1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Will Trump announce a run for office ?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says that Trump will be the nominee?
    There are plenty of R's that may run.
    Will be a very interesting R primary!

Now these question:

Will Biden run again
    Who will run against Biden for the D nomination! and how well they may do
    What 3rd parties will be a factor in the '24 election
    If Trump does not win the R - will he run on a third party
    and finally would would be Trumps running mate

In 2020 - there were at least 8 "major" minor parties

These "minor" parties scored over 2.5 million votes!

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless Biden has a major health issue or obvious decline more than is evident now, He will run. I don’t think he will have a serious challenge.

If Biden doesn’t run, or has obvious decline, Sec of trans Butigigig will run but fail. VP Harris will run but fail. Sen Clobashaw (sp) will run and get some support. Sen Warren and Sen Sanders will run and get some support. O’Rouke will run but will be quickly laughed off the stage. Gov Newsim will run and win Cal, NY and Illinois in the primaries but no nation wade appeal.

Personally, I expect a new dem to come on the scene articulating a “common sense” moderate approach that will capture the imagination of the Dem party.

No third party will be viable until they have a clear platform and are on the ballot in every election in every state from POTUS to dig catcher.

Trump will not run third party if he loses. I am hopeful, if he loses, that he will show enough class to support the nominee and encourage his supporters to do so as well.

Hard to say who would be Trump’s running mate if he wins. It depends on how brutal the primary is and how insulting he is to the others.

DeSantis is young and has plenty of time. He might not want to be tied to Trump.

peace to you

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that currently no third party would have a major inpact - execpt that they could be a spoiler in a state/commonwealth or two.

That would be something a candidate looses a S/C because of a third party - and with the EC so close - loose the election!

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say "equally evil".

The DNC platform is the sins of Romans 3. The DNC wears its evil on the surface.

The GOP platform has a form of godliness (as a platform, denying the power of the gospel but its secular so that's a given). The GOP platform mimics Christian values in several ways. This form of evil is like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The DNC is to the nation what the GOP is to churches.

I'm not sure which one would call the greater evil and the less evil. To me it doesn't matter. I've never bought into the "support the lesser of two evils" argument as either way evil is evil. The guy who rapes one person may not be as evil as a mass murderer, but neither would get my support. When faced with two evils, I prefer to support neither (not even the "lesser evil").

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning repubs having a “form of godliness” that mimics Christianity and is also evil… I disagree.

We do not live in a theocracy. Christians cannot force Christianity on non-believers. That has been tried throughout history and resulted in inquisitions and major abuse of power.

That some politicians actually support some Christian principles is a good thing, not evil.

Additionally, we must be careful in assigning God’s favor or God’s support to political ideology, even if there seems to be some level of support in scripture.

Peace to you

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree (depending on the candidate).

Suppose Trump does run, but as an Independent because the GOP nominates another.

Trump could easily pact the
    I agree we do not live in a theocracy. Secular politics is a power of this world.

I'm not talking about politicians. There are Christian politicians in both partys.

I'm talking about the DNC and the GOP.

What I mean is there are areas where the GOP platform looks like Christian values (abortion is one of these).

Churches have become political (granted, favoring both partys). But many conservative churches seem to have lent their voice to the GOP. The idea is akin to common values rather than Christ is the common thread, and there is a misunderstanding that there is a common goal between the GOP and churches. There isn't.

The GOP and Christians do support common values, but the actual goal is different. The former seeks its own power while the latter seeks to make disciples of Christ.

Worldly powers will always be opposed to God, whether the DNC or the GOP. There is no way around this. Being against abortion, for example, is not the same as being for Christ.

What harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?

7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump has already lost the independents. If he wins the nomination the Democrats will hit him with a never-ending attack revolving around January 6th. The truth of that event is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what the lemmings, who are the American electorate, believe. I am of the opinion that no Republican will win in 2024.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank for clarifying. I think I agree for the most part.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no clue how adopting Christian values is evil. The Republican party is going to govern a government. We are not a theocracy.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is evil because it is divorced from Christ.

Most atheists hold Christian values. Many believe theft, murder, adultery, drunkenness, etc. is wrong. Muslims hold most of the same values we hold. So do Mormons.

Scripture even tells us of people having a form of godliness but denying the power therein. God does not tell us to partner with these because of common interest but to turn from them.

You see, it is not values that save. And it is not values that will change the world.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you did. But you are right in that you were wrong to say it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Government is not about spreading the Gospel but about maintaining law & order, punishing the wrongdoer, per given standards (see Rom 13:3-5).

Someone is going to determine those standards, set those standards, impose those standards.

The danger for Christians, the Church, is at least twofold:
    1. imagining that government should be left to ignorantly impose anti-Gospel standards on Christians, the Church;
    2. imagining that Christians, the Church, should attempt to impose Gospel standards on even non-Christians.
    Not only can Christians inform government of the right standards by which God holds rulers accountable, it is the duty of the Church to do so. The Church owes this to society as a whole.

But the Church is charged with preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for the real need of all is the forgiveness of sin and the gift of salvation that can only come by His shed blood. Secular government is neither charged with this nor could it achieve it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol....you're right. I was thinking that they were equally evil in that one is no better than the other. But they are not the same evil.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you said " equally evil". Post 15. Dont use your ninja mod skills and edit it.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh.....posting without reading the thread?

I said that I said "equally". I also explained that I meant equally evil - NOT equal evils.

In other words, whatever you believe to be the lesser of two evils is still evil.

Illustration- which would you prefer to be, a thief or a murderer? While theft may be considered a lesser evil (not an equal evil) it is equally an evil (theft and murder are both evils).

What harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this may be true, but if the Republicans can distance themselves from Trump (and Trump can refrain from being involved) then perhaps they may have a chance.

I like Trump. But with politics all he can do at this time is guarantee a Dem win. He is probably why there was no "red wave".

17. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    “The lesser of two evils” choice is inherent and inescapable in our imperfect world, even within and among churches.

A famous pastor recently noted that he still wrestles with the flesh and fails. He added that, if he denied it, his wife would be ready to “stand and testify.” Still, I would still prefer him over some other pastors I can think of, that is, he would be my lesser of two evils choice.

In fact, there is at least one famous Gospel preacher who would have us engulfed by CRT influence. I would choose Trump over him as president of the USA, though I would prefer him over Trump when it comes to preaching the Gospel.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean Christians will choose evil at times, then I agree. We do wrestle with the flesh.

But if you mean it is necessary that we choose evil then I disagree.

We should do our best not to choose evil and repent when we fail.

Choosing a pastor who is imperfect isn't choosing evil. Choosing to unite with evil for what one believes is a common cause, however, may be.

19. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've obviously had wildly different experiences regarding churches. :Wink

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. I can't tell be our conversation. But I will say that I was never in a position to support an evil pastor.

I think the difference in our replies is that you are looking at evil as being actions (sins a Chriatian may commit). I am looking at it as ontological.

The Christian pastor may stumble. However, the man himself is not evil but reborn and has the right to be called a "child of God".

An evil may do an action that is not in itself evil (an evil man may love his child, care for his child...or a worldly power may have an agenda to end abortion).