistency in Luther. Calvin makes much more sense. Also, Luther's sacramentalism is far more pronounced than Calvin's.

Moreover, do not tell me what I can and cannot post. You do not make that decision. You would do well to calm down a bit, as your postings are coming across as defensive and arrogant.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
How about you prove the Billy Graham thing?

Also if you would analyze Lutheran soteriology and Calvinist soteriology, you would find a confusing inconsistency in Luther. Calvin makes much more sense. Also, Luther's sacramentalism is far more pronounced than Calvin's.

Moreover, do not tell me what I can and cannot post. You do not make that decision. You would do well to calm down a bit, as your postings are coming across as defensive and arrogant.

Alright, I will dig up my research o the Billy Graham thing if you will prove my list spurious- that is quite an accusation that anyone with any character would feel the need to back up.
 

StefanM

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Alright, I will dig up my research o the Billy Graham thing if you will prove my list spurious- that is quite an accusation that anyone with any character would feel the need to back up.

I made my point. I questioned exactly two men on the list.
 

nodak

Active Member
Site Supporter
A cog must have slipped somewhere then, because Lutheran theology and Calvinist theology differ greatly.

Can't see Luther as a Calvinist at all.
 

Steven2006

New Member
Should Calvin even be considered a "great evangelist"?

Set aside what you think about any of his writings or beliefs for a moment and just examine his method of evangelism.

He certainly didn't spread the Gospel in the manner that Jesus and His disciples taught. Calvin's methods of dealing with those who didn't believe as he, disagreed with him and/or were to criticize him, was to punish, have imprisoned, or even have put to death. His methods actually remind me of the actions of many radical Islamics when you read about some of them.
 

Luke2427

Active Member
Should Calvin even be considered a "great evangelist"?

Set aside what you think about any of his writings or beliefs for a moment and just examine his method of evangelism.

He certainly didn't spread the Gospel in the manner that Jesus and His disciples taught. Calvin's methods of dealing with those who didn't believe as he, disagreed with him and/or were to criticize him, was to punish, have imprisoned, or even have put to death. His methods actually remind me of the actions of many radical Islamics when you read about some of them.

This is spurious.
 

menageriekeeper

Active Member
:
Originally Posted by Steven2006
Should Calvin even be considered a "great evangelist"?

Set aside what you think about any of his writings or beliefs for a moment and just examine his method of evangelism.

He certainly didn't spread the Gospel in the manner that Jesus and His disciples taught. Calvin's methods of dealing with those who didn't believe as he, disagreed with him and/or were to criticize him, was to punish, have imprisoned, or even have put to death. His methods actually remind me of the actions of many radical Islamics when you read about some of them.


This is spurious.

Why is it spurious to compare the methods of Calvin to those described in scripture? Maybe because Calvin fell far short of:

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

How can one not consider these things?
 
Top