1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Liberty University Influence

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Jan 9, 2024.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am a member of the Pentecostal Holiness Church who also visits Baptist churches. I have sent a niece through Liberty University. Most of the pastors I know both Pentecostal and Baptist are Liberty University graduates.

Liberty University's Rawlings School of Divinity

In which boasts the world’s largest school for religious studies and ministerial training. Liberty University defines itself as a Christian college that aligns with the evangelical tradition. But with the Thomas Road Baptist church nearby, arguably more Baptist.

So... We are a Pentecostal Holiness denomination filled with Liberty graduates. With the Liberty University influence comes change. The nearby Radford Pentecostal Holiness Church has renamed itself Compassion Church with Liberty graduates at the helm. We also have a nearby Northstar church that are fruits of Baptist ministries. When asked about denomination influence the Liberty graduate will tell you they are, "Bible Believing." The Northstar church does very well with I would say 1,000 folk in attendance while Virginia Tech classes are in progress. Noting that both churches have about the same training, they also share in the fact that there is no advertised denomination. You would have to dig to find their denominational influences.

Compassion Church Radford | A family where you belong
    Northstar Church - Who We Are

In advise in choosing a church of this influence I would highly recommend to research into the leadership.Good leadership is essential. Saint Ambrose once said, "While in Rome do as the Romans." Which I believe is good advice and there may be a time to get out of Rome if the Romans are getting off base. But while in Rome I at least try to be friendly and well mannered.

My goodness! What a delicate thread! These are... Though... Changing times in which denominational focus is not what it was as in times past.

2. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. We are no longer traditional Baptist
    2. We are no longer traditional Pentecostal Holiness

I would say each church is developing their own feel, as did the Thomas Road Baptist Church. I would caution here the possibilities of bad people, such as we have in Jerry Falwell Jr. And, equally. The possibilities of fine people, such as we have in his brother Jonathan Falwell

3. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. - Matthew 13:24-25

In making such a declaration almost promises good and bad people in each church that was intended to be good. It is unfortunate that I cannot recommend a specific church. But we have the possibility of good and bad people in each Christian movement.