Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Doesn't the SBC already have a successful strategy to train the laity for Kingdom service--Seminary Extension?
The SBC has several classes one can take by doing the work through Nashville. Years ago they has courses taught at churhces and each person who completed the course received a certificate. They were quite good. They were aimed at serious lay people in the church who wanted to be better teachers and better equipped to do ministry. I have used their materials among all kinds of people.Any opinions about this program of study at Southwestern? It is clearly aimed a lay-persons rather than vocational ministry which fits me, and since I work in Fort Worth it will be very convenient. But I recently turned 50 and I do not know the targeted students demographics for this program.
When I was younger, I got many hours of good training through those church study courses. I took some in group settings through the association and took many through independent study. They have a different look now, but the training is still good. Many of those courses counted for CEUs later for my ACSI license. Not the same as college courses, but that level of training isn't needed for everything.The SBC has several classes one can take by doing the work through Nashville. Years ago they has courses taught at churhces and each person who completed the course received a certificate. They were quite good. They were aimed at serious lay people in the church who wanted to be better teachers and better equipped to do ministry. I have used their materials among all kinds of people.
I wonder if, on some level, programs like this aren't an indictment at how poorly churches are training their members in theology, church history, English Bible, and ministry.
In an effort to increase enrollments that has happened many places.And Southwestern is nowhere near the intellectual and scholarly force it once was. It's been heading downhill at an increasing rate for years. Patterson's odd, made-up degrees (like the homemaking one) are nothing short of laughable and bizarre.
I'm no huge fan of Patterson. And SWBTS is IMHO nowhere near the caliber of a SBTS or SEBTS now under Dr. Akin's leadership. That said, I think it's a bit of a stretch to make it sound like SWBTS is somehow dying on the vine. Patterson is a polarizing figure. People either love him or hate him - which makes him perfect for SWBTS.This is, sadly, probably correct.
And Southwestern is nowhere near the intellectual and scholarly force it once was. It's been heading downhill at an increasing rate for years. Patterson's odd, made-up degrees (like the homemaking one) are nothing short of laughable and bizarre.
How does that make him perfect for SWBTS?Patterson is a polarizing figure. People either love him or hate him - which makes him perfect for SWBTS.
Where would you send you son or daughter to seminary if they wanted to be well prepared for ministry?
I agree with you. I would think the greater the rigor the greater the learning and equipping. One who is lazy and knows little would ever teach someone what they need to know to do well.They're not all seminaries, but Fuller, Talbot, Trinity, Wheaton, Gordon-Conwell, to name a few. You will lean at those schools how to exegete and interpret Scripture, as well as learn how to interact with culture. I'm not a particularly big fan of most of the Baptist seminaries at this point, but Southern, I think, is the strongest, from what I've read and heart.
And I certainly wouldn't suggest someone receive a degree in lay ministry or homemaking. Get a theology degree or a religious education degree or something similar that will prepare you in the discipline.
The staff at SBTS may be the best staff of professors ever gathered in one place at one time in the history of the church, which is not to say that there are not also great men of faith in other institutions -- there are -- just not as many and not all gathered in one location.
SWBTS has always elicited strong feelings from both sides of the spectrum through much of its history. Also, it's had its share of rather imposing figures as President (Carroll, Scarborough, Naylor, Dilday, and now Patterson). Imposing may not be the best word, but you get my drift.How does that make him perfect for SWBTS?
I agree that SBTS is the greatest on the planet and best of the Big six. That said, Drs. Block, Blaising, House, Howell, Mitchell, and others, have left to teach elsewhere, and these men are some of the best in their field (Mitchell may be unsurpassed in evangelical bioethics). So to say that the greatest profs in the history of the world are there now may be a bit of a stretch, but I can't argue with someone who loves the Beeches as much as I doA question to consider when thinking about the stature of seminaries and their professors is whether the leading professors in their fields would gravitate to that seminary if given the chance or not. In the case of SBTS, the answer is yes -- they are waiting in line.. The staff at SBTS may be the best staff of professors ever gathered in one place at one time in the history of the church, which is not to say that there are not also great men of faith in other institutions -- there are -- just not as many and not all gathered in one location.
That said, Drs. Block, Blaising, House, Howell, Mitchell, and others, have left to teach elsewhere, and these men are some of the best in their field (Mitchell may be unsurpassed in evangelical bioethics). So to say that the greatest profs in the history of the world are there now may be a bit of a stretch, but I can't argue with someone who loves the Beeches as much as I do![]()
SWBTS has always elicited strong feelings from both sides of the spectrum through much of its history. Also, it's had its share of rather imposing figures as President (Carroll, Scarborough, Naylor, Dilday, and now Patterson). Imposing may not be the best word, but you get my drift.