• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Study: Fewer young people attending SBC

preachinjesus

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
Posted on Jan 7, 2008 | by Mark Kelly
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--A new study of attendance at Southern Baptist Convention annual meetings shows the percentage of messengers in the 18-39 age group steadily declining since 1980 -– the early days of the SBC's Conservative Resurgence -– and dropping sharply since 2004. The percentage of messengers in the 60-plus age group, however, has increased dramatically.

Conducted by LifeWay Research, the study analyzed messenger registration survey data for every annual meeting since 1980 for three major age groups: 18-39, 40-59 and 60-plus.


more at...http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=27143

All I can say to this is it gets the "duh!" prize of 2008. I have no desire to ever attend the Annual Convention (and I am well within the 20something demographic) for I see it to be a gianormous waste of time and money. Why go and be a poor steward of my conference dollars when I can attend other conferences and be challenged, refreshed, and given a true Kingdom vision.

I'll always be a faithful supporter of the Cooperative Program because I believe it is genius. I can't say the same about the national convention.
 

dan e.

New Member
preachinjesus said:
Posted on Jan 7, 2008 | by Mark Kelly
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--A new study of attendance at Southern Baptist Convention annual meetings shows the percentage of messengers in the 18-39 age group steadily declining since 1980 -– the early days of the SBC's Conservative Resurgence -– and dropping sharply since 2004. The percentage of messengers in the 60-plus age group, however, has increased dramatically.

Conducted by LifeWay Research, the study analyzed messenger registration survey data for every annual meeting since 1980 for three major age groups: 18-39, 40-59 and 60-plus.


more at...http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=27143

All I can say to this is it gets the "duh!" prize of 2008. I have no desire to ever attend the Annual Convention (and I am well within the 20something demographic) for I see it to be a gianormous waste of time and money. Why go and be a poor steward of my conference dollars when I can attend other conferences and be challenged, refreshed, and given a true Kingdom vision.

I'll always be a faithful supporter of the Cooperative Program because I believe it is genius. I can't say the same about the national convention.

I'll give a hearty ditto.
 

USN2Pulpit

New Member
Me, too - as a bi-vocational with limited time off in my secular job, I will always pick the evangelism conference over a business meeting. I will pray that my brethren that attend the SBC make wise decisions.

Local church business meetings take enough out of me already...
 
Top