• Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Applauding in a church service

Salty

20,000 Posts Club
Administrator
What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?

Any Scripture reference for or against?

Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?

Open for discussion
 

David Lamb

Well-Known Member
What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?

Any Scripture reference for or against?

Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?

Open for discussion
Whom is being applauded? I have never been in a church service involving applause, but I have occasionally seen services on television which including applause, invariable after somebody (or a group of people) has put on a performance of some kind, so the applause was, I imagine, for the performers. I don't see any scriptural warrant for performances as part of a service.
 

KenH

Well-Known Member
Whom is being applauded? I have never been in a church service involving applause, but I have occasionally seen services on television which including applause, invariable after somebody (or a group of people) has put on a performance of some kind, so the applause was, I imagine, for the performers. I don't see any scriptural warrant for performances as part of a service.

A lot of people want to be entertained.

2 Timothy 4:1-4
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
 

David Lamb

Well-Known Member
A lot of people want to be entertained.

2 Timothy 4:1-4
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Yes, and it is quite natural to applaud entertainers. But worship services are not to entertain us.
 

rsr

<b> 7,000 posts club</b>
Moderator
Preachers have been performing for much longer.

I do not like applause; probably that's because it would have been unthinkable when I was growing up.
 

Reynolds

Well-Known Member
Site Supporter
What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?

Any Scripture reference for or against?

Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?

Open for discussion
Never really thought about it. It has just always been done in the Churches I have attended.
 

KenH

Well-Known Member
I was raised in the Church of Christ and in the 42 years I attended such churches, there were no choirs, no solos, and no clapping, only congregational singing.

For the few years that I attended a Southern Baptist Church, there was a choir, solos, even a band, and clapping.

Now after being regenerated and attending a Sovereign Grace Church for the past five years, there is no choir, no solo, no band, no clapping, only congregational singing.
 

Kai

New Member
I would say applause is permitted as long as the intent is to offer praise and encouragement among the saints.

Psalm 47
O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NASB)
Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you also are doing.
 
Top