1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured And the Greatest of these......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, May 8, 2020.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I am appealing to Scripture and offering the commentary of men. We need to appeal to Scripture but also show that our interpretation is not new.

I do not believe anyone here would consider that a double standard (except perhaps those who are ignorant of what I have actually posted in the past).

In the thread I have spoken of the same passages. I just want other people who read the thread to know that mainstream Calvinism does not hold the position that a few hyper-Calvinists may hold.

But thank you for bringing this up. You are right that we have different levels of Christians and different levels of general literacy on this board. The clarification will hopefully help those who were confused now understand a bit clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "JonC,

[No. I am appealing to Scripture and offering the commentary of men. We need to appeal to Scripture but also show that our interpretation is not new.]

I have done this exact thing and you chide me for it,lol
    This is special :Cautious:Cautious:Cautious
    Carry on JonC. We will make like we did not notice it:Thumbsdown:Sneaky:Sick

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

You have misunderstood what I have repeatedly said.

When we read Scripture I believe it best to read without using a commentary. Read the passage you are studying and the entire book for context (or whole Psalm, ect.). Prayerfully read it several times and come to your own conclusion.

THEN go to commentaries. Make sure you did not come up with a new interpretation.

But our authority is Scripture. Arguing commentary against commentary does no good. Use commentaties as tools, not as Scripture.

I hope I cleared up your misunderstanding of my previous comments. Had I realized you did not grasp what I was saying I would have taken the time back then to explain it to you.

Grasping God's Word by Duvall and Hays is a tool that might benefit you. It is avaliable on Amazon and will help you learn how to study Scripture.

Another is The Hermeneutical Spiral, by Grant Osborne. I think the Grasping God's Word would be a better start. It is written at a very approachable level. As you advance in your study perhaps pick up The Hermenutical Spiral. Both are on Amazon.

In Christ

Jon