Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Thank you. I think that is the most comprehensive answer. Baptists grew up in crowded, persecuted surroundings. Most had not choice but to put the pulpit in the middle so everyone could hear.Baptists usually have the pulpit in the middle, emphasizing the centrality of the preached Word.
Several years ago, I led the music in our church. The first Sunday I started, I went to the pulpit to perform my duties. I was informed by the pastor I was to use the music stand, NOT the pulpitOriginally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
History Lesson:
Sadly, this central pulpit was still monopolized by the "clergy" and used for pulpiteering, not for true preaching, sharing and communication.
Isnt it anti Baptist NOT to have a pulpit?Originally posted by WallyGator:
Most newer (church plant, home churches,etc.) settle the question. They don't even have a pulpit!
Isnt it anti Baptist NOT to have a pulpit? </font>[/QUOTE]Might even be anti-Biblical, or "sumthin". I believe that is probably found in the book of II Calamity, or somewhere like that!Originally posted by SALTCITYBAPTIST:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WallyGator:
Most newer (church plant, home churches,etc.) settle the question. They don't even have a pulpit!
Uh- didn't Jesus stand up to read, sit down to teach, and jump into a boat to preach? Or did I misread that one?Originally posted by rbell:
Interesting thoughts...
We have no pulpit at my church. What does that say about us?
(This oughta be fun...!)