Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.
Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.
We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!
Hear ye hear ye! Anyone may drive my car! And by "anyone" I mean "anyone who is me".Originally posted by UMP:
Because the "any" are the ones who Christ died for. Of that amount, Christ shall lose none. None of these "any" shall perish.
John 6:37 "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."
Then you are confirming what I suggested in the first post. God wants everyone to be saved, but is saying to men, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done."God sovereignly chose free will for His created beings -- hence HIS OWN description.
"I STAND at the door and KNOCK if ANY MAN hears my voice AND opens the door -- THEN I WILL come in".
God sovereignly chose free will for His created beings -- hence HIS OWN description.
"I STAND at the door and KNOCK if ANY MAN hears my voice AND opens the door -- THEN I WILL come in".
If I made it appear that I am the author of Rev 3 -- I did not mean to do it. Sorry.Originally posted by npetreley:
Then you are confirming what I suggested in the first post. God wants everyone to be saved, but is saying to men, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done."
If I made it appear that I am the author of Rev 3 -- I did not mean to do it. Sorry.</font>[/QUOTE]I never claimed you are the author. You are an interpreter. And if your interpretation is correct, then you must believe God is saying to men, "I am not willing that any of you should perish. Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done."Originally posted by BobRyan:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by npetreley:
Then you are confirming what I suggested in the first post. God wants everyone to be saved, but is saying to men, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done."
John 3There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.
10He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
11 [He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name
Rev 3For God so loved the World that he gave his only begotten son - that whoever believes in Him should not perish".
Luke 7 – He says that the Pharisees “rejected God’s Purpose for themselves”20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.
Matt 730 But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected God's purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John.
31 "To what then shall I compare the men of this generation, and what are they like?
32 "They are like children who sit in the market place and call to one another, and they say, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.'
33 "For John the baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, 'He has a demon!'
34 "The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'
Hmm - the point is very clear -- as it turns out. It shows us what the Sovereign God "Chose" to do.Lament over Jerusalem
37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
We've been over those scriptures countless times, and I know what you think they say. You believe the Sovereign God made the Sovereign decision to leave it up to man to decide whether or not to beleive and be saved.Hmm - the point is very clear -- as it turns out. It shows us what the Sovereign God "Chose" to do.
This is a silly question. He is simply showing that God doesn't delight or desire the perishing of the wicked, but he desires and delights in the salvation of whoever would receive Christ. He WANTS people to receive Christ just as he wants you to forgive your brothers. Some choose not to receive Christ just as you choose not to forgive your brother. God's desires and his sovereign will are not the same. He desires you to obey him, but he obviously hasn't sovereignly willed for that to occur.Originally posted by npetreley:
Is God looking down on earth saying to men, "Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done"?
Have it your way, then. It doesn't change much. Then God is saying to men, "I do not desire that any of you perish. Nevertheless, not what I desire but thy will be done."I thought we went through all this on another thread. I posted several examples from scripture with the same word for "willing" to show it means "desiring." God does not desire that any should perish. I posted verse after verse where this same word is translated as desire.
And Arminians always stop on verse 12 of this Scripture and build their whole case on that, disregarding what the next is saying.Originally posted by Skandelon:
Nick you should take another look at this verse:
There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.
10He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
11 [He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name
Calvinists are always explaining away "receiving" as a passive thing, like receiving a pat on the back, but it is clear from this text that the phrase "a many as received Him" is not passive on men's part, because in verse 11 those who were HIS OWN did not receive him, which is clearly an act of the men being unwilling to receive the Christ when he came.
Global context: "The LIGHT OF MEN" unqualified.4 In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men.
5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
6 There came a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.
In vs 12 we see that the action of those who received Christ is what determines the result and in the Greek the reception is in the "active voice". It does not state that some other action was taken forcing them to be children of God and then merely note that they also "received Christ". (Analytical Greek NT - "indicative mood" and "active voice" used for receive in John 1:12)8 He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.
9 There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
11 He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
I have dealt with verse 13 at least 3 times on this board in recent days, as have many other Arminians here, not to mention the many scholars who have written commentaries on the subject for centuries.Originally posted by pinoybaptist:
And Arminians always stop on verse 12 of this Scripture and build their whole case on that, disregarding what the next is saying.