1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The plain reading of Scripture then Traditional

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Cathode, Jul 24, 2024.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:63-64, . . . It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. But there are some of you that believe not. . . .

John 6:47, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

2. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.“

When Jesus says that it is the Spirit that gives life, but the flesh profits nothing, He is talking about the difference between how the spiritual man discerns His words and the natural man (the flesh) profits nothing from His words.

Jesus words can only be believed by supernatural faith, not by human understanding.

Peter made a supernatural act of faith in Jesus words.

“ You have the WORDS of everlasting life “

If you mean mere intellectual assent, no. Supernatural Faith is required.

Many didn’t believe Jesus flesh was real food and blood real drink, like Judas.

John 6: 64 “But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.”

“As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.”

The connection between John 6 and the Last Supper is Judas unbelief at Jesus words here.

The bread that Jesus gave at the Last Supper was His flesh.

“ The bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world “

Why does John link this teaching that Jesus flesh is real food and blood real drink to Judas’ unbelief and later betrayal at the Last Supper.

This at the precise moment when Jesus gives His body and blood in Covenant.

Without faith, eating Jesus flesh is fatal, people don’t get everlasting life, they get the opposite.

People eat and drink their damnation as Paul says.