1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

George Floyd incident with Derek Chauvin, not guilty IMO

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scott Downey, Mar 16, 2021.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And sometimes it is a justified complaint.

Mr. Floyd begged for his life for 7 minutes, and then lay unconscious and with no discernible pulse for another 2:45 seconds all while the officer knelt on his neck.

That cannot be dismissed as a career criminal crying about the way he is treated.

peace to you

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. He had an audience. But the treatment wasn't hurting him. It was his drug use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    His drug use won’t matter in this trial.

The only thing that will matter is the officer kneeling on his neck for 2:45 seconds knowing he had no discernible pulse.

Peace to you

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said. Feelings is what will matter.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have already bowed out of this thread and stated why, I am sending your a private message answering your question that I feel deserves an answer.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The facts will matter. That the facts generate strong feelings on both sides doesn’t change what really matters in this case.

peace to you

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If he was dying of a fentanyl OD, some Narcan from a human being not intent on killing him would have kept him alive.

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard some first responders have that injection for the OD, though I don’t know if police have the training to administer it.

peace to you

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is still speculation.

12. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guilt of what exactly? Again, I am NOT saying the officer was not in the wrong, but what precisely are you saying the officer is guilty of? If you say murder, or even the death of Floyd, I have a problem with that based on the evidence.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know we disagree. At a minimum, you have abuse of authority under color of law that leads to death. The officer is guilty of murder. In almost every state if a person dies while you are committing a criminal act, you can be charged with murder.

I am focused on the 2:45 seconds that he stayed on his neck after being told Mr. Floyd had no discernible pulse.

Even if you argue the officer was justified kneeling on the neck of a handcuffed suspect that was on his face, begging for his life, claiming he was having trouble breathing (I’m not convinced that was appropriate), but there is absolutely no reason to be staying on his neck knowing he had no discernible pulse.

Answer the question why? Why did he stay on his neck? A reasonable person could conclude he intended for him to die.

peace to you

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I remember correctly, you are mischaracterizing the autopsy report.

I think the coroner’s report stated the “likely” cause of death was overdose which is not definitive in any legal sense. It leaves room for an argument for another cause of death or a contributing cause of death.

peace to you

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps only people with no experience protecting the public from combative, violent, lying career criminals would so conclude.

I haven't been following this case at all, but hear about it a lot. So those who've seen the video...who was checking for the pulse, and was Chauvin urged by any of the other racially diverse officers on the scene to lift his knee earlier?

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Mr. Floyd became unconscious and unresponsive another police officer checked for a pulse and told the officer on his neck he couldn’t find one. He also suggested the officer get off.

Unfortunately, that officer only had a few weeks on the job and left the decision to the senior officer, the one who had his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck.

There is no reason for an officer to “restrain” someone that is on his face, handcuffed, unconscious and without a discernible pulse.

No agency would train an officer to continue a “restraint” in those circumstances. No LEO or former LEO can give any reasonable explanation why to continue the “restraint” in such circumstances.

This isn’t about having experience dealing with career criminals. A reasonable person will want to know why he stayed on his neck for 2:45 knowing he had no discernible pulse.

Maybe you will give the reasonable answer to that question,

peace to you

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    K. You know that checking for a pulse is no longer part of the Red Cross CPR training? And do you know why?

What he was really told was that the inexperienced officer couldn't find a pulse. The real question is, when did Floyd stop breathing?

You have your opinion as a spectator not having to protect the public from people like Floyd. I think the fact that the other officers who were on the scene weren't too eager to prematurely let the actor up speaks better things than you do.

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Floyd was in custody. The officers had a legal obligation for his care.

He was handcuffed. He was on his stomach on the ground. He was unconscious and he was unresponsive and the inexperienced officer couldn’t find a pulse.

Let the defense make their case they thought Mr. Floyd was faking being unconscious, unresponsive and with no discernible pulse.

Then tell them the officer on the neck wanted to make sure Mr. Floyd had stopped breathing as well before getting off the neck, just to be sure he wasn’t faking, to protect the public.

I doubt a jury will find that to be a reasonable explanation but it may be the best the defense can do.

peace to you

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, yeah. Just keep repeating your myopic points. I get it.

Those who were on the scene, and who know what it's like to handle lying, combative and dangerous criminals are better judges than you.

And there you have it.

20. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They can't know that he is so overdosed unless he or someone with him tells them. He had 3 times the lethal limit in his system.