1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptism by Immersion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Piper, Dec 15, 2023.

1. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Israelites get immersed in the Red Sea or sprinkled? :Whistling

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but how they were, ". . . And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; . . ."

βαπτίζω baptizoh not ῥαντίζω rantizoh

#42 37818, Dec 16, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  3. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you recognize the symbolism being used.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Historically you could still be a Baptist (landmark Baptists and Primitive Baptists often include groups that "baptized" believers by pouring water as related Baptists because they affirmed believers baptism).

So technically....I'm not sure that the Baptist distinctive includes how one is "baptized".

But I believe baptism by immersion because I believe this is what the word means.

So how's that for a dunno. :Biggrin

5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word "baptise" means to immerse.

Baptism by immersion is The Counsel of God, by the Authority of God
    and is a Divine Ordinance Instituted by God, which Jesus Commissioned and Commanded His churches to perform on all new converts.

True historical churches of the Lord Jesus have been faithful to A.) Follow the Lord in being baptized into one of His churches, by the Authority of God and B.) to obey His Command to baptised those who are saved and made disciples, and then teach them all things He has Commanded.

Those who have been saved but not baptized into one of the Lord's churches have not been taught.

Not unless they think they are in the position to legislate the word of God.

God has revealed Himself and His Will and how He is to be Worshipped, in words, and He means what He says.

The word "baptism" is the mode.

What do you mean by this?
    Baptism expresses that we are immersed into Christ.

You will need to learn the definition of "baptised" and give up trying to change the meaning of words in the Bible, before you dispense Spiritual Advice and tell God what He accepts as Worship.
    Water in that case can be poured or sprinkled without offending God.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptism that saves us is our immersion (death, burial, and resurrection) into Christ Jesus by the work of the Holy Spirit.
    Water is an element that symbolizes this spiritual event. When water is poured over you, you are being immersed. It is a mode that can symbolize the same idea of immersion as going down into water.
    What pouring is not is, it's not Baptist tradition. I don't see God demanding one tradition of baptism over another. If it was that important, God would have provided very clear prescriptions as to exactly how it was to be performed. But, there is no such prescription written down and demanded by God. Therefore, it becomes an issue of conscience not law.

7. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

There is no such thing as being immersed into Christ Jesus, that has anything to do with the process of salvation.

There is no 'spiritual event', having to do with salvation, where the word "baptism" is associated in any form.

If and when words mean absolutely nothing. You're there.

Dah.

Oh. There are a few million martyrs that have been put to death for their stance on Baptism as Immersion, so yeah, you got that one right.

You have adopted a religious tradition in your mind that the Lord's Institution of baptism He initiated from Heaven, is immersion, only by the traditional of man.

You can stay stuck there all you want, in direction opposition to the revealed will of God, as recorded in the New Testament.

Not if you don't consider the Bible as God's 'prescription' written down.

Your conscience is way off from the understanding of the English language.

That's how you explain the wholesale loss of the understanding Bible truth, by the overwhelming majority of Christianity, today.

8. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Galatians 3:25-29)
    But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

The Spirit of God has immersed us into Christ. We are entirely found in Christ. This is our true and very real baptism, performed by the Holy Spirit upon us. The water baptism we perform in the church gives representation to that which has already taken place. It is a public confession of what God has already done.

God has not prescribed a mode for this ceremony which he ordained us to do. Different denominations in the chirch have different modes and some ascribe a different means. (I will take a stand against water baptism as a means of regeneration.) God has never prescribed a mode that pleases Him more than a different mode.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The symbolism does not negate being immersion.

#49 37818, Dec 17, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Egyptians got immersed. :Biggrin

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Israelites or Egyptians?!?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As, ya got there 1st :Thumbsup

• Like Like x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Israel was immersed in a cloud being in the Red Sea unto Moses, per 1 Corinthians 10:2.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does anyone wash feet as Jesus mandates? ;)

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus actually didn't mandate foot washing (to the church).

John 13:14–16 If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him."

But the principle does carry over, just not in foot washing. Jesus didn't wash our feet, but He loved us. He sacrificed for us. He looked after our needs. There is an example here for all of us to follow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In John 13:4-19 it is so supposed after the supper and not before. And NOWHERE else in all the written word of God. See Luke 22:20-21 before this to understand why.

#56 37818, Dec 17, 2023
  17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah Jon they really got immersed, and they're really dead... There is no new life for them... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
  18. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Washing feet is not a mandate... As a lifelong PB I should know!... There are PB's who don't wash feet and there are also other beliefs who art not PB's who do... If a person doesn't have the right mindset of humility, they shouldn't... Understanding the significance of the act is the key... Somebody doesn't want to wash feet?... No problem with me... Keep your shoes on!... Brother Glen:)

#58 tyndale1946, Dec 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view it a sign of compliance to the example of humility Christ provided us and I agree your you about the lack of significance

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the symbolism. I don't know that it is practical in all cases (it was practical....and a custom...to the Disciples).

I agree with @Earth Wind and Fire that it shows humility, at least to the first century Jews (it was the role of a servant).

And I agree with you that it is not mandated. There are many ways to show humility. This is something that has been lost in our society.

BTW....if somebody wants to show me humility, don't wash my feet....mow my lawn. :Biggrin