I just bought a book over the weekend at the behest of a Koran friend. I had paged through it before, but actually purchased it this time. It's called : Korea Unmasked : In Search Of The Country, The Society And The People. Won-bok Rhie is the illustrator,while Jung Un & Louis Choi are the translators.
Yes, the format of this 236 page book is comic-book style.However, he makes what I think are significant points.I know I have posted this on the Bible Versions/Translations forum, but I think some application can be made to the methodology of Bible translation.
I will quote from a segment of Mr. Choi's Translator's Notes.
The translation of this comic book about Korea aims at accuracy, conveying the intent and message of the author,which,ironically,meant straying from a strictly literal translation of the text.How far do I divagate (sic) from a "word for word" translation and what standard of English should be employed? Comic books are different from novels and illustrated books:words and images work together as functional parts of a sentence.After translating Rousseau's "Emile," Allan Bloom wrote that every translation is "in some sense an interpretation; and thus there can be no mechanical rules for translation." My translation of this book is an interpretation,an idea of what I thought the author was tring to convey through the alliance of words and drawings. A literal translation would have eliminated the humor, the inside jokes only a Korean would know, leaving the English reader to sluggishly forge through a dry and awkward representation of Korea. I try to convey the spirit and passion of this book by utilizing the entire English language,vernacular and standard.
Yes, the format of this 236 page book is comic-book style.However, he makes what I think are significant points.I know I have posted this on the Bible Versions/Translations forum, but I think some application can be made to the methodology of Bible translation.
I will quote from a segment of Mr. Choi's Translator's Notes.
The translation of this comic book about Korea aims at accuracy, conveying the intent and message of the author,which,ironically,meant straying from a strictly literal translation of the text.How far do I divagate (sic) from a "word for word" translation and what standard of English should be employed? Comic books are different from novels and illustrated books:words and images work together as functional parts of a sentence.After translating Rousseau's "Emile," Allan Bloom wrote that every translation is "in some sense an interpretation; and thus there can be no mechanical rules for translation." My translation of this book is an interpretation,an idea of what I thought the author was tring to convey through the alliance of words and drawings. A literal translation would have eliminated the humor, the inside jokes only a Korean would know, leaving the English reader to sluggishly forge through a dry and awkward representation of Korea. I try to convey the spirit and passion of this book by utilizing the entire English language,vernacular and standard.