1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Spurgeon on Creeds

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, like for the life of me I don't understand why Baptists on BB would ever use the WCF as a confession......

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended a few national gatherings of the ARBCA (Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America) and loved the music/fellowship but the preaching sessions did not meet my expectations. Instead of a textual sermon or even a topical focus on a doctrine or such, they focused on in-depth exposition of phrases of the 1689 2nd London Baptist Confession. Word-by-word careful examination. Parsing grammar.

Good, but I would have appreciated that same attention to a bibical verse or phrase. Never preached from a doctrinal statement/confession and never considered focusing on man-made wording/sentences in such as so important. In private I asked why they shifted from the 1644 (which I held to, loosely) to a simple minor revision of the WCF written by non-Baptists. Soon found out I was not welcome to be part of ARBCA :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Agreed, as can use 1644/1689/1833, but the Wcf holds to that pesky baby being sprinkled!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

seems that Presbyterians take and use their Wcf at times almost as if on par with bible, as they tend to talk and use itmore it then even bible!

5. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My former pastor attended a reformed church in Nebraska briefly after he retired from our former church here. He said they emphasized the 1689 very heavily, having Sunday school classes on it, asking people if they subscribed to it (frequently), and I think there was a little bit of it in the sermon too (if I recall correctly). Anyway what finally ended it for them is the church was handing out buttons one Sunday that said "Isn't it grand to be reformed," that was their last Sunday there.

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's when a confession or a tradition becomes an idol. That, to me, should be considered sinful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 5 point Gillinist

5 point Gillinist Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I agree. That is what I had in mind with my initial comments

• Like Like x 1