1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Unanswered Questions (Penal Substitution Theory)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Sep 11, 2023.

1. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's absurd to suggest death is not a divine judgment. Didn't you ever read Genesis 3? You have painted yourself into a corner to where you must with every reply deny essential scriptures. But we find ourselves thousands of years later and the reality of human life is that we naturally die, we can die because of all kinds of accidents, situations and sometimes by God direct action. We can even die as a martyr and be doing God's will. But originally, it was indeed a divine judgment that we had to die. It's the same with punishment or God's wrath. Sometimes wrath and punishment is done by God directly and some is held up for judgment. There is no falsely equating of anything in penal substitution. You just have to come up with some kind of scenario with which you can extricate yourself from your corner.
    I hope you realize that what you are calling stupidity is really God himself acting according to his perfect nature.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Those who affirm Penal Substitution Theory and oppose my view think of my view the same way I think of their view.

I do not take offense. I held Penal Substitution Theory for most of my life. Reading early church and Anabaptist writings I also found the classic view lacking, unbiblical, and missing the truth of Scripture. I wondered how those Christians could be so ignorant of Scripture.

But I did not think less of those Christians.

Now that I have come to the same position and reject Penal Substitution Theory, I have no right to be offended when others think poorly of the classic view.

Did I call the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement "unbiblical"? Absolutely. I believe it is. Did members who hold the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement call the classic view "unbiblical"? Yes, and I'd expect nothing less. That is fine. We should argue our beliefs.

I am not sure what part of that you find difficult to understand.

My point is Christians should honestly debate. This means expressing their views of other positions. This does not include attacking other people.

Please let me know what part of this dies not make sense to you and I'll do my best to explain in, hopefully, a clearer way.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I read Genesis 3. We have discussed this before. I believe Genesis 3 means what it states in Scripture.

Why go to ad hominem again???

I am saying that the teaching that God transfered criminal actions from the guilty to the Innocent and then punished the innocent for those actions, thereby clearing the guilty, is a stupid teaching. It is not found in God's Word and it is a stupid handling of sins.

4. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I know you are. And if you are referring to penal substitution by that statement you are being unwise.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to explain what I find difficult to understand let’s review your post 36.
    So, you have acknowledged you referred to PSA as “unbiblical”. You also referred to it as “stupid and silly.”

You then claim when others referred to your belief as “unbiblical” it is a “much worse label than you put on PSA”.

So, just to help me understand, how is others referring to your belief as “unbiblical” a “much worse label than you referring to their belief as “unbiblical, stupid, and silly”?

peace to you

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Second death IS divine judgment. It is the wrath of God poured out on the wicked.

And God certainly causes men to die as a judgment (like the fella who touched the Arc).

But Scripture tells us that the wages of sin is death. We have to believe that.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. Let's take a look.

I said that the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement is unbiblical.

If you believe that theory then yes, I am saying that belief you hold is unbiblical.

But that is not ad hominem.

You believe my view is unbiblical if you hold to the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement.

And that's fine. You can say you believe the Classic view is unbiblical because believe Penal Substitution is correct.

We can't simply pretend each of us believes the other person wrong but biblical. That does not make sense.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok....this thread is getting a bit crazy. It is a very simple question. I'll try to make it easier.

Suppose God punished our sins on Christ instead of punishing us and then Christ said "it is finished" and afterwards ascended to the Father without physically dying.

How would that change Penal Substitution?

9. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose you actually link an article where a real Baptist theologian refutes penal substitution and then we can have a reference point to refute or support what he said. That might actually help. We would have concrete arguments on hand to look at rather than these meaningless hypothetical scenarios.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I often don’t think you read my posts. You completely missed the point I made.

We are talking passed each other. Time for me to call it a night

peace to you

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal Substitution Gospel

But that is another topic.

Why is it that Penal Substitution theorists never answer questions that challenge their theory?

I always get a reply about my view, about examining others who hold a different view.....it gets old.

Can you guys really not answer simple questions?

Afterwards start a thread questioning the classic view.

12. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    @JonC. Regarding your link to another thread where you list some Baptist theologians who are against penal substitution I feel there needs to be some follow up. It is difficult to find their work readily available but that's neither here nor there and it does not necessarily reflect the quality of their work. However, I found two of the ones you mentioned, Stamps and Emerson actually defending penal substitution against an attack by someone else in a recent article.
    Baptist Catholicity and Penal Substitutionary Atonement — Center For Baptist Renewal
    What gives and what is this "Baptist-Catholicity" movement anyway? You know what I was asking. Is there really a serious movement among Baptists to ditch penal substitution? The fact is, while some of these guys, being theologians, have expanded explanations of the atonement and like Torrance, go into aspects of Christs death that may or may not be part of the actual atonement, depending on how it's defined - I still am not seeing any serious Baptist attacking penal substitution. So far, I find this article, and I came across an article on an Anabaptist site that was ambiguous but didn't seem opposed to penal substitution and there is of course Torrance, who it turns out is not at all opposed to penal substitution although he is opposed to limited atonement.
    As soon as you define it we will.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see a need, here, to discuss those who oppose Penal Substitution Theory. But it would be an interesting discussion for another thread.

I find it hard to believe, with Anabaptist theologians like Weaver, Belousek, Murray, and Finger (to name only a few modern Anabaptist scholars) that you have not encountered any Anabaptists rejecting Penal Substitution.
    Anabaptist theology as a whole rejects retributive justice as divine justice.

You may want to study more on that.

Also, the Southern Baptist theologians I listed actually wrote opposing the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement. Two of them openly challenged the SBC on the issue.

It'd be an interesting topic, perhaps looking at each individually, for an appropriate thread.

But I think if we were to discuss them it'd just be received with a bunch of Penal Substitution theorists trying to discredit the theologians rather than examining what they have to say about atonement theories. That is what always happens (on all sides).

Anyway, this thread is not about Anabaptist theology. It is not about Baptists who oppose the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement.

It is simply asking a few questions of Christians who believe Penal Substitution Theory correct.

I do not understand why, if Penal Substitution theorists really believes their view is right, they refuse to answer questions and instead try to change the topic into discussing opposing views.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will what? This thread is not about the Classic view (which has been defined several times... @Arthur King did much better than I could on that part).

Why do opposing views have to be defined before Penal Substitution theorists can answer a few simple questions about the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement?????

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok. Let's unpack this.

Suppose you are correct - that physical death is not a product of sin but divine judgment against sin.

If that is true then we still suffer part of God's punishment for our sins. Jesus atoned for a significant part, but we atone for part as well. Jesus partly propitiated God's wrath and atonement is a joint work of God and man.

16. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a style of scripture interpretation that gets you into trouble. God said that Adam would die if he ate the fruit. That was the divine judgement. What did that look like? Adam and all people became subject to physical death, mortality, injury, accident and violence by men and beasts. So yes, you could say it was a "product" of sin if you want and not be wrong. You are wrong though if you insist that it cannot be a product or result of sin and yet be due to divine judgement.

What you are doing is trying to create a false and absurd scenario to discredit what was said and then debate the scenario instead of the principle. One of the theologians you mentioned earlier was in Africa a few years ago and his wife ended up dying as a result of an auto accident. I'm not saying that God was angry with her when that happened or even that God directly did that to her. But I am saying that her susceptibility to such things, like all of us, is a direct result of divine judgment against sin, both Adam's and our own. It is a false choice to say that my position is either that God killed her in present wrath - or it was just a "product" of sin with no aspect of God's divine judgement.

Here's another example. You can say that God cannot act purely in mercy towards us if he demands payment for sin. But he can. His sending his own son to atone for our sins is the act of pure mercy we are talking about. He indeed is acting towards us in pure, free grace and yet he has revealed that is cost him plenty in that he did not even spare his own son. But you can't seem to hold both thoughts at the same time and instead look at that as a contradiction.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hold on.....you are making up strange things here.

Nice try to shift the argument to a minor point but it will not work.

Who would say that God cannot act purely in mercy towards us if he demands payment for sin??? I doubt anybody. God could demand payment for sin and still act in pure mercy towards us.

He cannot forgive sins for which He has demanded payment because that is contradictory (like God making a square circle).

Your previous argument was that death is not produced by sin (if I recall, you even denied that saying it wasn't like a chemical reaction.....but that could have been another member).

But let's look at your argument again....granting that physical death is BOTH divine punishment and produced by sin.

You still make the Atonement a joint effort between God and man. Jesus is our substitute for a part of God's punishment, suffering half of the sentence. We, however, suffer the other part of our punishment.

We are partly forgiven, partly punished.

18. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon. These aren't strange things. They are classic arguments that any student of theology should recognize. Anyone should know that they wrestle with these issues in their own lives even if they aren't interested in theology.
    This very argument is expressed by Owen in "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ". And the answer is what I gave. God most certainly can - but the payment is made by someone else. If you admit that it destroys your attack on substitution.
    Once again, your bizarre interpretation of scripture makes demands that don't exist. Why would you think that God providing an atonement that saves us from eternal damnation, promises eternal life and fellowship with God, takes away all our sin, and allows us to actually unite with Christ is somehow insufficient if there remains any consequence of our sin in the realities of our earthly lives? Scripture clearly teaches the inevitability of physical death, disease, injury at the hands of violent people, even injury at the hands of God if we persist in disobedience in any area. Not to mention the lives of labor and stress, seeing everything fall apart and degrade, seeing the vanity of all our earthly pursuits, watching ourselves and our loved ones suffer - all this is the result of God's decree at the time of the fall and in fairness to Adam, is validated by the sin in our own individual lives. Once again, you have made up a scenario in your own mind that you deem unfair rather that just going by the massive information to the contrary in God's word.

I would suggest that you, when you get time, go back and read Owen on this. He is known for his argument for particular atonement but the beauty in his work is in explaining what the atonement is. I'm not saying this as if he is the last word but only to suggest that if you want a clear explanation of the penal and substitutionary aspects of atonement, along with all the scripture references in one place you can do no better.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You misunderstood what I was saying.

I was saying that you suggesting people believe that God cannot act purely in mercy towards us if he demands payment for sin is strange.

You are making that up to try and make some type of argument.

I know that you do not believe the conclusion of your theory. But it is there nonetheless.

You first rejected my comment that sin produces death, insisting death is divine judgment. When I pointed out that we still die you shifted to death being the consequence of sin AND divine judgment against sin.

That means that God's judgment, insofar as physical death, is benign. Man sinned, which produced death, and God "punished" man with the death that was already inevitable.

Then Christ took that punishment instead of us....but we still suffer it anyway because the poison is already in our veins.

You have made Jesus into a partial Savior and Divine Judgment as partially benign.

@canadyjd avoids this mistake by insisting that divine judgment is that punishment God exercises at Judgment. You could improve on your theory by considering his position.

But as it stands, the theory you post presents the Father as less than honest in judgment and Christ as less than Savior in redemption.

I don't think you have worked this out the best you can.

20. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is not your or Arthur's belief and one of your arguments against penal substitution then it does not apply to you and I don't want to try to pin that on you. But it is not strange. It is one of the arguments raised by those who oppose penal substitutionary atonement and Owen, in his work, states that argument and refutes it. But if you are not going to make that argument then I withdraw it as pertaining to our discussion.
    Sin produces death indeed but not as a natural process, or like a chemical reaction or a logical consequence. It produces death because God decreed that it would be so. He did that as a response to the rebellion of Adam and Eve after he had warned them exactly what would happen. God's response and reaction to open rebellion and sin also involves "wrath" so I surmise that this was also involved in the pronouncement upon Adam and Eve. There is a difference between me saying that if you try to cross that lake the ice is too thin and you will break through and you will die and me saying directly to you as your sovereign "I am pronouncing death upon you if you try to cross that lake". I don't know why you are stuck on this but if you don't see the difference I can't help you. So yes, as in your quote, make the AND all caps.
    I don't know where you come up with this stuff. "Oh grave, where is thy victory, Oh death, where is thy sting". This is said at all funerals because it is a true promise. But the funerals still happen. We still suffer many of the effects of the fall and yes, all those effects are part of God's judgement. Reams have been written about why we live out a life in these bodies that must die and why we suffer. Now concerning judgement, God expresses some wrath against sin at various times but withholds the final judgement until his chosen time. Reams are written on why this is happening also.
    Divine judgement is indeed partially, even mostly withheld or postponed. But the idea that we all die physically as being divine judgement and not being eliminated at the cross is an unavoidable reality because it it observed and it is clearly stated in scripture. We will all die physically, even Christians, because it is appointed to us to do so. But our relationship to death has been changed. Now it is a gateway to everlasting life, and a new spiritual body and perfect fellowship with Christ instead of a bleak abyss with at best nothing beyond and at worst, hell. So an atonement that provides that makes Jesus a partial savior?