1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Update on bicycle accident case..

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 10-12 years ago, a guy I was working with (a Mormon) and I would discuss religion and theology. One day he came in and shared with us that he'd gotten a ticket that morning for doing 70 in a 55. Asked him how much the fine was; he said it didn't matter, he was going to fight it and get out of the ticket. Asked him if he had actually been speeding; he admitted that yes, he was. Asked him why he was going to try to get out of the ticket; he just didn't want to pay it. We didn't have too many talks about religion or theology after that.

So Evangelist went before the judge, the judge found him guilty, but waived the fine. Sounds to me like the event's over.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds to me like the event's over.

That's correct. End of subject.

One who takes exception to another always relies upon language such as, "You" did this; "You" did that; "He" said; "He" did; "He" admitted, etc.

The guy has already been before 'da judge. If the resulting verdict is inappropriate then one needs to take it up with the judge. Not criticize the one who was judged.

In keeping with the intent and purpose of our Constitution and spirit of the law, benefit of the doubt is to be afforded to the citizen. It's really that simple.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I did not know this was the law. I have ridden a bike all my life and have ridden on the sidewalk dozens of times and ridden against traffic dozens of times. Once I took a walking class and they told us to walk against traffic. However as I told the judge I will never ride a bike on that road again as its not safe. I used common sense in this case. That road is perhaps the worst I have ever drove a bike on. However in December/January I did bike on Highway 1 and biked on the sidewalk like all other bikers that I saw.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Walking you walk against traffic but when you are on wheels you are considered a vehicle and must obey all of the road laws including stop signs and lights.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From you initial post from the accident, it sounded like you were fully aware of the law.....

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is a walking class?

7. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is a walking class?

Folks like me are considered in the walking class.

Those most refined, polished, and sanitized by the Word of God who believe themselves to float along, are a notch above the walking class.

...you know, like the Penguin in the Movie, Blues Brothers? :laugh:

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

When I lived in Ohio it was not only legal to ride facing oncoming traffic, it was advised in some areas for safety reasons.

I think a lot of this depends on where one lives and how the roads and such are designed.

It's probably also quite possible for traffic density to change, areas to build up or become more deserted, and change the safety of the area for bicyclists. Changing the laws are not high priority, so I can see how it could happen that an area might become unsafe to follow the written laws in.

I don't know if it has changed, but Ohio didn't consider a bicycle to be a vehicle. There were some motorized vehicles that weren't considered such, so you would occasionally see someone with too many DUI's driving a small piece of farm machinery around because it wasn't considered a vehicle. One father used to come pick up his kiddo for visitation this way after he lost his license for a time for DUI's. That was pretty crazy to see!

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah no question the written laws are unsafe for bicycles on the road where I had the accident. The accident was very very minor compared to accident by a driver behind me if I had ridden with traffic. I have yet to see a bicycle rider on that road, and even the judge agreed that it is not wise to ride a bike on that road.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is crazy! So if someone is pulling out of a street to make a right turn, they may not see you and hit you! I'd never travel against traffic! Scary stuff!

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

1 Cor. 14:38 KJV.