1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is a legalist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 3, 2017.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have never thought of the peeping ability gained with patent leather shoes, nor would I imagine the length of a necklace chain as being immodest.

Were there any similar restrictions on men's clothing?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When i was in the AOG, hada couple from the deep south movejhere to Mi, they were aghast that the teens were allowed to mix bathe, but were OK with smoking cigars and chewing tobacco...

3. CertainSound

CertainSound New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Men couldn't wear shorts, go without shirts or preach in a Hawaiian shirt or preach without suit and tie.

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men couldn't wear shorts, ever? Or men couldn't wear shorts to church?

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Men couldn't go topless until the mid 30's in the US. So perhaps it's conflicting cultures within the larger culture.

6. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my view, Paul did a good job of addressing this question in Romans. First, he stated that we are either under the law (Adam) or we are under grace (Christ). The first covenant was completely replaced by the second covenant. We can obtain salvation and a better life on earth (not necessarily a more affluent one) by grace through faith in what Christ provided for us on the cross, his death and bodily resurrection. He fully met the requirement to reconcile man to God which was necessary after the fall. He beautifully stated this in one of my favorite verses:
    Jhn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

But Jesus never talked about just believing on Him. He talked about following him. We are NOT saved by good works but are saved FOR good works. For the born-again Christian this is not a duty but a joy! But even for the genuine Christian there is another serious consideration. All that we do for the Kingdom must be for the glory of God and He does get glory when we in following Jesus begin to live more and more like Him. IF we do good works for our own glory e.g. I'm a deacon and look at all the people I've lead to Christ, that is of filthy rags to God. To Him be the glory great things He has done as the great old hymn says.

Many things cited by legalists like not drinking a glass of wine are not a problem unless we are in the company of someone that would suffer harm by us doing that. So having a glass of wine with a recovering alcoholic is not acceptable because that might cause your brother to slip back into alcoholism. Many times legalists like to point at the sins of another person or group and say like the Pharisees "thank God I am not like that person over there who drinks or is on the street without a job" while ignoring their own sins. As the Bible says we must:

Mat 7:5
    Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Hypocrisy is the one thing that really angered Christ. he could work with prostitutes or tax collectors and loved to walk with and teach His disciples but just couldn't stand the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees.

This is an important topic and could be discussed in much more depth but I think this summarizes my understanding on it.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would a man want to wear shorts? Tell you what, my knees are too ugly to inflict on the surrounding world. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the difference is akin to John Rice vs. Bob Jones Jr. We are to be separate from the world and obedient to the Word, not become pharisees.

I think it is more a matter of there being some who approach Scripture legalistically. It is not necessarily what rules are truly founded in Scripture and what rules are not, but instead an issue of interpreting Scripture and the commands to which we are to be obedient as "the law" rather than descriptive of Kingdom people. We are obedient because we love God, not in order to love God. I believe the latter is legalism.

#48 JonC, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like this description.

Monroe Parker used to make the point that we are separated to God more so than being separated from the world. In other words, as we follow the Lord and learn more of His holiness, the corrupt things of the world will pass away. So, for example, filth on the Internet will repel someone who is walking with the Lord. He or she won't even need to make a "rule" per se. It's okay to tell a congregation, "I don't do that," but the rationale has to be, "Because I'm busy walking with the Lord," not, "Because I want to be righteous."

In other words, loving the world and loving God cannot exist in the same person. 1 John 2:15--"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like BJU or at least the BJU when I was there.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To go swimming? To open air preach?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was looking for the reasons that legalists would give to prohibit men from wearing shorts. Was is immodesty? Worried because it might create lustful thoughts among the ladies?

• Like Like x 1
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were I personally to insist on this standard, it would probably be in fairness to the ladies who might be prohibited from wearing shorts due to the modesty passages. (My wife has wonderful knees, which I selfishly wish her to display to no one but me--with which she agrees. ;))
    Not these ugly knees for sure! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds of when there were certain older ladies in my former church who liked to tell me as an Elder about a fellow Elder caught smoking, wondering ehy the saw me in line for movies, and I asked them what was worse, those acts or their gossiping?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, don't you know? Shorts lead to Speedos, and Speedos lead to men thongs. The last thing this world needs is a bunch of fundamentalists wearing men thongs. (Present company excluded, of course).

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh help! :Frown How can I delete this image from my brain?!? :confused:

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [so sorry I chimed in on example of "legalism" after salvation. disturbing images and THANKFUL no pix]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rlee

Rlee Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could not agree more with your list. I'll never forget the first time I saw this attitude passed down from a church hierarchy to the youth. I was a visitor at a church/school that is quite well known for this in my area. It was youth Sunday and many parents who send their children to this church/school rarely darken the doorway and are there to see their child participate. A sixteen year old boy takes the pulpit and in less than 10 minutes begins throwing out everything he's been indoctrinated with while attending there, specifically, women wearing pants. At that moment, a woman wearing a very nice pantsuit that I was somewhat acquainted with, rose and exited. He "preached" her out the door. My guess is she was never going to enter another church. I was personally hurt by this but not surprised. This attitude, mindset, or lifestyle, is damaging. It wreaks from lack of Christian love and sincerity. I could go on, but it continues to eat at me as it's a very personal issue I deal with in some family members and I don't wish to appear hateful.

19. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

A legalist. A person who asks after you say grace if your feet were washed before grace. And no, he does not ask if he can wash them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what if the preacher is a Native Hawaiian - and has not business suits!