1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Churches Join Catholic-Lutheran Accord Regarding Justification

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jerome, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The big problem is that unless the priests has been gifted to be celebrate, his natural desire for sex will cause him problems without any way to "appease it"

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should discuss this without the accusations. Leaders who abuse their position don't actually affect the underlying theology.

In marriage we enjoy the closest of human relationships, likened throughout Scripture to the relationship of God with his people and further we enjoy parenting. The priest should be helping his flock develop that relationship but he is denied it by the church. If marriage is a sacrament, priests should be encouraged to marry.

3. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Many Catholic priests are married, does that surprise you? It is only in the Latin ritet that celibacy is a discipline.

4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The word Romanist Is as offensive to Catholic Christians as papist, mackerel snapper etc. please refrain from using bigoted terms when referring to us .

No, you're the one that keeps mentioning pedophile priest and lawsuits when you got plenty of child diddlers in your own churches

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are Catholic priests in the church right now who are married and with children. If you want to be a married catholic priest.... just ask God.

I'm still waiting for you fellahs to tell me what this bible verse means. I never said a word. I don't see how you guys are so offended by holy scripture.

1 Corinthians 7

32But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord; 33but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife,

6. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Walter, do you refer to non-Romanists as Protestants?

Your personal offense is not my concern.

As to your second claim, go back and read Adonia's rose colored image of the Romanist priesthood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a friend who has the gift of celibacy. He's been involved in missions for half a century. He does not concern himself with raising children or family plans. He just goes and does whatever he believes God desires of him.

Uti, the verses you quote do not demand celibacy. Peter did missionary work while having a wife.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Most non-Catholics I referr to as evangelicals. However sects such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons I do not consider to be either Christian or evangelical. When I witness to Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses I do not use terms that offend them. With your seething hatred for Catholics I can see you could care less who you offend (as you just stated)

9. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No hatred, but Romanists are technically a cult.
    Thus I see Romanists as being in the same vein as JWs and Mormons. The gospel is perverted with the teaching of works salvation and adherence to the cults rules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh I see, you have no problem with your friend having the "gift of celibacy", but when it comes to Catholic priests you scream bloody murder. Are you sure your friend is not a secret pedophile?

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As one who rejects orthodox Christianity I understand where you come from, but this is only your opinion, one that you derive from your particular interpretation of the Holy Scriptures.

We see it differently of course. The One Universal (Catholic) Church does indeed have the power to decide things on this earth, given to it by Jesus Christ as recorded in the Scriptures. From the singling out of Peter to head the church here on earth, to the binding and loosing mandate, the Catholic Church takes it's responsibilities seriously.

They did not just wake up one day in the 15th century and make this claim, but traces their ecclesiastical authority all the way back to the very beginning.

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How so? I merely mentioned some of the Catholic religious I have come in contact with and have stated my opinion that they are holy and happy people in their earthly positions of being members of specific religious orders.

I have seen some wonderful and exemplary leaders of the Catholic Church during my lifetime including people like Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, Pope John Paul II, Mother Theresa, Mother Angelica of EWTN, and my personal friend Sister Marion to mention a few.

I do not for a moment dismiss any evil deeds done by some leaders of the Catholic Church during it's long existence and as you say we all need a Redeemer and we can once again thank our Father in heaven for sending us His Son.

13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Our friend has no problem with them, it's Catholics with whom he has an obsession with.

14. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, I am sure.

I have no problem with any person being single and celibate. Obviously there are a lot of priests who do not have that gift. If the church at Rome wasn't so foolish in their biblical understanding, they would welcome their pastors to be married. Since they have created a false requirement, they end up with priests who are not Christians and cover up sins.

To come full circle on this, we see that the Roman church creates rules by finding proof texts in the Bible, out of context to push their illegitimate pretext.

I shake my head at how badly the Roman church misinterprets the Bible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dana Carvey's "Church Lady" was taken from a priest who was on EWTN. I remember bursting out with laughter when I saw the guy and his mannerisms.

It's too bad that many whom you idolize are not in heaven because they never knew the grace of God. Yes they were pious, pious doesn't save anyone. Have you read the memories of Ms Theresa? She, sadly, was empty in her spirit, not knowing God, but serving for the sake of others.

I wish you could see how sad it is to watch so many people try so hard to be pious on their own and never know God's grace. They are all like Martin Luther before God gripped him by grace, not works. I pray for Romanists, that they might be shown God's grace without the extra baggage thrown on them by Rome.

16. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Catholic church doesn't teach works salvation. Just because someone order's a burger with no mustard it doesn't mean they wanted extra ketchup.

We actually have the rules spelled out, its funny you still have to make up what we believe to point something wrong with it.

We never have to do that with you. I guess honor gets regenerated a lot later.

17. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are asking for a lot here. If you force them to use sola scriptura, their theology tumbles like a deck of cards. They consider sola scriptura a heresy, and have to have oral traditions as well.

The great whore of Babylon is alive and well, and rules from Babylon with a rod of marshmallows.

18. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we leave off the accusations and discuss the OP, please.

Is this a basis for church unity? The WCRC seemed doubtful as I am also.

We have a much loved Polish Catholic d-i-l with two precious little children. I'm looking for common understanding leading to a living faith, not controversy.

19. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I do when you consistently misinterpret it.

20. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was wondering when this often repeated charge was going to come up once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.