• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women are Not to Teach or Usurp Authority...

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
I do not think Kai sees women as less than men when it comes to the gospel message.

The Word of God sees women as different from men when it comes to pastoring and preaching to the congregation of an assembled church.

For men to be the only gender qualified to be pastors does not mean women are inferior to men. It is a matter of proper roles.

For some reason, God wants pastors to be male, not female. Scholars have linked this preference to Eve being deceived by the serpent and women being the weaker gender.

As I stated previously, sitting under the preaching of a female pastor was uncomfortable for me. My spirit was troubled by it.

I will not condemn Beth Moore, Ann Graham Lotz, or other female preachers. But I will not attend or join any church where a woman is pastor. I attended a church briefly where lesbian deacons sometimes preached from the pulpit. It was a “reformed”, woke, “federated” Presbyterian / United Church of Christ church.

I understand your position I just trust God to put the right people, male or female, in the various offices where they can best serve the kingdom. Be that washing dishes being an elder, deacon or even pastor.

I would not attend a church pastored by a man or woman that held to liberal views. If they do not preach the word of God then it is not a church for me.
 

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
@Silverhair, I hope you can at least agree that Paula White is someone who is not qualified to be a pastor/elder, and I don't say that just because she's a woman. ;)
I really do not know anything about her so cannot pass judgement.

What I will say is that I would not attend any church whether pastored by a man or woman that did not preach the word of God.

I find to many "christians" are willing to accept the liberal views being spread as they want to be loving and not offend anyone.

What I also find is that to many male pastors are willing to look the other way when they know there is sin in the church. They want to cover it up lest it make their church look bad.
 

Kai

Member
You see that in scripture whereas I see that women can fill any position that God chooses to put them in.

That's where we disagree. My view is informed by Scripture, and yours is apparently informed by what our culture has accepted as the norm.

One thing you have to consider is that when Phoebe carried that letter to Rome she would most likely have read it out and instructed the church as to what Paul meant by what he had written.

That is just an assumption. All Scripture reveals to us is that she delivered the letter to the Romans and doesn't tell us what happened after the fact.
 

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
That's where we disagree. My view is informed by Scripture, and yours is apparently informed by what our culture has accepted as the norm.
We can both claim our positions are informed by scripture.

That is just an assumption. All Scripture reveals to us is that she delivered the letter to the Romans and doesn't tell us what happened after the fact.

I agree it is an assumption but it is a logical one. When you consider how Paul's letter has been misunderstood by both bible scholars and lay people then it is a reasonable conclusion to see Phoebe teaching and correcting any misunderstandings that may have come up in the Roman church. She would have been the only source of firsthand information, do you think those in Rome would not have questioned her on it?
 

Kai

Member
When you consider how Paul's letter has been misunderstood by both bible scholars and lay people then it is a reasonable conclusion to see Phoebe teaching and correcting any misunderstandings that may have come up in the Roman church.

She also could have passed it along to the appropriate church authorities so they could teach their people directly. That's another logical explanation.
 
Top