1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the KJVO Movement Dying?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 18, 2024.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. I don't care!

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a very general statement. Care to tell us what doctrine of his you believe to be Catholic and false?

The Catholics have historically held to a Latin Vulgate Only doctrine, easy to compare to a KJV Only doctrine. So KJVO is actually a lot closer to being a Catholic doctrine.

• Like Like x 1
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The actual WOG cannot have errors, but the man-made KJV can, and DOES ! To insist the KJV is the ONLY valid English Bible translation is wrong and not-too-bright.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am going to tell the truth about you because you are presenting yourself as someone to be taken serious by Christians. Truth #1; You do not believe what the KJV says in Acts 12:4. So, okay, you do not believe Acts 12:4 in the KJV. So we will be gracious and give you a pass on that, but wait til I tell truth #2. Truth #2 is you do not believe Ge 3:20 in any translation, paraphrase, dynamic equivalence, or manuscript and it has nothing to do with the KJV. This is what you have told us and it is my guess if you kept talking there are plenty of other things in the various works that you would reveal that you do not believe. So when one begins in the front of the scriptures to be an unbeliever it is not surprising that he will be an unbeliever all the way through.

So I am voting "no confidence" in your analysis.

That has not exactly been my position. I have been saying the word of the LORD cannot be in error. He is the only one who can possibly know if it is true that Eve was the mother of all living in Ge 3:20. Life is the meaning of her name.

#103 JD731, Jul 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! Robycop's totally un- Biblical view of Cain and his wife destroys ANY he credibility he has on any Bible topic.

5. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I think some people choose what they will believe and what does not make sense to them. It seems that all English translators agrees with the meaning of Ge 3;20. I consulted Bible Gateway, which has a feature for viewing a single verse from all the English translations together on one page. I did that with this verse and all their translations said nearly the same thing. Eve was the mother of all living.

Now, that does not matter to me because I believe there can be only one true testimony and I am sure it is in the KJV in English and I say so. There was no scriptures that survived the flood so we have to take someone's word for it and I prefer taking the word of someone who was there. But if someone who doubts all English translations are actually and perfectly true, aren't they justified in their own minds of disbelieving all of them even when they all say the same thing? And why would I be surprised if said someone submitted a novel translation all their own that cast doubt on what everyone else believed to be true by reading the words? What if RC3 were in charge of a new translation? How would Genesis 3 read?

And is this not believing ones own subjective account and rejecting the testimony of the eye witness when one will not receive the plain words?

• Like Like x 1
  6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot disprove the fact that "Easter" in Acts 12:4 is a goof; therefore the KJV isn't the WHOLE, UNADULTERATED word of God. It has man-made additions & changes not found in its sources. Acts 12:4 is just one of many. You're stuck with that fact, and therefore wanna change the subject.

7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot disprove the fact the 1611 followed the Bishops Bible in Acts of the Apostles 12:4.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're both wrong.

9. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The majority of the KJV translators may not have been responsible for the rendering “Easter” in the KJV at Acts 12:4. Instead they likely supported the Geneva Bible’s rendering “Passover” and put passover in the text that they prepared for the printers. Just as the KJV translators changed the Bishops’ Bible’s two other uses of “Easter” at John 11:55 to “Passover,” they may have also changed this third use at Acts 12:4.

While Tyndale and Coverdale had used the rendering “Easter” several times for the Jewish Passover, the later English translators had increasingly changed this rendering to “Passover.”

Whiston indicated that a great prelate, the chief supervisor of the KJV, inserted “Easter” back into the text of the KJV at this verse as one of the 14 changes he was said to have made (Life, p. 49). In his 1648 sermon entitled “Truth and Love,” Thomas Hill also noted that Acts 12:4 “was another place that was altered (as you have heard) to keep up that holy time of Easter, as they would think it” (Six Sermons, p. 25).

In his 1727 book, John Currie maintained that at “Acts 12:4 in which place we have Easter, whereas it is the Passover according to the Original, this might be to favor their holy time of Easter, or an Easter communion” (Jus Populi Divinum, p. 38).

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it being suggested that the unbiblical views and non-scriptural views of KJV-only advocates concerning the 1611 KJV destroys ANY credibility that they have on any Bible topic?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my understanding when Tyndale did the New Testament he used what would be our word Easter. When he did the Hebrew books of the law he invented our word Passover.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, has this gotten away from the OP, or what? Both sides are ignoring the OP. I'll try some more.

Do any of you consider Gail Riplinger to be a leader in the movement? I have to say she is because of the impact of her book, New Age Bible Versions (one of the most ridiculous books I've ever had in my hands). Because of that book, many different IFB leaders had her in to preach, ahem speak, at their churches and conferences. It was only after D. A. Waite and friends exposed her as having been divorced and remarried twice that her popularity and readership began to wane.

Now normally I ignore Wikipedia, and tell my students not to quote it in their research papers. Though it can be useful for getting a direction and finding sources, it is quite unreliable. At any rate, her Wiki page says she was born in 1947, This makes her at least 77 at this writing, another old leader closing in on a trip to Heaven (hopefully).

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tyndale is who introduced Easter into the New Testament and was the originator of our word Passover.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My means for the study of the scriptures has included word studies and cross referencing and comparisons. It has led to many revelations that I would not have learned otherwise. That which I have shared about "the word of the LORD" in Ge 15 is one example. I have also learned much about the ways of God and how he presents many truths 3 times in the scriptures as his way of putting his trinitarian signature on the whole thing. Things like baptizing the nation of Israel in water 3 times throughout their history, or saying that each member of the Godhead raised Jesus from the dead or that there are three phases in the resurrection of the dead, the first fruits, the main harvest, and the gleanings, yet it is one resurrection, the first resurrection. That each member of the Godhead is said to indwell the believer in Jesus Christ, The Father in 2 Cor 6;16, The Son in Eph 3:17, and the Spirit in Rom 8:11.One can go on and on with examples.

One of the ways of God is similitudes.
    Ho 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

In the cross references of Acts 12:4 one cannot miss the similitudes that the comparisons reveal. Here are the cross references of this verse from the KJV. Your Bible will probably not cross to the same passages but it is interesting that the KJV crosses to Esther where we have a similar story of a wicked ruler and a man of God and a first month Nissan when the Jewish Passover took place and the death of the wicked ruler and a pretty girl and a miraculous deliverance of the man of God.

It could be, and probably is, you who are missing the spiritual lesson God is teaching by including this story in his holy Scriptures.

Ac 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Mt 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.
    Mt 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
    Ac 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
    Es 3:6 And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.
    Es 3:7 In the first month, that is, the month Nisan, in the twelfth year of king Ahasuerus, they cast Pur, that is, the lot, before Haman from day to day, and from month to month, to the twelfth month, that is, the month Adar.
    Es 3:13 And the letters were sent by posts into all the king’s provinces, to destroy, to kill, and to cause to perish, all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in one day, even upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to take the spoil of them for a prey.
    Pr 19:21 There are many devices in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
    Pr 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
    La 3:37 Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not?
    Mt 26:5 But they said, Not on the feast day, lest there be an uproar among the people.

The program I used to cross reference was the on-line Bible.
    The feast of Purim began as a result of Esther's delivering the Jews.

The month Adar, the 12th month means "glorious."

Acts 12:20 And Herod was highly displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon: but they came with one accord to him, and, having made Blastus the king’s chamberlain their friend, desired peace; because their country was nourished by the king’s country.
    21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them.
    22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
    23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
    24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.
    25 And Barnabas and Saul returned from Jerusalem, when they had fulfilled their ministry, and took with them John, whose surname was Mark.

Barnabas and Saul were in Jerusalem or at least in the area when James was killed by Herod.

Acts 11:27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
    28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
    29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
    30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
    Acts 12:11 Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church.
    2 And he killed James the brother of John with the sword.
    3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
    4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

It seems to me that Herod thought the preachers of Christ were a threat to the Jewish religion. It seems that God wanted this incident to cross to the book of Esther where we learn of the feast of Purim.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would someone like to actually comment on the OP instead of going on irrelevant, pages long rants?

For example, question: Do you know of any books by KJVO advocates or leaders in the last 15 years? I only have one in my library (2016), and I have 37 books on the subject.

16. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know people have written dozens of books about it, has been argued over countless years on countless forums, but to tell you the truth, in my area at least, I don't know of any problem with the KJVO issue. I don't know of any churches that have split over it, I don't know any people who argue over it, I do know people who prefer the King James Version, and I do know churches that use the King James version, but I don't know of any churches that would start an argument, or split because somebody in the congregation used a different Bible translation. In my opinion, it's much ado about nothing, I guess people need a reason to argue on the internet about it. Some people are extremely obsessed with it, which I frankly find more strange than the issue itself. If it does truly go away, some people will have nothing to do with their lives apparently.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of this can cover the FACT that Easter didn't exist when Luke wrote "Acts", and if it had, neither the Jews nor Herod would've observed it, & the Jews wouldn't've left off dealing with Peter because it was ongoing. However, they certainly would, and DID because PASSOVER was ongoing.
    In all fairness to the KJV makers, it's said that a prelate inserted Easter after the KJV was completed. But no matter who put it in, it's still incorrect.

18. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because you may not know of any is not proof whether any churches have split over the KJV-only issue. Have you been to all the churches in America or are you in contact with all the churches in America?

You have been told of a church which split over the issue since I earlier gave the example of a pastor in Michigan who told me firsthand that his church split over this issue. An adult Sunday school teacher in his church stated teaching KJV-onlyism, which led to a split in that church.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brown, David L. The Indestructible Book: Examining the History of our English Bible.
    Cleveland, GA: Old Paths Publications, 2015.
    Daniels, David W. 51 Reasons Why the King James. Ontario, CA: Chick Publications, 2018.
    Daniels, David W. New King James The Bridge Bible. Ontario, CA: Chick Publications, 2020.
    Daniels, David W. and Jack McElroy. Can You Trust Just One Bible? Ontario, CA: Chick, 2015.
    Fortner, Michael D. Editing God: Textual Criticism and Modern Bibles Analyzed. Lawton, OK: Trumpet Press, 2019.
    Gentry, Stephen R. God’s Word To Man A Translation, not a Version. Cleveland, GA: The Old Paths Publications, 2023.
    Hollner, Michael. The King James Only Debate. Winter Springs, FL: Write the Vision Ministry, 2018.
    Hollner, Michael. The King James Only Debate. Winter Springs, FL: Write the Vision Ministry, 2018. (expanded 2020 edition).
    McElroy, Jack. Bible Version Secrets Exposed. Shirley, MA: McElroy Publishing, 2020.
    O’Steen, David. Study Notes on the King James Bible. 2021.
    Peterson, Brandon. Sealed by the King. 2022.
    Riddle, Jeffrey and Christian McShaffrey (eds.). Why I Preach from the Received Text. Winter Springs, FL:
    Greater Heritage Christian Publishing, 2022.
    Ross, Bryan C. The King James Bible in America: An Orthographic, Historical, and Textual Investigation.
    Taos, NM: Dispensational Publishing House, 2019.
    Rov, G. John. Concealed from Christians for the Glory of God. Lulu Publishing, 2019.
    Smith, Jerry. Why Use the King James Bible? Lulu Press, n. d. [first printed in the last 10 years]
    Stringer, Phil. The Unbroken Bible. Corunna, MI: The Bible Nation Society, 2018.
    Van Kleeck, Peter, Jr. A Philosophical Grounding for a Standard Sacred Text. Vol. 1.
    Willis, VA: Amazon, 2021.
    Van Kleeck, Peter, Jr. Then He Poked the Bear. 2022.
    Van Kleeck, Peter, Sr. An Exegetical Grounding for a Standard Sacred Text. Vol. 2. 2021.
    Van Kleeck, Peter, Sr. Fundamentalism’s Folly? A Bible Version Debate Case Study. 2022.
    Van Kleeck, Peter, Sr. and Peter Van Kleeck, Jr. A Theological Grounding for a Standard Sacred Text. Vol. 3. 2022.
    Vance, Laurence M. The Making of the King James Bible: The New Testament. Orlando, FL: Vance Publications, 2015.

20. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that's ONE church you know of! ONE! Lol I know of more churches who have split over the color of carpets and hymn books, way more than the KJVO issue, I'd think. Tell me, what will you do with your time if the KJVO subject goes away? I believe you don't WANT it to go away, because it's your life's obsession, and you're partly responsible for keeping it going.

#120 Baptist4life, Jul 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.