I believe that Widespread Biblical Illiteracy is the primary cause of the fake religions, backsliding, and work-based "salvation" being seen today in our world.
I have been fighting for years to teach people to read and study the Bible itself. (NOT WHAT SOMEONE SAYS THE BIBLE IS SAYING) I find more and more that we want to pull out a book written by men to see what God is saying. Then we set up our little popes(i.e., I like so and so; he is so godly).
The Sunday School materials teach platitudes. Much of the material uses little or no scripture to teach a "moral application." Our pastors give sermonettes for all the little christianettes. Many of them shy away from using scripture because they are afraid it will offend or be too difficult to understand.
When I went to school (seminary), I saw men who went to learn what to believe. Many of these had spent 20 or 30 years in the local church and still had no idea what to believe because no one showed them how to use the Bible. They were not learning HOW to teach others because they first had to be taught what to believe. They could not, for the most part, explain why they should believe that particular thing. They could maybe tell others what to bleive but had never been taught to figure it out themselves and so had to be "spoonfed". This is entirely due to the lack of biblical teaching in most churches today. This is biblical illiteracy. The teachers need to be taught!!! We must return to the Bible itself for our teaching authority---not the commentaries of Sunday School material, or what the preacher/teacher said.
The only authorty for the True Christian is the Bible.
2Tim3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Saint John
I have been fighting for years to teach people to read and study the Bible itself. (NOT WHAT SOMEONE SAYS THE BIBLE IS SAYING) I find more and more that we want to pull out a book written by men to see what God is saying. Then we set up our little popes(i.e., I like so and so; he is so godly).
The Sunday School materials teach platitudes. Much of the material uses little or no scripture to teach a "moral application." Our pastors give sermonettes for all the little christianettes. Many of them shy away from using scripture because they are afraid it will offend or be too difficult to understand.
When I went to school (seminary), I saw men who went to learn what to believe. Many of these had spent 20 or 30 years in the local church and still had no idea what to believe because no one showed them how to use the Bible. They were not learning HOW to teach others because they first had to be taught what to believe. They could not, for the most part, explain why they should believe that particular thing. They could maybe tell others what to bleive but had never been taught to figure it out themselves and so had to be "spoonfed". This is entirely due to the lack of biblical teaching in most churches today. This is biblical illiteracy. The teachers need to be taught!!! We must return to the Bible itself for our teaching authority---not the commentaries of Sunday School material, or what the preacher/teacher said.
The only authorty for the True Christian is the Bible.
2Tim3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.