1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical Atonement (Part 4....but who's counting)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Mar 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well ...one heretic to another....thanks for the civil conversation and for listening. I always point to Scripture, not only because God's Word is the standard but also because I'm not the most articulate fella God put on this green earth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, show forbearance.
    This distinction between believing in Sola Scriptura and honestly living it is a hard one.
    Some posters....are not gifted to be teachers of the text or ones who are exceptionally talented at grammar and Theology etc....
    They are honest believers called to be sheep (not shepherds of sheep) who genuinely want to fight off the "wolves".

I won't name names...but many posters here are not called as shepherds, they are honest sheep.

In a way, their shepherds are responsible. We can't require of them that they take on the role of one to question all teachings and put them in the light of Scripture. It's neither their skill-set nor their calling. If I trusted say "my bookshelf" over your arguments (for instance) would I be wrong if God had never called me to be a discerner?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No...they are saying the wrath revealed from heavenRom1:16 against all men.....does not need to be dealt with when it comes to believers.
    God is just to unleash that wrath on the ungodly punishing everyone of their sins, but no wrath needs to be turned away, or propitiated by Jesus on behalf of those who believe They just believe Jesus rose from the grave and was victorious over death.
    Then their sin vanishes mysteriously with no consequence.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I appreciate that reply....
    I'm not sure that is what they are saying, but, I leave it to them to elucidate what they ARE saying.
    Somehow, I am doubtful that they would argue that "sin vanishes mysteriously with no consequence". If it is true that that is their claim, then, obviously they are truly unorthodox at best.
    Something tells me that that is not their claim.

I'll let them respond.
    Thank you for your post :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who chastised the Christ?

it was not God, for Christ has the fullness of God dwelling in Him.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Colossians 2 present?

I have posted it numerous times.
    It answers your accusations, but will you accept the answer?

What does Colossians 2 reveal about the question of the sin?

What does Colossians 2 reveal concerning the decrees of the Law?

Either Colossians 2 is still in the Scriptures and PSA is error, or someone needs to study Colossians 2 and figure out where wrath from Gos is missing in that passage.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally!

You get it!

There is NO CONDEMNATION to those in Christ Jesus.

Now, Iconoclast.

Apply that to what Christ did on the cross for believers?

You do hold to particular redemption?

If there is no condemnation to those chosen in Christ from the foundation of the World, then why would God dump wrath upon the Son?

Propitiation is used in the NT to represent both the furniture and the blood, and it is used in the thinking of bringing reconciliation. Just as in the OT the sacrifice had to be pleasing, to be satisfactory or it was rejected by God.

The need for reconciliation was resolved by the crucifixion, and as such it applies only to believers, chosen before the foundation of the world, and All believers from Adam to the last have no condemnation, and therefore no wrath necessary from God.

PSA does not make good Calvinist thinking does it!

#207 agedman, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't been reading these threads then.

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, JonC and I have not stood up to Scrutiny?

We have not endured insults and wholesale condemnation?

I’m not complaining, nor innocent, however insults and condemnation have been regular feed throughout these threads.

Thankfully, there are, in all the mix, good solid points made in which Scriptures have been examined.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're making up a wholly arbitrary usage of language.

When a ransom is paid, it's called an exchange. The life of the animal is given in exchange for the life of the offerer. You can dance around it all you want. But that is what is going on.

What is exchanged in Christ's offering is His righteousness for our sin. He became our sin, that we might become His righteousness.

And no, I didn't say an offering was not accepted. The offering itself was spotless, but when offered for sin or trespass, it is rejected or banned FROM THE ALTAR as an unclean thing. That is, it is judged. It is that cast out of the abode of God and burned on the ground with its dung.

In Jesus's life, He is our righteousness. On the Cross, He is our sin. An unclean thing. Cursed of God FOR US. Receiving OUR sentence.

11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are placing focus upon the animal. The focus for the atonement sacrifice was the purity of the priest and the blood. Defect in either was met by the wrath ofGod.

in order for you to hold to PSA, then either the Christ or His blood had to be defective.

Colossians 2 disproves PSA.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.