• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women Pastors?

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
Hi @Silverhair. I thought I'd comment on your post below in the appropriate thread.

You said:


I believe the role of women in the Bible are clearly laid out for us. They certainly can teach younger women and children biblical truths and even lost men what the Gospel message is all about. But serving as a pastor/elder is a role reserved for men, and it comes with a different set of responsibilities, including having the flock submit themselves under their authority.

As a divorced man, I believe that I too am disqualified from holding a position as an elder. It doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it, and it doesn't mean that there aren't other the roles of great importance that I can serve, but I do need to submit to what the word of God says.

I understand what you are saying but I do think that our God can and does use those that have made themselves available. The woman under consideration has been at that church for a number of years and if some man had come along she may well have given him the position but none did.

It seems that many are taking Paul's admonition against women preachers as if it came from God but read his words again. He does not say God forbids it but rather that he does.

The word of God says we are to preach the word of God it does not say that only some are to do it. You and I are as called to preach the gospel message as anyone else and that includes women.
 

Kai

New Member
The woman under consideration has been at that church for a number of years and if some man had come along she may well have given him the position but none did.

Do you think it's her responsibility to diligently seek out a replacement instead of waiting for one to come along some day?

You and I are as called to preach the gospel message as anyone else and that includes women.

Agreed. Men, women, Jews, and Gentiles are called to preach the Gospel message to everybody. But as I mentioned, one of the core duties specific to a pastor is that they are to be in a position of authority over the flock that they are shepherding. The only examples that can be found in Scripture are men, not women, having this responsibility.
 

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
Do you think it's her responsibility to diligently seek out a replacement instead of waiting for one to come along some day?
Do you not think God put her in that position? The church was obviously growing as after 5 years she could now take a salary.

Reverse your question, where were the men that you say should have been doing the preaching? Why did they not step up and step in?

By the logic I see from some on here it would be better for people to be lost than have a woman teach them of Christ Jesus.
Agreed. Men, women, Jews, and Gentiles are called to preach the Gospel message to everybody. But as I mentioned, one of the core duties specific to a pastor is that they are to be in a position of authority over the flock that they are shepherding. The only examples that can be found in Scripture are men, not women, having this responsibility

In the culture of Paul's time women were less than second class. But in the church we are all equal and the gifts that we have are given by the Holy Spirit. Who are we to judge another's servant.
 

Kai

New Member
By the logic I see from some on here it would be better for people to be lost than have a woman teach them of Christ Jesus.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Women should teach others about Jesus, but being a pastor is more than just that, especially when things like church discipline come into play.

In the culture of Paul's time women were less than second class. But in the church we are all equal and the gifts that we have are given by the Holy Spirit. Who are we to judge another's servant.

The culture of that day is irrelevant since Paul appeals to the hierarchy of authority in creation. Jesus is the head of the man, the man is the head of the woman, and the man and woman are the head of their children.

Remember, it was man who was cursed to labor over the fruit of the ground. There's a reason why it is men who have some of the most physically demanding and emotionally draining jobs in the world, and I would put being a pastor in that category. In some ways, I think women are blessed not having to bear that burden.
 

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Women should teach others about Jesus, but being a pastor is more than just that, especially when things like church discipline come into play.
I trust that God knew what He was doing when He called her to preach the gospel message at this time and place.

If she were preaching a false gospel I would have a real problem with her just as I would have it with a man doing the same.

The culture of that day is irrelevant since Paul appeals to the hierarchy of authority in creation. Jesus is the head of the man, the man is the head of the woman, and the man and woman are the head of their children.

I understand the hierarchy found in creation but if as you say women can teach others then women can also make sound judgements.

If a man is available then I have no problem with hm being in charge but when a man will not step up and a competent women will then I would rather have her teach then have the gospel not presented. If the men a so upset that a women is doing what they consider to be their role then step into the position rather than just complain about it.

We see in scripture where God has used women to lead when men were not willing or competent.
 

Kai

New Member
We see in scripture where God has used women to lead when men were not willing or competent.

What if the congregation identified a qualified man who would be willing to take over, and when confronted about stepping down, she refused? Would you have a problem with her then?
 

Silverhair

Well-Known Member
What if the congregation identified a qualified man who would be willing to take over, and when confronted about stepping down, she refused? Would you have a problem with her then?

But as we see from the article no man was willing to step up.

That would depend upon what the man's theology was.

Example: If she were an Arminian and the person that stepped forward was going to teach a Calvinist view then I could see her saying no as that would cause unnecessary confusion within the congregation and could lead to a church split.
 
Top