1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Acts 10 - Cornelius - Question

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by LaGrange, Nov 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In I Corinthians, Paul says “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Gaius and Crispus….”

if Baptism truly saves shouldnt Paul want to baptize as many as he could have?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again in I Cor 1:17, Paul days that God did not send him to Baptize, but to preach the Gospel

3. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1 Cor 1:14-15 I give God thanks, that I baptized none of you but Crispus and Caius: 15 Lest any should say that you were baptized in my name.

My Comment: If Paul didn’t believe in Baptism he wouldn’t have even Baptized Gaius and Crispus. The baptized were forming schisms around which minister baptized them. Paul was saying they were all baptized in the NAME OF CHRIST and not in the name of a particular minister. This is implied in 1 Cor 1:13,15. Paul was saying you were not baptized in Paul’s name but Christ’s Name (implied in 1 Cor 1:13).

4. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It suppose it is an antiquated way of saying that Christ sent the apostles to first preach (Mark 3:14), and that was their main task, but also to Baptize (Matt 28:19). Their main vocation was first to preach. It’s not either preaching or baptism but both. It’s not an either/or situation but a both/and one. Paul concentrates on preaching and leaves Baptism to the other ministers. Evangelizing is teaching (teach = Matt 28:19) but Baptism follows.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, Paul is saying it doesn’t really matter who baptizes you, as long as you get baptized, right?

The modern equivalent would be saying “I got baptized in a Baptist church” and so in so “got baptized in a Catholic Church” and so in so #2 got baptized in a Pentecostal Church” and so on.

peace to you

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say he was regenerated when he accepted Peter's words about Jesus.

7. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good question. Actually the Catholic Church accepts water Baptism as legitimate in any denomination as long as the correct Form and Matter is used.

8. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LaGrange,

Isaiah 56:4 For thus sayeth the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and TAKE HOLD OF MY COVENANT.
    Isaiah 56::5 Even unto them will I give in my house and within my walls, a place and a name better than of sons and daughters: I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.
    Isaiah 56:6 Also the sons of the strangers, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, everyone that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, AND TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT.

Cornelius was already regenerated as evidence by his righteous acts. When this happened is not revealed by the scripture, but we know how. He was saved in the same manner as we are today. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other NAME under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." The NAME has been declared since and before the foundation of the world.

Psalms 9:16 "The Lord is known (THE NAME) by the judgment which he executeth.." Indeed, Cornelius already knew the name of the Lord, the righteous acts of Christ, in order for him to keep the righteous judgments/acts of THE COVENANT. His NAME is revealed in his judgment/commandments/covenant. Even though he was under the old covenant at that time, he saw/knew of Christ and his COVENANT/NAME.

As far as baptism saving, it is undoubtedly NO. The command to "go and sin no more" (John 8:11) could only be accomplished by the entering into the new covenant where we/they would no longer be under the types and shadows of the old covenant that could never take away sins. Baptism is the ordinance which places us in the NEW COVENANT where the true NAME (Jn 17:3) is expounded and reveal unto his people, the washing of water by the word. Ephesians 3:10 "...might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God."

If the act of baptism, not sprinkling or pouring, saves, then why did it not save the false brethren in Jude? Surely they thought they were saved and had made a profession of faith and were baptized. Yet Jude describes them accordingly, vs 12 "These are spots in your feasts of charity when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear, clouds they are without water (the Holy Spirit), carried about of winds, trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots."

Baptism puts you in covenant position where it will be revealed whether you will bring forth fruit or not and what manner it will be. Matthew 13:3-9

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name meaning authority. Deuteronomy 18:15-19 is a prophecy about Christ.
    So 1 John 5:9-13.

10. unprofitable

unprofitable Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. :). I once heard a message from a pastor who defined the word name as meaning, a definitive conspicuous position indicating character, power, authority, and position. That changed the meaning of many scriptures to me.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comments were only pointing out what the passage is portraying, and reflects the human aspect involved.

The how was addressed by others early on, namely by the Holy Spirit. Spiritual regeneration cannot occur any other way than by the hand of God.

The when, according to what the passage seems to reflect, is after he heard and believed.

12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, #18, but also #19, which is where we really are. The believing is “in the Lord Jesus Christ”, Acts 11:17.

I understand the desire to add baptism as a necessary condition, but in this case, it is not so stated. Rather the problem is one of recognition of Gentile Christians by Jewish Christians.

Are these believers being saved going to be recognized as having been added to the church by the Lord? Or will they instead remain lower class Christians similar to uncircumcised God-fearers under Judaism?

13. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The text does not tell us. This is not a didactic text. It is a narrative. You interpret narrative, normally, by clearer didactic texts. Look at Eph 2 to determine how he and every person is regenerated. It is the gift of God.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That’s probably a middle of the road answer. You may be interested when I put my main post out soon.

15. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My Comment: OK. I think you are saying he was already regenerated before Acts 10. You say the evidence was his righteous acts. I say you can’t assume anything by someone’s righteous acts when you are talking about whether a man is regenerated or not. It’s too subjective. He could be doing all these good works but committing many terrible sins at the same time! Don’t think this doesn’t happen. What about the Pharisees? (Luke 18:10-11, Matt 23). Then you say Cornelius came in the same way we do today, that is, like in Acts 4:12, in the Name of Jesus. It couldn’t have been in the Name of Jesus before Peter preached Christ to him. He may have known about Christ but he didn’t know Christ. What does it mean to be saved in Christ’s NAME. Does it mean “Accepting Christ as Lord and Savior”? If you have to accept Him it has to be ALL the time and not just one time. I think all of this plays into understanding when Cornelius was regenerated.

My Comment: Ps 9:11 (KJV Ps 9:10, Ps 91:14) brings that out. I think I see what you see in these verses. Cornelius was acting on the graces he had been given even though he didn’t really know Christ. Christ rewarded him for this (had mercy) by bringing him in touch with Peter to hear about Christ. We would describe these graces as Actual Graces. I will explain that more when I put my main post on this thread.

My Comment: I agree that Baptism places us in the New Covenant by the washing of water and the word. The “Washing” and “Word” are present at Water Baptism (Eph 5:26). I was really inspired one day and found this. If you concentrate on Ex 2:1-6 and read the other verses I mention around it you’ll see it:
    1 Pet 3:21 - This verse connects the “Ark” with “Baptism”.
    Ex 2:1-6 - In these verses, you see the story of Moses as a baby escaping death by being put in a basket and floating down the river.
    Notice:
    Verses 3 & 5 the “Basket” is referred to as the “Ark”.
    Verse 5 -Bulrushes - L scirpeam = Papyrus
    Strongs #1572 - G Gome = Papyrus
    Papyrus was used to write scripture (Word).
    The “Water” was used to float the basket
    Eph 5:26 - The “Water” and the “Word”
    1 Pet 3:20 - The “Ark” is connected to “Water” - Same as Ex 2
    THE BOTTOM LINE: Moses was saved by the “Water” and the “Word” - Baptism (Eph 5:26)

It’s so easy to tie everything to Water Baptism. There are so many proofs in scripture that Baptismal regeneration occurs with Water Baptism.

My Comment: This is a great question! Also it says the same thing in 2 Peter 2:13. This is speaking about heretics. You can fall away from the Faith. It’s a great question because it reminds me of a misunderstanding Protestants have with our understanding of justification. Many, many Protestants forget and think that Catholics believe they are saved “once and for all” by Water Baptism. Absolutely not true! We believe salvation is a process. Baptism is our “initial justification” (signed or sealed with the Holy Ghost). This is how we come into the family and receive the pledge of our inheritance (down payment)(Eph 1:13-14) but we can lose our inheritance (Eph 5:5). We must, therefore, remain “in Christ” (John 15:4-7, Rom 8:1). We believe in an “ongoing justification”. Confessing and repenting of sin is part of Perseverance. Trent called the Sacrament of Confession “a Second Plank after the shipwreck of lost grace” [Denziger’s, #807 (DS 1542)] The “Plank” was probably based on Acts 27:44. We are judged at the END of our life.

My Comment: True but it is through Water Baptism that initially happens. To get in the Ark you have to pass through the Water! (1 Pet 3:20) Even Martin Luther believed in Baptismal Regeneration through Water Baptism.

16. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree. We are water baptized with that same authority. We are baptized “In the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”. So it’s in God’s Name.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. This is a middle of the road view. You may want to read my main post I will put on after I answer some more questions. Thanks for your post!

18. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My Comment: There is no such thing as “Saving Faith”. The term doesn’t exist. There is a “dead Faith” (James 2:19-20, 26). You could say there is a living Faith or a Working Faith, that is, a Faith that works in Charity (Gal 5:6), but not a “Saving Faith”. Faith Alone really doesn’t do anything by itself. You could use that term if you didn’t mean “Faith Alone”. As I’ve pointed out, the devils believed and had faith and trembled (James 2:19). Baptism IS stated. It is front and center. Acts 11:17 is referring back to Acts 10:47 which points directly to Baptism. In Acts 11:17, Peter repeats the same meaning that he said in Acts 10:47, “who was I, that could withstand God?” Acts 10:47 says “Then Peter answered: Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Ghost, as well as we? These two phrases mean the same thing. You have to have Faith to be Baptized but Baptism is where the regeneration takes place. The power of Baptism comes from the side of Christ while He was on the cross (John 19:34). Water flowed from His side.

19. LaGrange

LaGrange Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree regeneration is a gift. There is nothing we can do to get it. Again, this is why we baptize infants. But there is a time and place we receive it and how we receive it. Col 2:13 is a cross reference to Eph 2:5 which is baptism. Quickened comes from Baptism (Col 2:13). Sins are blotted out. Col 2:11 describes Baptism and Col 2:12 IS Baptism. I’m only criticizing to bring out some points.

20. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ahem ahem

the exact term may not exist, but I introduce you to Romans 12:3 “God has given to us the measure of faith”

Ie the exact amount of faith needed to believe the Gospel. It is the same measure of Paul, Abram, Moses, Calvin, Luther et al

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.