1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should I learn Hebrew and Greek?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JasonF, Jun 25, 2023.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. It would be foolish of me to say that all you need to do to exegete is translate.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JasonF

JasonF Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, honestly I am not sure my mind is up to it, though I think in my 20's it may have been, but stress and anxiety has taken a toll, and meds, who knows.

But at 38 and not living near a Bible school or Seminary, what all material or method do you all recommend? If your most recommended is expensive, what also would be the less expensive alternative as money is tight at the moment.

Thank you.

3. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #23 Piper, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure if the OP said "why" anyone should learn Greek and Hebrew. However, many Christians believe learning one or both of them is needed to gain a sound understanding of God's word. People have various gifts, and some are more academically inclined. It probably would have been a waste of my time, and those involved in teaching me, to have attempted to learn foreign languages. If I was gifted at all academically, it would have been more on the math, statistical analysis side, then language arts.

If a person has invested in learning one or more of the original languages used in God's word, I expect nearly 100% of them will say it is absolutely necessary.

OTOH, people can go a long way toward gaining a sound understanding of God's word through careful and prayerful study using their native language tools available, such as exhaustive concordance, reverse interlinear, lexicon, commentary and training in bible study methods.

5. JasonF

JasonF Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to look up what most of all that is, but for Bible study methods, what do people recommend. I saw the book under In PDF format, Rightly Dividing the Word on this site I was shared a different resource from here,

In Print

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JasonF
    Personally I currently us a MySword Android App, for Greek and Hebrew look up were needed. In 1968 I was using a printed Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

7. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use @John of Japan . He's available 24/7 for the low low price of $9.95 a month. :Biggrin

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are referring to:
    1) Exhaustive Concordance, it is a book based on a particular translation, I have one for the NIV, that lists all the words found in that version of the bible, both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. So if you have chosen a version to be your primary study bible, you need to purchase an Exhaustive Concordance for that particular version.

An example of how to use the Exhaustive Concordance: Say I say without reference the bible says things happen by chance. How could you acting as a noble Berean, check whether or not my claim is true? You simply look up "chance" in the concordance, and see everywhere that word is used in that translation. In less than a minute or so, you would know which verses to read to verify or falsify my claim.

2) Reverse Interlinear, it is a book that presents the translation in English, and above or below provides the Greek or Hebrew, or Aramaic word translated. Some even parse the word, telling you the grammar, such as verb, active, present, etc. This aid can be found on line.

3) Lexicon, provides the original word mean or range of meanings, and some of the English words used to translate it. You can use it like a dictionary or biblical words.

4) Commentaries are found on line and are useful for finding the range of understandings of the published scholars for each verse. Some translations provide commentary within their translation such as the NIV and NLT and are useful to finding at least one understanding or interpretation of what the verse seems to be saying.

5) My training in how to use these and other aids was provided in a bible study class given by the Pastor of our church. If you are not working with a group of believers, you are vulnerable to going off the deep end.

10. JasonF

JasonF Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did start going to a church recently but for my studying I am not studying everything with other people but I am posting here questions and such?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not the place to learn how to study scripture. Talk to your pastor about someone mentoring those thirsting for the pure gospel by teaching how to use study aids to study the bible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good words brother. Your whole post is great.

You do not NEED Greek or Hebrew, but if you can, I'd recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let’s put the horse in front of the cart first shall we? Do you have the need,?the will to & the burning desire to learn these languages?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you recommend it if it’s not needed?

15. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Would say learn both Hebrew and Greek if you fell called to be a teacher or a pastor, as those languages would be a great benefit to you, but if you choose this route, pick one or the other to master first!

If going to be a lay person, would suggest getting Dr Mounce Greek for the rest of us

16. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has helped me in many many cases gain a further understanding of the meaning of the author and the nuances that Greek language has that English does not. There's more, but that should be enough.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Learning the basics of the biblical languages allows you to read with some understanding, the commentaries that reference them.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JasonF

JasonF Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you help me understand what the difference would be with learning the languages and looking at like Strong's Greek words definitions for each word in a verse? Or is it just that you can't really read it freely by looking up Strong's Greek words in another source by clicking teach spot, as maybe just reading smoothly helps give more meaning?

19. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking at Strong's is like Kindergarten. Learning it yourself is like Going to high School.

20. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    strong's is very reliable. But incomplete.