Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Whom is being applauded? I have never been in a church service involving applause, but I have occasionally seen services on television which including applause, invariable after somebody (or a group of people) has put on a performance of some kind, so the applause was, I imagine, for the performers. I don't see any scriptural warrant for performances as part of a service.What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?
Any Scripture reference for or against?
Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?
Open for discussion
Whom is being applauded? I have never been in a church service involving applause, but I have occasionally seen services on television which including applause, invariable after somebody (or a group of people) has put on a performance of some kind, so the applause was, I imagine, for the performers. I don't see any scriptural warrant for performances as part of a service.
Yes, and it is quite natural to applaud entertainers. But worship services are not to entertain us.A lot of people want to be entertained.
2 Timothy 4:1-4
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
Applauding is now standard procedure in a majority of American churches.
Never really thought about it. It has just always been done in the Churches I have attended.What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?
Any Scripture reference for or against?
Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?
Open for discussion
Psalm 47
O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NASB)
Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you also are doing.
Applause is simply the expression of approval or appreciation in the same manner that one shouts "Amen!" I was in a certain church that was big in giving "Standing Ovations" to certain men who were regarded by the pastor (and therefore to the congregation - not the connection here) as being "Heroes of the Faith" or whatever. I am all for giving such appreciation and encouragement but in this congregation, you often stood and applauded out of peer pressure because if you were not, what is wrong with you? Sort of like North Koreans not applauding for Kim Jong Un?What are your thoughts about applauding during a church service?
Never?
Depends?
Whenever?
Any Scripture reference for or against?
Is it encouraged or is it discouraged?
Open for discussion