1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bruren777, Aug 1, 2005.

1. faithtrustbelief

faithtrustbelief New Member

Ok you just made no sense at all....The scriptures you are quoting have nothing to do with that you think they do.

2. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I think you are alone in your assessment!
    Thank you for your kindness.

3. I see where PrimePower7 is comming from, makes perfect sense to me.

All he/she is saying is IF, I say big IF Tithing is for today then we have the responsiblilty as did those who followed God in the old testament to support his ( Gods ) work. How else is this going to be done if WE Gods people do not do it ?

Simple it won't ! I totally agree we should give and support the church and Gods work, but I think the way it is preached and demanded for us to do so, the way faithtrustbelief and others are and some pastors is wrong. We should give for the right reasons not under law, legalism or any other external factor.

PrimePower7 I got ya
    [​IMG]

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Nothing in NT? how do you read Rom 7:6

5. buckster75

buckster75 Member

faithtrustbelief,

It might also help if you do some study on the history of church finance. We baptist used to ridicule the Catholics for the practice of tithing. But like the dumb blind sheep that we so often have been we finally do as those catholics do. Won't be long and and the baptist will start sprinkling or pouring.

6. buckster75

buckster75 Member

The other verses besides Rom 7:6. Col 2:14, Eph 2:15

7. faithtrustbelief

As far as Romans 7:6 goes you are totally taking that verse out of context, and you are not reading further. If you read Romans 7:6-9 it is telling you we are still under the law. The law is what shows us we are sinners. The upgrade to the OT which is the NT is what has saved us. Either way you look at it that does not support your argument.

Col.2:14 - Again you are taking the verse out of context. Not talking about what you think it is. This is not saying the law is no longer valid.

Ephesians 2:15 - Again you are taking scripture outof context. Here this scripture is dealing with the unity of all believers, and is not telling us the law is not in effect. It is actually telling the Jews not to abuse the law (Old Testament).

Guys either way you look at it SOME of the Ot laws are still in effect...

I think you are wrong, and you think I am wrong. I can read my bible, and I know the truth. The truth is some of the OT practices (such as tithing) are still in effect. Some people use your view to try and find an excuse for not tithing, or putting Jesus first.

I am now officially dropping the subject. I am tried of trying to make you guys see the truth.

There is no scripture in the NT saying we should not tithe. However as I have shown you in Luke 18:11-12 Jesus mentions tithing.

I will continue to tell the flock that Jesus has assigned me too the truth or be "legalistic" as you like to call me with them. I am at peace that I know the truth. I get my messages from Jesus, my Lord and Savior.

8. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Faithtrustbelieve,
    A person like myself could look at your comment about me finding an excuse not to tithe and say, in return, the reason you are so strong on tithing is because you are insecure about your ability to hold a job and pastor a church.

Is this possible? I can ask such things since that was my situation. I did not want to work a job and pastor my small church, so I laid it on heavy when it came to the subject of tithing. Now, as you can see by my profile, I work. Things do change for some of us when we are convicted about laying a heavy yoke of bondage on a New Testament believer.

Thanks for your time.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Jesus also mentions to Peter to catch a fish to pay a tax but I can't catch one to pay mine.

10. buckster75

buckster75 Member

your point is not truth. for one reason people can not always be cheerful with this yoke you try to put on them.

11. faithtrustbelief

I have no problem working if I must. I also am in no way insecure about my ability of holding a job or pastoring a church. It is not my ability to hold on to anything that will make God's ministry successful. God is the one that uses me to make his ministry successful. You need to get youself out of the way my brother. God makes his ministry successful not me. I just do what he tells me to.

This "heavy yoke of bondage" as you put it is the truth. I will continue to preach the truth, and not be modernistic, and liberal about God's Word.

12. buckster75

buckster75 Member

This is not modernistic. Teaching tithing is what is modern baptist did not teach this in early America.

13. kubel

kubel New Member

A tenth of our first fruits was mentioned BEFORE the law.

Then came the law.

Then came christ to free us from the law.

Tithing is NOT part of the law, thus we are not freed from it.

But anyone can decide if they want to believe that. It's between you and God whether or not you tithe, not you and man.

14. faithtrustbelief

[​IMG] Sadly another misguided soul the devil has blinded. I will say a prayer for each of you my brothers. I hope Jesus will touch you in a way which will make you realize the error of your ways.

15. buckster75

buckster75 Member

16. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I don't get it...say again

17. Frances

Frances New Member

The Bible plainly & simply tells us how to give but the problem is that too many are looking for something not plain or simple.
    So as a man purposeth so let him give, not grudgingly or of necessity.
    Tithing was of the law just as we pay our taxes today, but Jesus became the end of the law. Now we live by faith and full trust in him and his teachings to become a christian. If someone teaches that you have to pay a tenth of your wages to be a christian he is putting you back under the law which was impossible to keep but through Jesus Christ and his teachings thank God we can (through Him & His Forgiveness) be christians.

18. Frances

Frances New Member

In my previous post where I used the word IMPOSSIBLE,I meant to use UNPROFITABLE, which is used in the scriptures.

19. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Frances,
    you are correct. unfortunately those people Paul warns of are still with us. we will soon be required to be circumcised if it is up to them.

20. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Originally posted by kubel:
    A tenth of our first fruits was mentioned BEFORE the law.

Then came the law.

Then came christ to free us from the law.

Tithing is NOT part of the law, thus we are not freed from it.

That said, put it into context. Tithing was to the levitical priesthood. NEVER, NEVER,NEVER, is it mentioned that the church should tithe. Todays tithe is a man made law where church leadership refuse to practise what they preach.

They tell you to have faith that God will bless you if you tithe, no matter what.(not biblical) Church leaders are the ones that don't trust God. If they did they would have faith in the way God set up N.T. giving.