Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
It wasn't ad hominem. You say that General Semantics is "new age." Architecture is "new age." Naval Engineering is "new age." Psychotherapy is "new age." That sounds more like Riplinger than Riplinger does! </font>[/QUOTE]I didn't know we were talking about naval engineering and psychotherapy! You were presenting these people as experts on semantics and language and I do not think Bucky Fuller or Heinlein qualify and I am not sure about the Russian guy. Even if you think they are qualified, that does not mean their theories on semantics and language are valid or good. Fuller's worldview is very questionable. He may have built good domes and been brilliant, but his worldview is very compatibile with New Age beliefs which is why he is so popular with New Ager philosophers.Originally posted by skanwmatos:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marcia:
Nice try on an ad hominem but it isn't working.
The Institute believed they were qualified. And he was Polish, not Russian.Originally posted by Marcia:
I didn't know we were talking about naval engineering and psychotherapy! You were presenting these people as experts on semantics and language and I do not think Bucky Fuller or Heinlein qualify and I am not sure about the Russian guy.
It seems, to the contrary, you do!I don't throw around the term New Age lightly.
The Institute believed they were qualified. And he was Polish, not Russian.Originally posted by skanwmatos:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Marcia:
I didn't know we were talking about naval engineering and psychotherapy! You were presenting these people as experts on semantics and language and I do not think Bucky Fuller or Heinlein qualify and I am not sure about the Russian guy.
It seems, to the contrary, you do! </font>[/QUOTE]But how valid are the Institute's beliefs and authority? I don't think that's been shown, especially if they accept people like Heinlein and Fuller who, as far as I know, have no qualifications in this area.I don't throw around the term New Age lightly.
The Institute's academic credentials are impeccable.Originally posted by Marcia:
But how valid are the Institute's beliefs and authority?
Bob Heinlein is one of the most prolific writers of the 20th century. And Fuller, literally, wrote the book on Architecture.I don't think that's been shown, especially if they accept people like Heinlein and Fuller who, as far as I know, have no qualifications in this area.
Read your own post! You seem to see "new agers" under every bed!Please show me how I throw around the term New Age lightly. If you are going to accuse me of that -- and you really know little about me and should not make such accusations lightly -- then please back it up or retract it.
Name any recognized expert on language theory who disagrees with the academic position of the Institute of General Semantics.Originally posted by Marcia:
Language theorists disagree with each other and there are different schools of thought in this area.
When their field IS language, and the communication of their knowledge to others via the written word in books, and the spoken word in the classroom, that certainly does make them experts. How many books have you had published?Heinlein and Fuller may be giants in their fields, but this does not give them authority or credentials in the field of semantics or language.
I did not claim that all writers had insight into language, but the two I mentioned are recognized as having exactly that.Writers do not automatically have insight on theories of language or philosophy of language, which is another field.
Read your post. You attempted to pass off the logical error of "poisoning the well" by insinuating that, because some have misused General Semantics to further their own agenda, that General Semitics is therefore suspect. That is just plain silly. If that were true then the bible is suspect because some have misused it to further their own agenda.You still have not shown how I threw around the term "new age" lightly.
And they have absolutely nothing to do with General Semantics.The things I called New Age or the people I mentioned are, in fact, in the New Age worldview camp.
Have you read the works on General Semantics I listed and can you categorically say those works are new age?I do not use that term unless I have read the people and/or can back it up with evidence.
Without bothering to read the material you are condemning as "new age?" How is that "evidence?" It seems to me it is anti-evidence. Not to mention biased and highly arrogant.That is the way I am. I almost went to law school (didn't go due to a personal situation) and was a paralegal in the area of criminal law for several years, and I am very evidence oriented.
I did not mention any of them except to imply your thinking seems to parallel Riplinger's in calling anything you don't understand "new age."That is why I reject the writings of people like Gail R, Texe Marrs, New Age conspiracy theorists/writers, Rebecca Brown (though she was alleging occult things rather than New Age), and many others of that ilk.
Most of it, for the purposes of this discussion, seems to be coming directly from you!I speak around the country and on radio, and one of the main things I warn believers about is that there is a lot of inacurrate information out there.
Do you call it "accurate" when you accuse an entire academic discipline "new age" without even bothering to look into that discipline?I strive for accuracy, not just because the Lord has called me to full-time ministry in this area, but I am trying to equip believers with solid information, and reaching out to those lost in these same areas I was once engulfed in, and would still be in, if not for the grace and mercy of the Lord.
I did not say this. I said that certain statements you posted were self-refuting statements.For Marcia to say the hard science of General Semantics is "self-refuting" is a prime example of a serious failure to understand.
I do think some of their observations are accurate and interesting, especially the view of the difference between humans' and animals' ability with language, but I am not necessarily going along with their worldviews.General Semantics can be considered an inter-disciplinary discipline for evaluating and adjusting to what happens in your life. You might say that general semantics makes it easier for you to live with yourself ... to live with others ... and for others to live with you.
General Semantics helps you differentiate, and integrate, what we might think of as four different 'worlds' ...
the world 'out there', beyond your skin, that's always changing, in perpetual process
the world 'in here', inside your skin, your nervous system and senses, through which you (only partially) experience the world 'out there'
the world that's not words, the non-verbal world that you see, hear, taste, smell and touch
the world of words, your verbal world of names, symbols, labels, opinions, assumptions, categories, values, beliefs, etc.
In our verbal world of words, we integrate what we 'know' about the world 'out there', the world 'in here' and the world that's not words.
General semantics, formulated by Alfred Korzybski in his 1933 book, Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems, is based on underlying premises, some (but not all) of which include:
We live in a continually-changing, process-oriented world, much of which we have no means of directly observing or experiencing.
What we do experience is therefore partial and incomplete; we abstract only a small portion of what's there - and there is always more.
Different people abstract differently from their own individual experiences, based on their backgrounds, capabilities, interests, biases, etc.
As we become more conscious of this abstracting process, we learn how to become more tolerant and accepting of our own - and others - limitations and potentialities.
We recognize the distinctions between the non-verbal world in which we sense and experience, and our verbal world in which we use symbols and language to talk about what we sense and experience.
The methods of a scientific approach provide us with a basis for evaluating and modifying our attitudes, behaviors and beliefs.
If you deliberately practice general semantics ... the potential consequences include:
More effective, discriminating communications with others, and with yourself
More appropriate, and desirable, reactions, responses and adjustments to the inevitable "accidents waiting to happen" in your four 'worlds'
A more tolerant, inquisitive, open-minded, "matter-of-fact" outlook that is less prone to prejudice, stereotyping, and dogmatic generalizations
A greater degree of moment-to-moment awareness of your own, and others', different perspectives.
From
http://www.generalsemantics.org/about/about-gs.htm
Linguistic inquiry is pursued by a wide variety of specialists, who may not all be in harmonious agreement; as Russ Rymer flamboyantly puts it:
"Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets, theologians, philosophers, philologists, psychologists, biologists, and neurologists, along with whatever blood can be got out of grammarians."
From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics
Expressed simply, the essence of General Semantics is the claim that the structure of language distorts our perception of reality, a failing that could be remedied by insight into that process and also by the creation of language that structurally resembles reality. (To a greater extent than our current languages.)
General Semantics never caught on as a major school of thought within the humanities, although a number of Korzybski's followers do continue the effort to apply and advance upon the results he produced.
. . .General Semantics teaches that all linguistic representations discard most of reality ("The map is not the territory; the word is not the thing defined.") and in particular that much "un-sanity" is caused by adherence to the Aristotelian representation of two-valued either-or logic, which Korzybski saw as being built into Indo-European language structures. From this beginning, Korzybski developed a complex, controversial, jargon-riddled system of what he called mental hygiene intended to increase the student's effective intelligence. Techniques such as indexing with superscript numbers help in this task.
These ideas, retold in more accessible form by Samuel Hayakawa's Language In Thought And Action (1941), Stuart P. Chase's The Tyranny of Words, and other secondary sources, achieved considerable initial success in the 1940s and early 1950s. During that period they entered the idiom of science fiction, notably through the works of A.E. van Vogt and Robert A. Heinlein. After 1955 they became popularly associated with scientology but continued to exert some influence in psychology, anthropology and linguistics. The development of Neuro-linguistic programming shows debts to General Semantics.
From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Semantics
I believe in absolutism. I believe in absolute truth, and a God of absolute good, justice, and mercy. I believe that words can convey truth because God chose words as the vehicle to convey truth to us. There was a reason that what you were initially posting sounded familiar to me -- these theories of the IGS included and/or influenced key people who used some of those theories and/or conclusions in New Age worldviews. To clarify, I am NOT saying that the IGS or that Hayakawa was New Age; however, some of Fuller's ideas and some of the IGS theories were evidently adopted and used by some New Age thinkers, by Scientology and by NLP, hence, the familiarity for me.Alfred Korzybski himself has a very good passage in which he sharply attacked the phrase “eternal verities.” As he wrote in Science and Sanity in 1933:
From time immemorial, some men were supposed to deal in one-valued ‘eternal verities’. We called such men ‘philosophers’ or ‘metaphysicians’. But they seldom realized that all their ‘eternal verities’ consisted of words, and words which, for the most part, belonged to a primitive language, reflecting in its structure the assumed structure of the world of remote antiquity. Besides, they did not realize that these ‘eternal verities’ last only so long as the human nervous system is not altered. Under the influence of these ‘philosophers’, two-valued ‘logic’, and confusion of orders of abstraction, nearly all of us contracted a firmly rooted predilection for ‘general’ statements - ‘universals’, as they are called — which, in most cases, inherently involved the semantic one-valued conviction of validity for all ‘time’ to come.[4]
Whitehead and Korzybski are only two of a long list of philosophers that could be cited for their opposition to absolutisms. But what is desirable is to make this outlook available to a wide general public, and I wish to propose a device for doing so.
From
http://www.generalsemantics.org/learningctr/awr-ema.htm
But if it means two different things to two different people, how do you dogmatically assert that your understanding is the one, and only correct, understanding?Originally posted by skanwmatos:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gb93433:
That same point could be used as many ask the question in a Bible Study, “What does that mean to you?” It is not what does it mean to me, but rather what does it mean.
Of course, but remember, our fallen nature causes us to have a flawed perception, and a flawed processing of that flawed perception, so "coconut" cannot be understood apart from our inner emotional response to the word.A coconut has an objective meaning and the word brings out a subjective response by you. But it still does not change the fact of the objective description of a coconut.
But, again, how do you dogmatically assert that your understanding of the author's intent is the one and only correct understanding? </font>[/QUOTE]And thus, is the flaw of the post-modern mind which says that there is no objective truth and eventually, if carried to its final destination, leads to the denial of ultimate truth and atheism. There is objective truth out there. Just because you don't know what it is or have an emotional misunderstanding of it, doesn't change the fact that the truth is still the truth. We all have our subjective responses to words and truth, but that does not change the objective reality of the truth. If I tell my son not to touch the stove because he will burn himself, his subjective 10 month old mind would say, "the old man is crazy. This stove is not gonna hurt me." This is his subjective response to objective reality. It does not change objective reality though. If I tell a band student that a quarter note gets one beat, but he says it gets two, that may be his subjective response. But his subjective response does not change the objective reality that a quarter note is one beat. If I say that Jesus is the Son of God, and an atheist says he isn't, well, that doesn't change the objective reality that Jesus is the Son of God.Scripture is not to be interpreted according to the reader’s response but rather the authors intent and message in light of its historical context. I do not believe reader response criticism has any validity in interpreting scripture.
You are still confused. Semantics is not General Semantics.Originally posted by Marcia:
Semantics is defined as a subset of linguistics:
Amen, Sister Marcia -- Preach it!Originally posted by Marcia:
I believe in absolutism. I believe in absolute truth, and a God of absolute good, justice, and mercy. I believe that words can convey truth because God chose words as the vehicle to convey truth to us.
Ed, taking cheap shots, especially when the cheap shot is untrue, is beneath your dignity.Originally posted by Ed Edwards:
BTW, you need not keep repeating yourself.
Everybody but Skanwmatos figured out what
you said the first time AND agreed with you.
![]()