1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would Jesus accept an honorary doctorate?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Paul33, Feb 11, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yes, gb93433, there certainly are! I've met a couple which is what brought that little scenario to mind *sigh*

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No, I second the motion. Can you spell 'H-o-b-b-y h-o-r-s-e'?

(Not a)Dr. Mexdeaf

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Mexdeaf,

I'll ask you the same question. Do you have an honorary doctorate? Does your pastor?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Degrees are a man made institution, as is accreditation, and the like. I have seen people who have 4 year and 6 year regionally accredited degrees that do not have the sense to get out of the rain and couldnt teach a Sunday School class if their life depended on it. I have also seen people with a high school education who were great Sunday School teachers. I have seen people with on line internet degrees like mentioned above that fell into both catagories. The point is, if you have a ministry, is it ordained of God, and are you to the best of your ability studying the Word to accomplish His purposes. To me, the titles, degrees, etc, are pretty much man made nonsense.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No and don't know respectively.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think the idea is that an individual may have, over the period of say 30, 40 years or so of his life, through his studies, writing books, seromons, articles and teaching others could earn the equivilent of a doctorate. Agree? </font>[/QUOTE]If that was the case all the time I would be ok with it I guess. However, that is not the case. Honorary doctorates are given for a variety of reasons and faithful study over a lifetime is sadly not the main reason.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

PastorSBC,

Agreed. I would have no problem with honorary degrees being awarded to men of distinction who have served well over a lifetime.

8. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

I use to have my honorary degree in my sig but I dont now. I use it in formal letters and such. It can cause pride to be an issue and it was with me and it took God humbling me to make me realize I am nothing and no title will make me any better than anyone else. Only by His grace and mercy am I saved and without him I am nothing sometimes we forget this. Just realized I posted in baptist only my apologize still the above is true.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This silly story comes up so often in this context. Once again I'm obliged to set the record straight. The horse's name was "Mac," short for the full name of this wonderful full-blooded Tennessee Walking Horse, "General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur III. The "honorary doctorate" awarded was the "Doctor of Horse Sense," actually quite tongue-in-cheek and irrelevant to this discussion. [​IMG]

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Maybe Jack knew how foolish all this honarary doctorate stuff was! [​IMG]

11. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I was sitting in Dr. Paige Patterson's office one day. I had just resigned from my first church before they fired me. He was giving me some encouragement. I had come back to school with more problems and even more broke than when I took the church pastorate.
    I didn't really have the money to finish school at the time with kids and all. We were talking about the importance of schooling, degrees and such.
    It was in this context that he replied:

"Well God doesn't have a degree and he seems to
    get along just fine".

He said that it is just the nature of the beast he said often there is more emphasis put on degrees than there needs to be.

I just thought that was an interesting reply from a man who had spent the bulk of his ministry in christian higher education.

As far as honorary degrees go I think they should never be given to men unless they have had at a minimum of 30ys. in the ministry and a fruitful ministry at that along with a healthy marriage. I think his private life should come into effect as well.
    Only pinheads call themselves Dr. when all they have is a honorary doctrate for about 5min. worth of ministry or because of somebody they know IMHO.

12. Fundamentalist1611

Fundamentalist1611 New Member

Amen.....I strongly agree.

I would never take credit for something that I didn't do or earn. IFB preachers usually are strong on "strong work ethic" and not taking "hand outs" why the change when it comes to "honorary degrees"

I've worked hard for my degree and will for my future ones as well.

13. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I think the better question is ..."would we try to give Jesus and honorayr doctorate"?

14. GLC

GLC New Member

Interesting comments on honorary degrees. This raises a question about earned degrees. Seems to me that any degree program should be designed to make a minister better equipped to preach/teach the Word or carry out his ministry. Using "Dr." in correspondence or press could be a source of pride for anyone. Is there any benefit to using the title even when it is earned?

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

It seems to add credibility with the press, such as on the talk shows.

Paul33, D.Min. flashed up on the screen seems to be the way the press does it.

So in an official capacity in dealing with the press, it seems proper. But in the classroom or pulpit, perhaps Pastor Paul33 or Paul33 is acceptable.