• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is in the wrong?

Hi I have a problem. My wife and I live down this long drive way and she was leaving out of it. We have a neighbor who shares the same drive way and my wife ran over there dog. She did not mean to! See did not even see it. Our kids told her mommy the dog is laying in the drive way so she stopped on the road from the drive way to see and saw the neighbor come out to call her dog. She turned around and came back to see and the dog was dead. My wife gave a apology and keep saying sorry. Well her husband came out cursing my wife using Gods name in vain and my wife told him that she would not stay while he's cussing her out so she left. Know they are talking law suite on us. what do you think we should do. Who is in the wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

luke1616

New Member
She admitted it and said she was sorry. If she left because he was cussing her out, that is not "leaving the scene". Let them drag you to court, admit it. Give grace. You will prevail. In a day or two, tell them again you regret what happened but it was unintentional. Love overcomes.
 

abcgrad94

Active Member
In our area, there is an ordinance for dogs. They must be on a leash or confined within a fence if outside.

Your wife did the right thing to apologize for the accident. It's very sad, but when people let their dogs run at large, accidents are bound to happen. They should have taken better care of the dog.

I wouldn't worry about the lawsuit if your area has a dog ordinance. If they don't, talk to the sheriff's office and see what they say. Usually if you are in a vehicle, you aren't supposed to swerve for an animal because it could cause a car accident and harm the humans. If in doubt, the animal gets it, not the people!

So sorry this happened to her. This year was the first time I ever hit and killed an animal. It was a chipmunk and I was upset for a week. I can't imagine if it had been a pet.
 

blackbird

Active Member
In my tenure as a "careful" driver I have hit many 'a dog in my day! A few even my own

I would apologize to the lady for the accident

If they want to drag me to court----well---its their money and I'm sure there are lawyers out there who would love to get their greedy paws on it----but I wouldn't hire a lawyer in my own behalf--------I'd just let their lawyer bleed their finances and I would defend myself---it would be an easy enough case to stand in my own defense

After I've won the case---I would then make plans to do something about the driveway I share with them
 

freeatlast

New Member
Hi I have a problem. My wife and I live down this long drive way and she was leaving out of it. We have a neighbor who shares the same drive way and my wife ran over there dog. She did not mean to! See did not even see it. Our kids told her mommy the dog is laying in the drive way so she stopped on the road from the drive way to see and saw the neighbor come out to call her dog. She turned around and came back to see and the dog was dead. My wife gave a apology and keep saying sorry. Well her husband came out cursing my wife using Gods name in vain and my wife told him that she would not stay while he's cussing her out so she left. Know they are talking law suite on us. what do you think we should do. Who is in the wrong?

charles_creech78
it is there responsibility to keep their animal penned. Most states have leash laws. Evidently the dog was not on a leash or confined. I would send a copy of a certified letter to them stating that you regret what happened, but it was an accident and your wife did not see the dog. if they want to take it to small claims court they will lose unless they can prove that she did it deliberately or willful carelessness.
 

annsni

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
It is their fault for not controlling their dog, plain and simple. It's called an "accident" for a reason and that's just what it was.

What county or town do you live in? Have you checked the local ordinances?
 
It is their fault for not controlling their dog, plain and simple. It's called an "accident" for a reason and that's just what it was.

What county or town do you live in? Have you checked the local ordinances?

Well they made me and my wife feel bad about it and they made it seem like it was our fault. It said on the ordinance that the pet that roams free at night without a leash are in violation of leash law of North Carolina. But if you are not watching your dog while it is roaming during the day then you are at fault if it does anything. She was not outside with the dog watching it! The dog ran under the van tire. My wife said she was going about 5m which is not that fast. The van is a mini van but big enough. There dog was a Boston terrier puppy and they said it was a show dog. I told my wife who in there right mind will let a show dog roam without a leash. The Lord will take care of it.
 

annsni

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
You'll be fine. Neighbors are angry and need to take their anger out on someone so it will be you.
 
Was the dog warm? Did the wife actually hit it? Just askin
No one seen her hit it! My kids looked out the back window and told mommy the dog was laying in the drive way. My wife turned around and went back to see if the dog was alright the owner was not even out there. She came to the door to call her dog in and the dog was dead. You can tell it ran under the tire. We live down a back road. There are a lot of pumps and sink holes in it. Where the dog was laying was by a sick hole. I guess that is the reason she could not feel running over the dog. The dog ran under the right front tire.
 

annsni

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
No one seen her hit it! My kids looked out the back window and told mommy the dog was laying in the drive way. My wife turned around and went back to see if the dog was alright the owner was not even out there. She came to the door to call her dog in and the dog was dead. You can tell it ran under the tire. We live down a back road. There are a lot of pumps and sink holes in it. Where the dog was laying was by a sick hole. I guess that is the reason she could not feel running over the dog. The dog ran under the right front tire.

So could it be that the dog was already dead and your wife ran over it's body? I think that's what excsentric is getting at.
 

blackbird

Active Member
No one seen her hit it!

You can tell it ran under the tire.

We live down a back road.

The dog ran under the right front tire.

(Blackbird in his best Steve McGarrett impersonation)

Lets get this straight-------you say the dog in question ran under the tire??

And that you live down a back road???

And that the dog in question ran under the right front tire??

Do I have this right??

You did it, didn't cha???

The dog ran right under the tire, didn't it??

In plane daylight, wasn't it???

There's a place we send folks who do that????

You want to know where it is????

BOOK 'IM, DAN-OH!!!!! MURDER ONE!!!!!


:laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
Top