• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A break for fat people...

delly

New Member
I thought we were taking about being fat, not overeating. Yes, overeating is just as bad as over indulging in other things, but all fat people do not overeat. There are many causes of obesity and many of them are medical such as thyroid and heart problems. Even high blood pressure medicine can cause people to gain weight that is not easily lost. Some of you are trying to make it seem that all overweight people got that way by the sin of gluttony and it simply isn't true.
 

donnA

Active Member
Originally posted by Su Wei:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Johnv:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wopik:
[qb] it never was a sin to be fat.

Correct. It is the unrighteously judgemental person who presumes that everyone who's overweight is guilty of gluttony. There are numberous factors that contribute to obesity: physiology, genetics, etc.
</font>[/QUOTE]I hope i don't sound unkind but no one ever got obese by not eating too much. excessive intake of food is still the cause of obeseity, no?
</font>[/QUOTE]Not necesarily.
I've known people with hypothyroidism who ate normal amouts of food and still gained weight. Sometimes there are medical reasons. Some medications cause hugh weight gains.
How does one determine what amount of food is over eating? How do you dtermeine what amount anyone person should eat?
I've known people who ate hugh amounts of food and never gained an ounce. Like this girl I knew when I was a teenager, weighed 97 pounds and ate everything in sight.
 

Preacher Ron

New Member
Fat ! It’s all in the way that you look at it!

My doctor has a chart, and he says that according to my height, I am over weight.

When I read the same chart, I see that according to my weight, I am about 16" to short.

So you see I’m not fat, I’m just to short, for my weight.

But I am what I am by the grace of God!
 

Craigbythesea

Well-Known Member
But I am what I am by the grace of God!
I didn't realize that there were that many calories in grace :eek: . Maybe that is why some pastors like to preach legalism.


wave.gif


sleeping_2.gif
 
A

amixedupmom

Guest
Question, What makes a person fat?

Is it Society?
Is it Holly wood norms?
Fasion Magizine norms?


Is there a verse in the Bible that says "If thou is over ---lbs Thou is sinning?

I really don't think so.

You know, the more I think about this it really gets to me how people can say obesity is "overeating"

what about women who have thyroid issues. Where the thyroid gland has shut down and they gain weight eating lettuce?

Should I STARVE myself to make you happy?

I really don't think so.

Pesonally I am not obese. What I am is Fluffy. I have a few extra lbs from brining my wonderful children into this world. what I have are strechmarks that are a BADGE of honor. I have FAT CELLS which prove i'm a mother.

I have FAT cells which prove that I care more about my KIDS than I do myself.

If i gain another 100 lbs, I do.

I'm comfortable being me. I don't have a food problem. I'm just living.

this is JUST MY HONEST OPINION yours might very -shrugs-

God Bless!

Wendy Lea
 

Johnv

New Member
Originally posted by Lea:
Question, What makes a person fat?
There's not one thing. It's mostly one's overall diet, combined with one's overall physical activity. But those are also subject to one's overall physiology. Each person is different. No two people have an ideal weight.

Heck, I eat right and am physically fit, thanks to regularly visiting a gym. But I've still got about 10lbs that I need to get rid of.
 

Bro. James Reed

New Member
Have of you ever seen those people, especially children, in 3rd world countries who appear to be very fat, but are said to be starving to death?

They have a tape worm. The worm eats all or most of the food that travels into their bodies, causing the worm to become large, but the person is dying. The person will have a very large-looking stomach. At first appearance you would think they eat way too much, but the fact is that they can not eat too much.

They are very overweight to the point of it causing medical problems in them, but it is in no way their fault, and they are not gluttons, but some here would call them sinners nonetheless.

Another thing, have any of you ever been on steroids for a disease? If so, then you can testify to the fact that it makes you gain tremendous amounts of weight.

I have a friend who was bi-polar and was being treated with steroids for several years. He weighed around 300 lbs. When he was taken off of the meds, he lost over 100 lbs. in less than a year. He did not change his eating or excercise habits, he simply was not taking the medicine anymore.

I have seen many people, including my mother, who do not eat all that much and still retain a lot of weight. When your metabloism is slow, it is very hard to lose weight and keep it off.

If she started eating less food, she would starve to death. She barely eats more than my grandmother who weighs 106 soaking wet, yet she vastly outweighs her. (Don't want mom mad at me, so I'll admit that I weigh quite a bit more than she does. :D )

I'll agree that if people ate less they would lose weight, but some people's body chemistry is such that they could eat fewer than the recommended 2,000 cals per day and still retain or even gain more weight. Not everyone's body works the same and fat people often eat less than skinny people.

My cousin is skinny as a rail, but could eat me under the table any day of the week.

Fat, or overweight, does not necessarily mean glutton.

And, even if it did, who defines what weight is normal? It has changed over the years, so would our ancestors be considered gluttons for eating so much lard? Would they be considered fat or skinny by today's standards?

DD, is this the only issue you care about? It seems that this is about the 100th time you've posted a thread about fat pastors.
 
Top