1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured And the Greatest of these......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, May 8, 2020.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that your argument is pure philosophy. There reason I say this is:

1. You deny the greatest gift to humanity is Christ. But Scripture testifies to the contrary. Even those who are not saved have their existence through Him. They "hold together" through Him. Scripture tells us that the greatest gift is love, that God is love, that God sent His Son to the world to save those who believe as an act of love. Scripture tells us that this is the greatest. But no passage, only your "reasoning" concludes that Scripture is the greatest gift to mankind.

2. Scripture is not given to the world. Scripture was given to the people of God.

3. Even if we look only at the gospel it is foolishness to those who are perishing.

4. You misquote Scripture to prove a point. How can Scripture be the "greatest" gift to humanity if it is so easily twisted to serve a philosophical argument?

2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Romans 15:4-6 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

5. You are inconsistent. You deny God as the greater gift because of those who will not be saved. But at the same time you seem to argue that Scripture is given to those who cannot benefit from Scripture.

God gives Himself to Humanity, to Mankind. That is the gospel itself. To ignore this is, IMHO, to miss the point of Christ's work.

Your error is due, I believe, to relying on Calvinism as a philosophy rather than a soteriology. It has colored your thinking to the point that you do not see Scripture is given for the purpose of equipping and teaching the man of God but the whole world. You do not seem to see Scripture is given for OUR instruction so that WE might be encouraged to have hope but seem to think that it is given to the world so that somehow the lost have a hope not coupled with perseverance.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It took me awhile (reading through three threads, in fact) to figure out that the objection here is a misapplication of Calvinism. They are taking Calvinism as a philosophy - which it is, but they are removing it from soteriology and applying it to Scripture as a whole.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "AustinC,

[Scripture is given to the entire world. It is beneficial to God's children as the Holy Spirit gives counsel. It is often misused and twisted by those enslaved to Satan.

1 Timothy 3:16 tells us...

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

God doesn't give Himself to the unredeemed. To them He casts out unto eternal damnation.

God is the I Am. He is not a gift (object) given to men that they might possess Him.
    The elect are objects upon which he chooses to bestow his gift of grace and Redeem from their unrighteousness. He places these redeemed sinners into Christ Jesus, our Redeemer.
    Nowhere that I know of in scripture is God called a gift to humanity. JonC, you are making a purely philosophical argument.

By virtue of His essence, God is greater than all things. But, the question is, what is the greatest gift, not who is the greatest being. This is why I think your argument is incorrect. You are attempting to move the goalpost.]

Austin,
    For years The Gideons place bibles in motels with the view that unsaved people might be in hotels motels and find The Bible as they look in the drawers maybe read the word of God and get saved.
    so the word of God is given to all mankind. It's not given because all mankind are going to motels to find a Gideon bible but there is a time when each and every one of the elect are not yet saved.
    So sometime they get saved through the preaching and teaching of Jesus that they get to hear somewhere .
    sometime they get saved by faithful witness of a neighbor or friend or relative and many many many times they get saved by reading The Bible the scripture. The reason the scripture is such a great gift is that it gives people all around the world on knowledge of the true and living God and knowledge of salvation a knowledge of all a biblical teaching. For someone to just say oh no no just Jesus people don't know who Jesus is people don't know don't know what Jesus did people don't know about the judgment to come so scripture informs us on all of that which I'm sure you're aware of and I think you can see when people just wanna resist this truth they come up with all manner of things and eventually of course they will say whatever you say about them like of you say you using philosophy they also know it's you using Calvinism as philosophy or you know they all tell twist and pervert whatever you say and whatever you observe about them they will say it's you that's doing it but don't be distracted by that you're seeing and thinking right on this on these topics

#23 Iconoclast, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC, I have applied scripture in presenting my case. You have applied philosophy.
    Scripture is clear. You simply want to fight to the death on this hill.
    In the past, you have required scripture, but in this argument you have abandoned scripture and claimed God is a gift without and biblical support.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does God give his love to all humanity?
    Does God give His love or is God Love?
    There is a distinction.
    My answer:
    God does not give His love to all humanity.
    God is Love. God chose to love those who believe throughout the whole world, within all of time. Thus, when John says "For God so loved the world" John is not speaking of the universal, unredeemed world. John is speaking of "whosoever believes", which is the elect.

Does the Bible say that God is a gift to humanity? Perhaps you have a verse that says this.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Particular ,

Reading your comments I realize we are looking at this differently.

When you determine what is the greatest gift given to humanity, are
    Does God give Scripture to all of humanity OR does God give Scripture for the teaching and reproof "so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work", for "our instruction so that through preseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope"?

It seems to me that you are trying your best to elevate man and diminish God here. I provided you several passages. Yes, God does give His love to all humanity - in that God loved the world (humanity/ mankind) by sending His Son that whosoever (who out of mankind/ humanity) believes will have everlasting life.

It appears that you are trapped in a "vain philosophy" that has you denying Scripture to affirm what Scripture itself never states. I understand. People are like that. It is the "human" thing to do.

But if you considered, for a moment, that it is not about man but God's own glory then perhaps you would adhere a bit closer to a biblical perspective.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. You have not.

You have provided that you believe God's giving of Himself to the world (humanity/ mankind) so that those in the world (humanity/ mankind) who believe may have everlasting life is of lesser value than is Scripture.

In doing so you have denied Scripture in that you reject passages that state Scripture is given specifically to those who are saved and the gospel to those who are being saved.

I do not respond to you to persuade you otherwise. I respond for the benefit of the board.

Scripture tells us a few things you deny:

1. that Scripture is given to those who are saved for their benefit.
    2. that the gospel is given to those who are being saved.
    3. that the greatest gift God has given is love
    4. that God is love
    5. that God loved the world that He gave His only Son (He gave of Himself) that whosoever in the world believes in Him might be saved.

You deny all of those passages to claim a false and vain philosophy that Scripture is God's greatest gift to humanity with the pretense that it is knowledge of Scripture rather than God who saves.
    SNIP

I think that we all can see where your hearts lie, where your "treasure" is, what you value most of all. And you should be ashamed.

#27 JonC, May 11, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2020
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage you quote tells us that Scripture is given to saved people. Likewise in Romans we read that Scripture is for the Church.

2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Romans 15:4-6 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Using Scripture your philosophy is proven false. Scripture is not given to the lost, but to the saved (read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and Romans 15:4-6).

You are wrong. And your argument against Scripture is wrong. Your philosophy is wrong.

Turn to Scripture. Scripture itself claims it is not given to the world but to those who are saved. The only "greatest gift" Scripture claims is love.

I suspect you hate that, given your comments about Acts. But that is what the Bible says. Do you believe the Bible, @Iconoclast ? Or do you believe that Scripture is God's greatest gift to humanity? You cannot have it both ways. You need to choose this day who you will follow.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Austin C,
    Hello my friend.
    Did you post anything, anywhere, to anyone saying scripture is not given to benefit believers to grow in grace and knowledge?
    I might have missed that post,so Austin C could you clarify that as well as did you deny that scripture is given to those who are being saved?

I did not see anything posted as has been alleged,so could you clarify or direct me to a direct quote of you posting that?

I do not like when persons try and speak for me when I have said no such thing.
    No one likes such a fabricated post.
    Someone we know posted that very thing this past few days...I will look that up!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He posted that Scripture was given to humanity but Christ was not.

Scripture does not affirm that claim.

You guys are too much into philosophy on this one.

You do not have to understand Scripture, but at least acceot what it says.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, it is very simple.

A gift is something "given willingly to someone without payment".

Scripture tells us the greatest gift is love.

Scripture tells us God is love.

Scripture tells us God loved us by giving us His Son

Scripture tells us there is no greater love than one lay down his life for a friend.

Scripture tells us Christ died for us while we were sinners.

Scripture tells us that Scripture is given to instruct godly men.

Scripture tells us that it was given to those who believe.

That is this is debatable is sad.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

Ok...lets look
    There were two threads pt1, pt2 on scripture as the greatest gift to mankind/ humanity which you did not agree with. In those threads, you like several others, and even myself years ago objected saying no...Jesus is!
    To sum up those threads my position was and is, that without the God-given gift of scripture...[the word of God written.]...we do not have the biblical Jesus, Trinity, knowledge of grace not works, knowledge of the blood of Jesus, the cross, doctrines of grace, knowledge of fellowship and communion with the true and living God.
    I asked the objectors...WHICH JESUS? no one answered because they can see clearly that all true knowledge comes through the God given scriptures.
    Is new birth necessary?of course
    Can the scriptures save a person? but scripture is the means the Holy Spirit uses to give us all truth. It was promised to the Apostles in jn14,15,16.
    The truth about Jesus? where ?/SCRIPTURE.
    THE TRUTH ABOUT THE CROSS /SCRIPTURE , ANY TRUTH/SCRIPTURE

HERE IN THIS THREAD, HOW ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE YOUR CASE? I have put in red what you suggest is the way to truth. IT SEEMS AS IF YOU FOUGHT AGAINST THOSE POSTS, BUT PERHAPS LEARNED SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN NOW USE....

Sorry you feel that way.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [QUOTE="JonC,
    In post # 24 @AustinC specifically stated that Scripture does not present God Himself as a gift (as willingly giving Himself to someone without payment). This is a false statement.

In post # 19 @AustinC claims that Scripture is given to the entire world where Christ is not. He quotes 2 Timothy 3:16-17, but that very passage (along with Romans 15:4-6) denies his conclusion.

I did not read Austins posts as you stated, My reading of his posts did not agree with what you claimed he said. This is why I do not plan too much interaction with your posts. Your conclusions do not match the way I understand his post.Austin can clarify if I am mistaken, but he did not deny as you said.
    Is it possible you read it in haste and did not comprehend it?

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, I provided scripture and you say I didn't. You have claimed God is a gift to all humanity, yet you have no scripture. You claim the gifts actually described in scripture are me philosophizing, yet you make a claim with no scriptural support at all.
    Truly you are doing your best to die on this hill.
    There is no more to say in this thread. You have provided no legitimate argument. Good evening.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did provide Scripture (both restricting Scripture to godly people and stating that God gave His Son to the world).

You are just being silly now.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because you are moving the target away from the OP.

Do you deny that those who are not saved cannot understand Scripture?

Do you deny that the gospel is to the world "foolishness"?

Do you deny that Scripture is given to "godly men"?

Do you deny that God gave His Son to the world (that He came not only to His Sheep but to His own who rejected Him as John 1 states)?

Do you deny the greatest gift is love?

Do you deny God is love?

That is the issue. It is impossible to hold the position God is less than Scripture in terms of what has been given to mankind without denying Scripture.
    There are several things that do not pass the test of Scripture.

A gift is something " given willingly to someone without payment".

In post # 24 @AustinC specifically stated that Scripture does not present God Himself as a gift (as willingly giving Himself to someone without payment). This is a false statement.

In post # 19 @AustinC claims that Scripture is given to the entire world where Christ is not. He quotes 2 Timothy 3:16-17, but that very passage (along with Romans 15:4-6) denies his conclusion.

John 1 tells us that Christ came to men and those He came to did not accept Him, but as many as did were saved. John 3 tells us that whoever out of a world to which Christ was sent believes will have life.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JonC,

Probably not. Moving the target ot goalposts would be those who try and change the term greatest gift, to the word SUPERIOR,
    Nothing is superior to God. No one suggested such a thing, but indeed the goalpost was moved
    :Cautious

[QUOTE]Do you deny that those who are not saved cannot understand Scripture?
    [/QUOTE]
    As a truck driving believer who is labeled as a Calvinist we should know the answer here. rom8:7 1cor2:14, are clear on this. Good thing we have the great gift of scripture to answer for us.:Sneaky
    Now we see the issue here. Thanks for this series of questions.:Thumbsup

Can a person who claims to be a truck driver know more than a person who claims to have been to seminary? This was recently asked and now we can see the answer is a solid yes indeed
    :Thumbsup

[QUOTE]Do you deny that the gospel is to the world "foolishness"?[/QUOTE]
    Of course not, let 1 cor1: teach you;
    17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

No, I posted two threads showing how scripture is given to all mankind as the greatest gift. It is given both to saved men, and unsaved men, it is not an either or, but a both and.So of course it is given to godly men for several reasons. They should have instructed you in this:Cautious

This is not a yes ,no question. God deals in COVENANT REDEMPTION WITH
    hIS SHEEP , HIS CHILDREN THAT ARE SCATTERED WORLDWIDE. Those who perished in the day of Noah for example, the world of the ungodly, never knew about Jesus. They those who heard of a promised seed, could not believe because of sin, again you should have learned these things, but I am glad you have asked for help!

Yes....God's love is a love in truth. Without scripture we do not have 1cor13, or 1 john 1 to define the Love of God.
    You do not have the scriptural account and teaching leading right up to the great love of God in the cross.Good question.

Not at all, as Reynolds says...it is in scripture, you should know it.

Thanks for these fine questions, I hope they help fill in some of the gaps in understanding:Thumbsup

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post is wrong, but it is wrong in a very simple oversight that has plagued a few threads to include this one.

It is applying the definition of "great" to "greatest".

Were we speaking of Scripture as a great gift then the posts would have a point and it would be correct. But we are not. We are speaking of the "greatest" gifting of God.

The word "greatest" is the superlative of "great". It claims superiority of whatever it is applied to. The greatest movie is The Godfather. The greatest band is the Grateful Dead. The greatest state is South Carolina (with Georgia a close second). Like that.

The goal post was moved by those changing the term "greatest gift" which is superlative of "great" (in this context, it claims whatever it is applied to to be the superior gifting of God) to mean "great".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In John 3:16 God's love in sending the Lord Jesus is to be admired not because it is extended to so big a thing as the world, but to so bad a thing; not to so many people, as to such wicked people. Nevertheless elsewhere John can speak of "the whole world" (1 John 2:2), thus bringing bigness and badness together. More importantly, in Johannine theology the disciples themselves once belonged to the world but were drawn out of it (e.g., John 15:19). On this axis, God's love for the world cannot be collapsed into his love for the elect.

(D. A. Carson. The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God)

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you are appealing to the commentaries of men rather than scripture.
    I thought you said it was wrong to do that.:Cautious:confused::Cautious
    You posted against this very thing, but now that you want to do it...it is okay!
    Is this what people refer to as a double standard?